#wave

OK, here goes. I wasn’t going to post here - not one for public vanity really - but I’ve been stumbling around these forums for some time now and it’s probably about time I actually introduced myself!

I’m Ric. I was born in the 80s so grew up during the big gaming boom of the 80s and 90s. While pregnant with me, my mother bought an MSX, a Spectrum, and a Commodore 64 and taught herself to program on them, so I was pretty much born into inevitably following suit really.

By the age of 10 I was more interested in how the games I played were built than in actually playing them, so she taught me to output Hello World in QBasic and that was it - I’d found my purpose.

Over the years I’ve migrated between languages, and today I’m primarily a web developer really. I became lead developer at another agency and learned business from them, then incorporated a web development agency in 2013, QWeb.

In 2017 I found Corona and rediscovered my roots as a game programmer, so earlier this year decided to rebrand the company to be a web and game development agency, and that’s exactly what we’re currently in the process of - rebranding.

I’m very much an ‘old-skool’ developer. Fully fledged engines that do half of the coding for you and let you build with drag-and-drop wizards just don’t cut if for me. I prefer proper old procedural development and Corona gives me this whilst still targeting new devices and advocating mobile-first design - brilliant.

To learn Corona, I built a relatively simple infinite runner game last year called Greedy Monkey. Don’t expect anything amazing, but: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.qweb.Greedy_Monkey

As a company, our first contribution to the gaming market is Qiso, our isometric tile engine. I’ve posted about this plenty already so won’t bore with the detail here. Go look in the marketplace if interested.

Qiso is very much a work in process and we’re reluctant to move on before it’s finished, but already have plans for a 3D engine next (one that doesn’t rely on platform dependant methods) and of course an array of games… Proper games - Greedy Monkey doesn’t count!

Well, that’s me.

Nice story, Ric!

Rob

Hey Ric, thanks again for releasing Qiso on the marketplace.  I’ve only played around with it a little as I don’t really have plans for an isometric project in the near future, but it’s really cool.  I’m also excited to see how your 3D engine takes form.  I’ve been exploring that possibility myself.  Keep us posted!

Glad you like it!

The 3D engine plans are inspired by how Blitz3D worked, if you’re familiar with that? Basically the addition of functions to create basic 3D shapes (cube, sphere, cone, etc), imported .obj files, ‘cameras’ and position/rotate/scale all of those along x,y,z axis. It’ll be interesting to build if nothing else, though haven’t yet figured out the lighting mechanics.

Richard,

What a great mom you have.  You should thank her every day.  Impressive for a mom in the 80s to teach herself programming, as your mom did.  Commodore 64  peeks and pokes - ugh!

Best of luck on your Iso and 3D.  I am going to buy your Qiso plugin soon. Not sure when I will get to doing any iso stuff, but I think that Qiso will be super helpful.

Bob

Hi Richard,

Nice to know you better:) I also like your engine Qiso. 

I don’t one think. How a monkey don’t fall over during looking at me and running at the same time?:slight_smile: hehe

Keep coding.

ldurniat

Thanks guys! The time hogging part of developing any isometric game is always going to be in producing the graphics, but if Qiso helps with the rest then that’s fantastic. Please do get in touch when you’re working on something - would absolutely love to see what games it helps to spawn.

Bob, this absolutely isn’t an attempt to push a sale, but just an FYI - the plugin is currently at $5 as we’ve not been able to push the remaining features out as quickly as expected. I’m not yet sure if that’s an indefinite price drop so if you’re definitely wanting to buy it, now’s the best time :wink:

Thanks Richard … 5 bucks is great price.  Will get it tomorrow.

Nice story, Ric!

Rob

Hey Ric, thanks again for releasing Qiso on the marketplace.  I’ve only played around with it a little as I don’t really have plans for an isometric project in the near future, but it’s really cool.  I’m also excited to see how your 3D engine takes form.  I’ve been exploring that possibility myself.  Keep us posted!

Glad you like it!

The 3D engine plans are inspired by how Blitz3D worked, if you’re familiar with that? Basically the addition of functions to create basic 3D shapes (cube, sphere, cone, etc), imported .obj files, ‘cameras’ and position/rotate/scale all of those along x,y,z axis. It’ll be interesting to build if nothing else, though haven’t yet figured out the lighting mechanics.

Richard,

What a great mom you have.  You should thank her every day.  Impressive for a mom in the 80s to teach herself programming, as your mom did.  Commodore 64  peeks and pokes - ugh!

Best of luck on your Iso and 3D.  I am going to buy your Qiso plugin soon. Not sure when I will get to doing any iso stuff, but I think that Qiso will be super helpful.

Bob

Hi Richard,

Nice to know you better:) I also like your engine Qiso. 

I don’t one think. How a monkey don’t fall over during looking at me and running at the same time?:slight_smile: hehe

Keep coding.

ldurniat

Thanks guys! The time hogging part of developing any isometric game is always going to be in producing the graphics, but if Qiso helps with the rest then that’s fantastic. Please do get in touch when you’re working on something - would absolutely love to see what games it helps to spawn.

Bob, this absolutely isn’t an attempt to push a sale, but just an FYI - the plugin is currently at $5 as we’ve not been able to push the remaining features out as quickly as expected. I’m not yet sure if that’s an indefinite price drop so if you’re definitely wanting to buy it, now’s the best time :wink:

Thanks Richard … 5 bucks is great price.  Will get it tomorrow.