What Corona-built tvOS apps are live?

Hey all, just curious who might have a Corona-built tvOS app live in the App Store and wouldn’t mind sharing any high-level feedback/tips/suggestions on prepping an app for tvOS?  I’ve got a couple games that I have in both iOS and Android that I’d like to get ready for tvOS, but just curious if there’s any big precautions I should take or things I should know before diving in…

Thanks!

Nate

I have one live. My “Christmas Highjacked” game. It’s a side scrolling ski game where you have to avoid obstacles, pick up presents, and rescue Santa and the deer by beating the Yeti level boss.  I’ve never promoted it but tvOS is about 45% of my downloads and being a holiday game, I had a big spike last November before I released it on tvOS.  

I think the biggest thing is apps have to be tvOS Friendly or you will be struggling to get things working.

1. Avoid text input. It’s an awful user experience on Apple TV

2. Your app needs to be “Controller” friendly. You have no “touch” actions, so a game depending on touch will struggle. You need to be able to highlight buttons and except key and axis input to drive your UI (or take accelerometer input). There is a swipable, touch sensitive pad on the remote control but it slightly different than axis events.

3. Obviously it needs to be a landscape 16:9 format app.

4. TV’s have an overscan area which you may or may not be able to control. Having some padding around edge elements is a good safety.

5. While there isn’t much competition there now, having a compelling icon and top shelf artwork are important.

Rob

Thanks Rob!  Really appreciate the insight and sharing your experience.  I’m building a landscape, swipe-oriented game that I think will be perfect for tvOS.  

Hey all, my Corona-produced app just launched on Apple TV! It’s called Just Rain+ and it’s an interactive rain sounds / visualization app. Kind of like my take on the ‘virtual fireplace’, but with an interactive and sleep aid bent to it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/just-rain/id1217712832?mt=8

Here are some promo codes for the app if you would like to give it a try and a (hopefully) positive review! 

4A9YJKHRXEXN

HEMHYJWYT7X6

TETXTPP9XPMH

TAJXHNTRJFNX

NP9T7XRLKREP

Hey.

I used the first promo code.

It looks and sounds great!

I like rain :slight_smile:

But I can’t leave a review. The store says that i need to buy this app (i think the promo codes don’t give the opportunity to leave feedback)

Thanks for giving it a try Vitaliy – I’m glad you like it!

Too bad about not being able to rate the app… thanks for trying anyway!

I used the last code. 

Per this article (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ProvidingPromoCodes.html) it has this line…

“However, customers aren’t able to rate or review an app that was downloaded using an iTunes Connect promo code.”

Like the app. Changing the background/rain colour on a slow colour cycle could be relaxing too!

I have one live. My “Christmas Highjacked” game. It’s a side scrolling ski game where you have to avoid obstacles, pick up presents, and rescue Santa and the deer by beating the Yeti level boss.  I’ve never promoted it but tvOS is about 45% of my downloads and being a holiday game, I had a big spike last November before I released it on tvOS.  

I think the biggest thing is apps have to be tvOS Friendly or you will be struggling to get things working.

1. Avoid text input. It’s an awful user experience on Apple TV

2. Your app needs to be “Controller” friendly. You have no “touch” actions, so a game depending on touch will struggle. You need to be able to highlight buttons and except key and axis input to drive your UI (or take accelerometer input). There is a swipable, touch sensitive pad on the remote control but it slightly different than axis events.

3. Obviously it needs to be a landscape 16:9 format app.

4. TV’s have an overscan area which you may or may not be able to control. Having some padding around edge elements is a good safety.

5. While there isn’t much competition there now, having a compelling icon and top shelf artwork are important.

Rob

Thanks Rob!  Really appreciate the insight and sharing your experience.  I’m building a landscape, swipe-oriented game that I think will be perfect for tvOS.  

Hey all, my Corona-produced app just launched on Apple TV! It’s called Just Rain+ and it’s an interactive rain sounds / visualization app. Kind of like my take on the ‘virtual fireplace’, but with an interactive and sleep aid bent to it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/just-rain/id1217712832?mt=8

Here are some promo codes for the app if you would like to give it a try and a (hopefully) positive review! 

4A9YJKHRXEXN

HEMHYJWYT7X6

TETXTPP9XPMH

TAJXHNTRJFNX

NP9T7XRLKREP

Hey.

I used the first promo code.

It looks and sounds great!

I like rain :slight_smile:

But I can’t leave a review. The store says that i need to buy this app (i think the promo codes don’t give the opportunity to leave feedback)

Thanks for giving it a try Vitaliy – I’m glad you like it!

Too bad about not being able to rate the app… thanks for trying anyway!

I used the last code. 

Per this article (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ProvidingPromoCodes.html) it has this line…

“However, customers aren’t able to rate or review an app that was downloaded using an iTunes Connect promo code.”

Like the app. Changing the background/rain colour on a slow colour cycle could be relaxing too!