What do Concurrent Players mean (from blog post)

Question from Christian Urquhart from blog post:

When it says concurrent players, why does that actually mean, number of players connected to one game or number of players over all games being currently played.

For example (for 100 concurrent users) if my app is a 2 player multiplayer game is that up to 50 games being played at once? what happens if I have 200 games being played? Just looking for some clarification.

CCU means concurrent users (at the same moment in time).

So the number of players connected to you games.

Based on our experience 100 CCU translate to:

• Daily Active Users ( DAU ) = 20 * CCU = 2,000

• Monthly Active Users ( MAU ) = 20 * DAU = 40,000

We offer plans 20CCU (free), 100CCU, 500CCU, 1kCCU, 2kCCU, …

What happens if you reach you CCU limit:

• 100CCU will reject new players (when connecting)

• From 500CCU you have a “burst” and get notified if you go over your limit. Player do not get rejected.

Chris

I am sorry, but I still don’t understand.

Just tell me please what are the limits if I want to make a 1v1 multiplayer realtime game?

Those DAU and MAU don’t help.

Thanks

Every player that is connected is a CCU.

The free plan is 20CCU.

• You can have 20 players connected (at the same time).

• If you have a 1vs1 game you can have 10 games with 2 players each.

• If 20 players are online and player #21 connects he gets refused.

If you go live with your game you will probably subscribe to 100CCU or 500CCU.

• 100CCU allow 50 games 1vs1

• 500CCU allows 250 games 1vs1

CCU means concurrent users (at the same moment in time).

So the number of players connected to you games.

Based on our experience 100 CCU translate to:

• Daily Active Users ( DAU ) = 20 * CCU = 2,000

• Monthly Active Users ( MAU ) = 20 * DAU = 40,000

We offer plans 20CCU (free), 100CCU, 500CCU, 1kCCU, 2kCCU, …

What happens if you reach you CCU limit:

• 100CCU will reject new players (when connecting)

• From 500CCU you have a “burst” and get notified if you go over your limit. Player do not get rejected.

Chris

I am sorry, but I still don’t understand.

Just tell me please what are the limits if I want to make a 1v1 multiplayer realtime game?

Those DAU and MAU don’t help.

Thanks

Every player that is connected is a CCU.

The free plan is 20CCU.

• You can have 20 players connected (at the same time).

• If you have a 1vs1 game you can have 10 games with 2 players each.

• If 20 players are online and player #21 connects he gets refused.

If you go live with your game you will probably subscribe to 100CCU or 500CCU.

• 100CCU allow 50 games 1vs1

• 500CCU allows 250 games 1vs1

• Okay, question about Indie pricing. You say turnover less than 10k, ok I meet that criteria. What if you have an LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp and are an indie, but still turn over less than 10k. I’m finding a lot of barriers for “Indie” but as an indie, you have to protect your personal assets, which is why most file for LLC or C - corp, or S- corp in the USA (especially a law suit happy California, where I live - people sue you for anything here). 

Your site doesn’t specify - so I assume that means I do qualify for pricing, but I’d like clarification (and the site could use some clarification as well).

• Refused connections - okay, I understand this completely. You exceed the limit of CCU no one can connect. That’s fine. What about on the 500 CCU, and you get a “burst” what’s the limit of the burst, is there an overage fee associated with the burst? You talk about optional upgrade, but there is nothing there that talks about the roadmap to such an upgrade.

What I’m getting at is, I really like the idea of this service, but it seems myself and many others are confused on the offerings (just see this thread here > http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/08/15/guest-piece-photon-cloud-corona-sdk-a-dream-team-for-cross-platform-multiplayer-games/

Other than that, looks great - just need some further info. I’m going to give it a run and test it out. :slight_smile:

-Nick

@Nick

1. Yes you qualify as an Indie.

2. The burst is “unlimited” and we send you an email to notify you. We will ask you in this mail to upgrade, otherwiese we may cap the CCU limit, So far we had no problems with this approach.

What else confuses you?

Chris

• Okay, question about Indie pricing. You say turnover less than 10k, ok I meet that criteria. What if you have an LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp and are an indie, but still turn over less than 10k. I’m finding a lot of barriers for “Indie” but as an indie, you have to protect your personal assets, which is why most file for LLC or C - corp, or S- corp in the USA (especially a law suit happy California, where I live - people sue you for anything here). 

Your site doesn’t specify - so I assume that means I do qualify for pricing, but I’d like clarification (and the site could use some clarification as well).

• Refused connections - okay, I understand this completely. You exceed the limit of CCU no one can connect. That’s fine. What about on the 500 CCU, and you get a “burst” what’s the limit of the burst, is there an overage fee associated with the burst? You talk about optional upgrade, but there is nothing there that talks about the roadmap to such an upgrade.

What I’m getting at is, I really like the idea of this service, but it seems myself and many others are confused on the offerings (just see this thread here > http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/08/15/guest-piece-photon-cloud-corona-sdk-a-dream-team-for-cross-platform-multiplayer-games/

Other than that, looks great - just need some further info. I’m going to give it a run and test it out. :slight_smile:

-Nick

@Nick

1. Yes you qualify as an Indie.

2. The burst is “unlimited” and we send you an email to notify you. We will ask you in this mail to upgrade, otherwiese we may cap the CCU limit, So far we had no problems with this approach.

What else confuses you?

Chris