What is the pros and cons when using corona to create apps for mobile?

I’m an android developer!

I’m creating app for google play!

Now I want create next app for both Google Play and App Store!

I did some research on Google and want to use Corona to create the next app!

If you are familiar with android development (create native apps) so can you tell me about the cons and pros when create app using Corona?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi!

First of, I can tell you that for me Corona has been the most fun and speedy SDK for games out of all I’ve tried over the past 10 years.

Pros:

• VERY VERY fast development

• Easy to understand Lua language

• Nice and helpful forum!

• Simple at first, but able to extend to very powerful OOP if wanted

Cons:

• No visual editor for GUI - although software like Level Editor or others can help

• Only 2D (or a little 2.5D in some cases)

• Some hiccups if you want to make business apps.

If you’re an Android developer, I hope you don’t expect to be able to support rotation on Android devices properly. Corona SDK fails to do so. :frowning: See:

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/59359-can-corona-fix-android-orientation-change-bug-fails-to-obey-system-preferences/

Other than that, there are costs and benefits to any development approach. Are you planning a game or non-game app?

I want create a non-game app!

Hmmmm. Can you describe the type of app you would like to make?

I have been using Corona for 12 months for business Apps and it is excellent. The only issue is text input, but following purchasing Widget Candy (which is not a great library if I am honest), it did however give the best idea on how to deal with text input more effectively. I have then adapted my approach for multi-line text input (which it did not support) so now I have all the tools I needed. Top tips for good business apps are:- start to build your own library of useful functions specifically for business. My library now contains functions to do your “typical” business type objects like drop down lists, combo boxes, boxed fields, yes / no switches etc. All of the tools are in Corona, but they are a bit raw - if package them up a bit it will make your life a million times easier. The other tip is keep on top of variable declaration and scope. You need to tidy up well when you leave a scene as lua/corona does not like objects in memory, especially anything with a scroll view. Finally, if data is going to be used, build a good quality HTTP library from the start to help with your DB comms…

Hi!

First of, I can tell you that for me Corona has been the most fun and speedy SDK for games out of all I’ve tried over the past 10 years.

Pros:

• VERY VERY fast development

• Easy to understand Lua language

• Nice and helpful forum!

• Simple at first, but able to extend to very powerful OOP if wanted

Cons:

• No visual editor for GUI - although software like Level Editor or others can help

• Only 2D (or a little 2.5D in some cases)

• Some hiccups if you want to make business apps.

If you’re an Android developer, I hope you don’t expect to be able to support rotation on Android devices properly. Corona SDK fails to do so. :frowning: See:

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/59359-can-corona-fix-android-orientation-change-bug-fails-to-obey-system-preferences/

Other than that, there are costs and benefits to any development approach. Are you planning a game or non-game app?

I want create a non-game app!

Hmmmm. Can you describe the type of app you would like to make?

I have been using Corona for 12 months for business Apps and it is excellent. The only issue is text input, but following purchasing Widget Candy (which is not a great library if I am honest), it did however give the best idea on how to deal with text input more effectively. I have then adapted my approach for multi-line text input (which it did not support) so now I have all the tools I needed. Top tips for good business apps are:- start to build your own library of useful functions specifically for business. My library now contains functions to do your “typical” business type objects like drop down lists, combo boxes, boxed fields, yes / no switches etc. All of the tools are in Corona, but they are a bit raw - if package them up a bit it will make your life a million times easier. The other tip is keep on top of variable declaration and scope. You need to tidy up well when you leave a scene as lua/corona does not like objects in memory, especially anything with a scroll view. Finally, if data is going to be used, build a good quality HTTP library from the start to help with your DB comms…