Where to save a data file I can transfer after?

Hello,

My app needs to create a basic text file that I will need to save and then transfer to a windows computer with the USB connection. The user will not have wifi or anything else and I need to get it on a laptop after using the app this way. I looked at the directories I can save to and I do not see how this can be done. Is there? Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Warren
[import]uid: 184193 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 67513[/import]

As far as I know this can’t be done - not without serious trickery at least. Applications are completely sandboxed, meaning you can’t access an app’s data from outside this app, unless you upload it to a server. Maybe Android is less restrictive but at least iOS devices work this way - unless you jailbreak 'em.

As a simple workaround, maybe you can mail this textfile somewhere as an attachment, although I haven’t verified. But if as you say it must be a USB cable I think you’re out of luck. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145683[/import]

Oh yeah, I just remembered. If this is only for you to use, there is software out there to “backup” your iPhone or iPad that you can use to access your device, sort of like a disk mode, over USB - I’m sure it exists for Android phones too. Try Googling for it. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145685[/import]

Well, the windows laptop will not have internet access where it is so I can only load the file on by using the USB wire to transfer it. I have an GREAT program to write that i can make some good money on but now looks like I can’t. It has to be simple to copy the file over to the windows laptop. Is this standard for all mobile developing software? I like this Corona but will try another if it will work with saving a file where I can access it.

Thanks

Warren
[import]uid: 184193 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145688[/import]

iOS apps are sandboxed no matter how you develop 'em, I believe. Android, don’t know. Like I said, there’s software to get to files, but it’s not superstraightforward. If you have a laptop with wi-fi but no internet access there should be ways to set up the laptop as a webserver and connect to the laptop over wi-fi, but that’s out of my area of expertise.

I am a bit confused though - if you’re selling this app, surely most users will have a working internet connection, and then again, if it’s just for one specific user, you should be able to use a workaround like the software I mentioned. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145689[/import]

Unfortunately they won’t have internet access. I am writing an app for users to sign up on a tablet and then load the file to a laptop to eliminate writing on a form and they retyping. This is for a special event that is done at a specific location with no internet. I don’t want to do any network stuff. The people who use this are not too savy with all that stuff. If I can’t do it with corona labs, then I can’t. I’m checking on one other software now. It says in their forum that you can use itunes and drag a file from the Documents folder to the pc.

Thanks for your help though!

Warren
[import]uid: 184193 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145690[/import]

You’re welcome! Don’t forget the option of having everyone register at the event, and only wiring the file over say the next day, or installing some $20 dollar iPhone-backup software that can probably get at the files. A hassle if you have to do it for every single entry, but no trouble if you can do it “bulk”. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145692[/import]

As far as I know this can’t be done - not without serious trickery at least. Applications are completely sandboxed, meaning you can’t access an app’s data from outside this app, unless you upload it to a server. Maybe Android is less restrictive but at least iOS devices work this way - unless you jailbreak 'em.

As a simple workaround, maybe you can mail this textfile somewhere as an attachment, although I haven’t verified. But if as you say it must be a USB cable I think you’re out of luck. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145683[/import]

Oh yeah, I just remembered. If this is only for you to use, there is software out there to “backup” your iPhone or iPad that you can use to access your device, sort of like a disk mode, over USB - I’m sure it exists for Android phones too. Try Googling for it. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145685[/import]

Well, the windows laptop will not have internet access where it is so I can only load the file on by using the USB wire to transfer it. I have an GREAT program to write that i can make some good money on but now looks like I can’t. It has to be simple to copy the file over to the windows laptop. Is this standard for all mobile developing software? I like this Corona but will try another if it will work with saving a file where I can access it.

Thanks

Warren
[import]uid: 184193 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145688[/import]

iOS apps are sandboxed no matter how you develop 'em, I believe. Android, don’t know. Like I said, there’s software to get to files, but it’s not superstraightforward. If you have a laptop with wi-fi but no internet access there should be ways to set up the laptop as a webserver and connect to the laptop over wi-fi, but that’s out of my area of expertise.

I am a bit confused though - if you’re selling this app, surely most users will have a working internet connection, and then again, if it’s just for one specific user, you should be able to use a workaround like the software I mentioned. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145689[/import]

Unfortunately they won’t have internet access. I am writing an app for users to sign up on a tablet and then load the file to a laptop to eliminate writing on a form and they retyping. This is for a special event that is done at a specific location with no internet. I don’t want to do any network stuff. The people who use this are not too savy with all that stuff. If I can’t do it with corona labs, then I can’t. I’m checking on one other software now. It says in their forum that you can use itunes and drag a file from the Documents folder to the pc.

Thanks for your help though!

Warren
[import]uid: 184193 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145690[/import]

You’re welcome! Don’t forget the option of having everyone register at the event, and only wiring the file over say the next day, or installing some $20 dollar iPhone-backup software that can probably get at the files. A hassle if you have to do it for every single entry, but no trouble if you can do it “bulk”. [import]uid: 70134 topic_id: 37513 reply_id: 145692[/import]