Why isn't the info in these podcast just posted as a webpage?

I was wondering why isn’t the info available as a webpage? Instead of this video that according to the stats on youtube almost nobody watches. If this info is being mentioned on the blog every time and people that work for Corona seem to pop up in it regularly shouldn’t the time and effort be put in something people would actually use? A lot of the videos seem to generate around 40 views, which is not that much.

I tried to watch once, but after watching a bunch of guys sit next to each other and laugh for ten minutes about their own jokes, without saying anything coherent I stopped.

I used to wonder whether I was missing some golden nuggets in the videos. Having watched a couple some time ago - I decided there was too much padding. I simply do not have the time to sit through the video in its entirety to find the gold. I too question its popularity and usefulness. Just my humble opinion…

@Juf Jannie, @MAS1, thank you for the feedback. It’s good to have insights into how the videos are perceived. The Corona Geek Hangouts have been an interesting experiment in community outreach.

Using video gives us a presence on YouTube, which a great place for discovery of new tools and technologies.  There seems to be a mix of people who watch / listen the shows. While some videos get fewer views, some get several hundred views in the first week. Some people listen exclusively on their weekly commutes, while some have told us they like watching the videos.

Sometimes topics fall flat and sometime they take off. It’s not always obvious which ones will be a hit. That said, we are very open to experimenting with the format. Are there topics you’d like covered, or format changes you’d like to see?

BTW, thank you to Dr. Burton, Ed Maurina, Sergey Lerg, Greg Pugh, Jen Looper, and all the other guests / panelists who have generously donated their time over the past several years. The friendships and history that have been shared make the show fun to do each week.

It should be edited and trimmed down a lot. Like I said, my few experiences only got me a shots of a few men laughing about some inside joke. For minutes. I started skipping in time and 15 minutes later still nothing but an incoherent mess and people laughing. 
The start up etc takes a long time. I accept that it might be hilarious to do and a lot of fun. But a lot of it seems people patting themselves on the back or being overly gracious and overdone with compliments to each other. 
Do that stuff before the show, after the show, not during. A thanks for coming should suffice.
There is an option in youtube where you can place markers at certain time points. That way you could just jump to specific sections.

There is so much fluff in it at the moment that I makes it hard to watch. 

A few might reach a few hundred but a lot never even reach the hundred views mark. Corona is supposedly a big community, so it should reach hundreds easily. If you look at other videos on Corona, they get more views. 

If you tidy up the format, make it more concise streamline it, then there is still space for the funny haha moments, but it is also a lot more accessible. 
This should be aimed at programmers, a lot of them professional app makers, the way it is formatted now, it is not.

Thank you Juf Jannie. Excellent points all around.

Here’s what we will do to make it better:

1. Create a calendar of up-coming topics

2. Implement a topic suggestion box

3. Include more “how-to” coding segments

4. Include more industry guest interviews

5. Chop the full recording into smaller clips

Number 5 is the biggest improvement I think. That way you can go to the topic that is the most interesting for you without having to go through the stuff that might be cool, but just not for you.
Say a topic on android development with the top of the biz, would be really cool for people who care about Android. If you don’t use Android it might be something you want to skip. If you had the separate clips people could go straight to the info that works for them.

Also it will give you more insight in the clips being watched. Instead of people skipping the complete video cause it is too long or they have a hard time finding what they want, they will play the ones they want.

Also it will be more fun for you guys seeing the view count increase, easier to get guests. Knowing that people watch your videos is very stimulating. 

I never thought of Corona Geek as a lecture or workshop, but like a bunch of people getting together at a coffee shop to talk about Corona and share tips.

If the goal is the latter, you hit it, I think. :slight_smile:

Maybe think about paying some Corona legends to make videos. For example J. A. Whye, Ingemar and Lerg and the likes to make advanced targeted videos on their own to be published on the Corona Geek channel.

Great suggestion, @jonjonsson. We are totally open to publishing community videos on the Corona Geek channel. In the past we’ve created YouTube playlists to feature Corona Developer videos as we have discovered them, but that doesn’t promote their videos to channel subscribers. Publishing their videos on the Corona Geek channel would give developers more exposure for sure.

Video is extremely important these days, so we would want to encourage developers to create videos for their own channels, but getting them to create an occasional video for Corona Geek would be good promotion for their channel.

Let me think about the details and we’ll see what we can get going. If you have any other thoughts on this, please share.

Maybe it would be helpful to use chapter marks in the YouTube videos. So if you’re interested in just a single topic of the whole talk you can just jump to it.

I used to wonder whether I was missing some golden nuggets in the videos. Having watched a couple some time ago - I decided there was too much padding. I simply do not have the time to sit through the video in its entirety to find the gold. I too question its popularity and usefulness. Just my humble opinion…

@Juf Jannie, @MAS1, thank you for the feedback. It’s good to have insights into how the videos are perceived. The Corona Geek Hangouts have been an interesting experiment in community outreach.

Using video gives us a presence on YouTube, which a great place for discovery of new tools and technologies.  There seems to be a mix of people who watch / listen the shows. While some videos get fewer views, some get several hundred views in the first week. Some people listen exclusively on their weekly commutes, while some have told us they like watching the videos.

Sometimes topics fall flat and sometime they take off. It’s not always obvious which ones will be a hit. That said, we are very open to experimenting with the format. Are there topics you’d like covered, or format changes you’d like to see?

BTW, thank you to Dr. Burton, Ed Maurina, Sergey Lerg, Greg Pugh, Jen Looper, and all the other guests / panelists who have generously donated their time over the past several years. The friendships and history that have been shared make the show fun to do each week.

It should be edited and trimmed down a lot. Like I said, my few experiences only got me a shots of a few men laughing about some inside joke. For minutes. I started skipping in time and 15 minutes later still nothing but an incoherent mess and people laughing. 
The start up etc takes a long time. I accept that it might be hilarious to do and a lot of fun. But a lot of it seems people patting themselves on the back or being overly gracious and overdone with compliments to each other. 
Do that stuff before the show, after the show, not during. A thanks for coming should suffice.
There is an option in youtube where you can place markers at certain time points. That way you could just jump to specific sections.

There is so much fluff in it at the moment that I makes it hard to watch. 

A few might reach a few hundred but a lot never even reach the hundred views mark. Corona is supposedly a big community, so it should reach hundreds easily. If you look at other videos on Corona, they get more views. 

If you tidy up the format, make it more concise streamline it, then there is still space for the funny haha moments, but it is also a lot more accessible. 
This should be aimed at programmers, a lot of them professional app makers, the way it is formatted now, it is not.

Thank you Juf Jannie. Excellent points all around.

Here’s what we will do to make it better:

1. Create a calendar of up-coming topics

2. Implement a topic suggestion box

3. Include more “how-to” coding segments

4. Include more industry guest interviews

5. Chop the full recording into smaller clips

Number 5 is the biggest improvement I think. That way you can go to the topic that is the most interesting for you without having to go through the stuff that might be cool, but just not for you.
Say a topic on android development with the top of the biz, would be really cool for people who care about Android. If you don’t use Android it might be something you want to skip. If you had the separate clips people could go straight to the info that works for them.

Also it will give you more insight in the clips being watched. Instead of people skipping the complete video cause it is too long or they have a hard time finding what they want, they will play the ones they want.

Also it will be more fun for you guys seeing the view count increase, easier to get guests. Knowing that people watch your videos is very stimulating. 

I never thought of Corona Geek as a lecture or workshop, but like a bunch of people getting together at a coffee shop to talk about Corona and share tips.

If the goal is the latter, you hit it, I think. :slight_smile:

Maybe think about paying some Corona legends to make videos. For example J. A. Whye, Ingemar and Lerg and the likes to make advanced targeted videos on their own to be published on the Corona Geek channel.

Great suggestion, @jonjonsson. We are totally open to publishing community videos on the Corona Geek channel. In the past we’ve created YouTube playlists to feature Corona Developer videos as we have discovered them, but that doesn’t promote their videos to channel subscribers. Publishing their videos on the Corona Geek channel would give developers more exposure for sure.

Video is extremely important these days, so we would want to encourage developers to create videos for their own channels, but getting them to create an occasional video for Corona Geek would be good promotion for their channel.

Let me think about the details and we’ll see what we can get going. If you have any other thoughts on this, please share.

Maybe it would be helpful to use chapter marks in the YouTube videos. So if you’re interested in just a single topic of the whole talk you can just jump to it.