Win32 Corona App crashes after short period with "Application closed with exit code: -805306369"

Hi,

I have a Win32 app developed with Corona which is crashing on one particular customers computer. I got him to run the corona log viewer and that also crashes when he tries to save the log file. He managed to capture the following line though from the end of the log

Application closed with exit code: -805306369

He says the problem is occuring whenever he moved the app to his second screen. It will idle fine on the primary screen but once dragged over to the second screen it will crash after a short period. Both screens are on the graphics card (GTX1080Ti). 

Any idea what that error code is pointing to, i tried googling it but without much luck.

Thanks

I have perhaps found a solution for someone who have a similar issue (with a 1080)

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Device manager.
  2. Search for Display Adapters.
  3. Right-click on the graphics card and click on Update driver software.

You may also install the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to install the graphic drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Method 2:

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

1. Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right-click on the installer and click on “Properties”.
  3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
  4. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Thanks for your ideas, however I have already got him to update to the latest graphics drivers to see if that helps but it has not made any difference. One thing that might be a factor is that he is on the very latest Windows 10 build rev 1803, not sure whether that could be having any impact. My own win 10 machine is still on 1709. I know (for example) that 1703 caused a number of compatibility problems with some apps (graphical issues), however they seemed to sort it for 1709. Perhaps 1803 has introduced some new ones. If this is the case I would expect to get similar reports from other users as their windows also gets updated. 

Re your second idea, im not sure i see the purpose of running the installer in compatibility mode, the display driver installation itself is not failing and compatibility mode would only apply to the installer for the duration of the installation process. Given that its an NVidia card, their driver installers are certainly not legacy applications and should not need to run in compatibility mode. I can suggest that he try it none the less, as anything is worth a try at this point.

The good news is that I think this has been figured out! After asking the customer to check the windows event logs, he starting to notice that every crash seemed to be connected to “SS2DevProps.dll” in the Event Viewer. After some research he found that this is a library used by Sonic Studio II, an Asus software package that is automatically installed when you install the audio drivers. A lot of people on the internet are complaining that this sonic studio 2 cause a lot of Windows app to crash. He wasn’t even using it so uninstalled it completely along with all of its plugins. Now the app seems to work properly, not a single crash since removing it.

I have perhaps found a solution for someone who have a similar issue (with a 1080)

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Device manager.
  2. Search for Display Adapters.
  3. Right-click on the graphics card and click on Update driver software.

You may also install the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to install the graphic drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Method 2:

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

1. Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right-click on the installer and click on “Properties”.
  3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
  4. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Thanks for your ideas, however I have already got him to update to the latest graphics drivers to see if that helps but it has not made any difference. One thing that might be a factor is that he is on the very latest Windows 10 build rev 1803, not sure whether that could be having any impact. My own win 10 machine is still on 1709. I know (for example) that 1703 caused a number of compatibility problems with some apps (graphical issues), however they seemed to sort it for 1709. Perhaps 1803 has introduced some new ones. If this is the case I would expect to get similar reports from other users as their windows also gets updated. 

Re your second idea, im not sure i see the purpose of running the installer in compatibility mode, the display driver installation itself is not failing and compatibility mode would only apply to the installer for the duration of the installation process. Given that its an NVidia card, their driver installers are certainly not legacy applications and should not need to run in compatibility mode. I can suggest that he try it none the less, as anything is worth a try at this point.

The good news is that I think this has been figured out! After asking the customer to check the windows event logs, he starting to notice that every crash seemed to be connected to “SS2DevProps.dll” in the Event Viewer. After some research he found that this is a library used by Sonic Studio II, an Asus software package that is automatically installed when you install the audio drivers. A lot of people on the internet are complaining that this sonic studio 2 cause a lot of Windows app to crash. He wasn’t even using it so uninstalled it completely along with all of its plugins. Now the app seems to work properly, not a single crash since removing it.