Windows version unusable

I was trying to have a look at CPM and was playing with the Windows free version but it was completely unusable. I tried contacting the developer but never heard back.

If I tried to start the simulator, it would take 3-4 attempts to get it to do so, typically takes around 1-2 minutes until I can finally get it to launch. When I hit any button it seems to “think” or pause. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 333087[/import]

I have your query in my in-box and my reply in Sent - it must have been waylaid between my house and yours.

Copy-paste…
That’s certainly not the experience of most people running CPM in Windows – I test it on the same version you’re using (Win7 Pro 64bit). And while most of my users are on Mac (it’s about an 80%/20% split) there are enough people using the Windows version for me to know what’s happening to you isn’t typical (in general).

>> It seems every keypress/mouse click causes the app to go into “thinking” mode.

I’m not sure what could cause that to happen. Do you have some kind of system-wide utility running that watches keystrokes (maybe a macro program, keylogger, etc.)?

Weirdness does happen every once in a while for someone and I’ve worked with a few people where we’ve never figured out the problem.

But usually with something like this it’s some other 3rd-party software that battles with CPM.

Any idea if you have something “different” on your system?

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131434[/import]

I never received it, sorry about that.
I didn’t see anything in my spam folder, so I am not sure where it got lost.

Anyway, I “upgraded” to Windows 8 and tried it there, and I am having the same issues on a clean install.

It isn’t just keystrokes, mouse clicks as well. For example, I click “play” to execute the simulator and it takes a good 10-30 seconds to start. I’m on a quad 4.5GHz 32GB ram w/ raid 0 SSD drives system, LuaGlider and using Corona SDK directly launch sub second.

It is not limited to hitting play, I ran one of my existing projects which didn’t work until I realized I had to copy in my sub folders and none-lua files (like .txt, .ttf) to get it to see them. Doing this caused the waiting circle to show up for a good 10-40 seconds. Every step seems to get it to go “not responding” although I don’t actually get a not responding message, that’s what it feels like.

I am on a clean install of Windows 8 Professional, with only a few applications installed, and experiencing the same issues. I have a Mac machine with monitors next to this machine and I use both, but I primarily code on my Windows box and send it to the Mac for distribution. I have not tried it on the mac as of yet as I do most of my editing on this box.
[import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131440[/import]

That’s so odd.

Are you running as admin or a “normal” user? I’ve seen some problems related to that, although nothing like what you’re experiencing.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131444[/import]

I’m running as an admin capable user but without admin escalation. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131445[/import]

Just wondering, do you have CPM installed on a network drive, or USB drive, or are using a project saved in Dropbox?

Any of those things in play?

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131454[/import]

CPM installed locally.
Project stored on a NAS.
I can try storing the project locally in a few and see if it is any better. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131477[/import]

I have your query in my in-box and my reply in Sent - it must have been waylaid between my house and yours.

Copy-paste…
That’s certainly not the experience of most people running CPM in Windows – I test it on the same version you’re using (Win7 Pro 64bit). And while most of my users are on Mac (it’s about an 80%/20% split) there are enough people using the Windows version for me to know what’s happening to you isn’t typical (in general).

>> It seems every keypress/mouse click causes the app to go into “thinking” mode.

I’m not sure what could cause that to happen. Do you have some kind of system-wide utility running that watches keystrokes (maybe a macro program, keylogger, etc.)?

Weirdness does happen every once in a while for someone and I’ve worked with a few people where we’ve never figured out the problem.

But usually with something like this it’s some other 3rd-party software that battles with CPM.

Any idea if you have something “different” on your system?

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131434[/import]

I never received it, sorry about that.
I didn’t see anything in my spam folder, so I am not sure where it got lost.

Anyway, I “upgraded” to Windows 8 and tried it there, and I am having the same issues on a clean install.

It isn’t just keystrokes, mouse clicks as well. For example, I click “play” to execute the simulator and it takes a good 10-30 seconds to start. I’m on a quad 4.5GHz 32GB ram w/ raid 0 SSD drives system, LuaGlider and using Corona SDK directly launch sub second.

It is not limited to hitting play, I ran one of my existing projects which didn’t work until I realized I had to copy in my sub folders and none-lua files (like .txt, .ttf) to get it to see them. Doing this caused the waiting circle to show up for a good 10-40 seconds. Every step seems to get it to go “not responding” although I don’t actually get a not responding message, that’s what it feels like.

I am on a clean install of Windows 8 Professional, with only a few applications installed, and experiencing the same issues. I have a Mac machine with monitors next to this machine and I use both, but I primarily code on my Windows box and send it to the Mac for distribution. I have not tried it on the mac as of yet as I do most of my editing on this box.
[import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131440[/import]

That’s so odd.

Are you running as admin or a “normal” user? I’ve seen some problems related to that, although nothing like what you’re experiencing.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131444[/import]

I’m running as an admin capable user but without admin escalation. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131445[/import]

Just wondering, do you have CPM installed on a network drive, or USB drive, or are using a project saved in Dropbox?

Any of those things in play?

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131454[/import]

I copied a project to my desktop, and it seems to perform normal. It does seem to have issues when files are on a network drive, regardless of how fast the drive is. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131528[/import]

Okay, thanks for checking that out. (And thanks to Mark Rosewood for going, “Pssst! Ask him about a network drive.”)

I’m not sure why CPM has a problem with remote projects – when CPM launches it copies all needed files to a sandbox and then launches the simulator from there. Maybe I need to set some kind of flag to make sure the assets all get finished copying before I launch the simulator, or something like that.

I’ll look into that soon. I’m just finishing up the next release this coming week.

Jay

PS - For those who care, the reason CPM copies the files to another place before launching the simulator is to allow things like Dynamic Assets, file aliasing, and other preprocessing. [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131536[/import]

CPM installed locally.
Project stored on a NAS.
I can try storing the project locally in a few and see if it is any better. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131477[/import]

I copied a project to my desktop, and it seems to perform normal. It does seem to have issues when files are on a network drive, regardless of how fast the drive is. [import]uid: 160288 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131528[/import]

Okay, thanks for checking that out. (And thanks to Mark Rosewood for going, “Pssst! Ask him about a network drive.”)

I’m not sure why CPM has a problem with remote projects – when CPM launches it copies all needed files to a sandbox and then launches the simulator from there. Maybe I need to set some kind of flag to make sure the assets all get finished copying before I launch the simulator, or something like that.

I’ll look into that soon. I’m just finishing up the next release this coming week.

Jay

PS - For those who care, the reason CPM copies the files to another place before launching the simulator is to allow things like Dynamic Assets, file aliasing, and other preprocessing. [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 33087 reply_id: 131536[/import]