Wish we would have similar articles written for Corona SDK...

“Appcelerator gears up for the business world”

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/appcelerator-gears-the-business-world-246579

How nice it is to see that some leaders recognize the potential of catering for the business apps market and that they are building stronger support in this field into their offering.

I simply wish Corona Labs leadership takes a page off this playbook and runs with it sooner than later.

Wishing you all a great weekend. 

Corona Labs being the size it is, I think their smartest move would be to decide they’re a framework for making games and ditch any thoughts of supporting business apps. Turn widgets lose and make it an open-source, community-supported, external library.

I say this even though I am in the middle of making a new biz app using Corona SDK. 

If CL were bigger and could devote an engineer or two to business-type stuff, then I take back my first sentence. But they be small. And when you’re small it’s really hard to split your focus and still be “best of breed.”

Jay

PS - Since Appcelerator has always been focused on business apps, seeing an article where they “gear up for the game world” would be the equivalent of CL making a big push into business.

[EDIT: I don’t *hope* they ditch biz app support, but I’d understand if they did it at some point.]

Interesting perspective. Your comments reminds me an Eric Carle storybook I used to read for my daughters when they were young… The Mixed-up Chameleon. 

The issue for me is greater than the widgets. The fact that I can’t get native look & feel without a lot of effort is starting to affect my results. I can’t get full map capabilities, can’t access device settings area and create a panel there for my app etc etc. The list goes on. I need to be able to make my apps appear more native like and I can’t do that in Corona SDK without jumping through the hoops if at all. 

I certainly hope CL does not ditch business apps community and realizes there is huge growth potential for all involved parties in this field. I am thankful for what CL has given us but certainly want to see more along the way and sooner than later please! 

Corona Labs being the size it is, I think their smartest move would be to decide they’re a framework for making games and ditch any thoughts of supporting business apps. Turn widgets lose and make it an open-source, community-supported, external library.

I say this even though I am in the middle of making a new biz app using Corona SDK. 

If CL were bigger and could devote an engineer or two to business-type stuff, then I take back my first sentence. But they be small. And when you’re small it’s really hard to split your focus and still be “best of breed.”

Jay

PS - Since Appcelerator has always been focused on business apps, seeing an article where they “gear up for the game world” would be the equivalent of CL making a big push into business.

[EDIT: I don’t *hope* they ditch biz app support, but I’d understand if they did it at some point.]

Interesting perspective. Your comments reminds me an Eric Carle storybook I used to read for my daughters when they were young… The Mixed-up Chameleon. 

The issue for me is greater than the widgets. The fact that I can’t get native look & feel without a lot of effort is starting to affect my results. I can’t get full map capabilities, can’t access device settings area and create a panel there for my app etc etc. The list goes on. I need to be able to make my apps appear more native like and I can’t do that in Corona SDK without jumping through the hoops if at all. 

I certainly hope CL does not ditch business apps community and realizes there is huge growth potential for all involved parties in this field. I am thankful for what CL has given us but certainly want to see more along the way and sooner than later please!