Working on CPM v3

Would love to beta this! Been using xCode and text Wrangler as of right now. [import]uid: 87791 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 81759[/import]

My killer feature for CPM would be the ability to launch the corona build process directly with profiles, version, xcode sim or file selected.

When testing features that only work in hardware or Xcode like web or Facebook its a lot of clicking each time to make a build.

I like the new interface changes. [import]uid: 110373 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 81760[/import]

Hi,

Any news regarding release ?

Regards
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 82715[/import]

I’d like it if when I triple-click on a line, it highlights (selects) the whole line to copy/cut/paste. [import]uid: 10389 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 82843[/import]

Still eager to try this out! :slight_smile: [import]uid: 33866 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 82848[/import]

any news regarding 3.0 release ?

Regards
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 84631[/import]

No real news – not news that people want to hear, like, it’s done tomorrow or anything like that. As many people know, CPM doesn’t make me a living, so I do other things on the side every once in a while. That’s basically what happened to January – a freelance gig that should have lasted a week still isn’t done, so CPM dev got pushed aside.

However, last week I decided I needed to devote at least an hour or two a day to CPM – even BEFORE doing the paying work.

And the good news is that I got to the point in v3 where v2.x doesn’t work for me anymore (database changes) which means I can’t fire up CPM to answer tech support questions, try out code, etc. That’s bad news for me, but good news in a way because it *really* gives me an incentive to get this thing out the door. :slight_smile:

As a red-blooded American I’ll be watching the Super Bowl tomorrow (for the commercials, because who freakin’ cares about two east coast teams playing?!?!?) but I’ll be doing it from my desk where CPM v3 will have most of my attention.

Ask me again in a week how things are going and I think I should have some better news. :slight_smile:

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 84699[/import]

the only super bowl I pay attention to is this super bowl full of tasty cereals and milk *nom nom nom*

:slight_smile:

-finefin [import]uid: 70635 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 84750[/import]

any news ?

Regards
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 86354[/import]

Not quite yet. And just so you don’t think it’s a “problem” that’s holding things up, it’s simply the sheer amount of “stuff” CPM does combined with the limited time I find myself with right now.

In order to make the interface changes I had to replace some of the actual controls CPM uses. So lots of little things needed to be hooked up to the new controls. I did just get it to the point where I can use it, but there are still things that a normal user would find too frustrating.

Example: When you add an asset to a project it doesn’t show up until you click a different project and then back. It’s still there and usable, just not showing in the list. Same when you delete one – it’s gone, but still shows until the project list gets refreshed.

Little things like that. And it seems there are an almost endless supply of those little things. :slight_smile:

I could just have my own version of “Daily Builds” and let people experiment with it, but due to a change in the database once you switch to v3 you can’t switch back. (Note to self – automatically make a backup copy of the current database when people upgrade to v3.) So it’s not like you could pop back and forth from one to the other (on the same machine).

I know there are some people who like to live on the bleeding edge – I just don’t want to be the one to blame if you open a vein because it’s not quite solid enough. :slight_smile:

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 86707[/import]

Jay,

Why not release alpha / beta version for testing ? At least for paid customers. I can risk and use 3.0 even when no switch back option would be available.

Regards,
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 86711[/import]

I am happy with my current version as it is and don’t mind waiting for the next one. :slight_smile: [import]uid: 10389 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 86714[/import]

Ive heard that in 3.0 there will be option to order soft drinks … remotely … without the tips :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, any update ?

Regards,
Tom

[import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 88180[/import]

While it would be cool if sales of CPM paid all the bills, it doesn’t. Almost, but leaves enough of a gap that every once in a while I need an influx of cash from somewhere else and so in mid-January I took a two-week freelance gig that Will. Not. Die.

Honestly, it’s the project from hell (or from the outskirts, anyway) and it reminds me why I got out of the web-app development biz a few years ago.

So that has been the main hold-up for the last month – it’s sucking all my time (and most of my soul) and the one good thing is that it has strengthened my resolve to build the tools for Corona SDK game/app development that *will* pay all the bills.

But I have to get this project beaten into submission, first. I finally am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel and am hoping to wrap it up within the next week.

That said, I *did* sneak some work in on CPM yesterday and killed an annoying bug. It’s to the point where I could probably send a copy to people named Tom (and others) except I’m seeing a crash with the final build that I’m NOT seeing with the dev version, which means debugging is very hard – no way to step through the final build.

But I will keep poking at it and will try and keep you updated of bugs squashed and progress made so you’ll know it’s still coming. :slight_smile:

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 88188[/import]

Jay,

That would be nice :slight_smile: I am eager to test it :slight_smile:

Regards,
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 88720[/import]

Jay,

I’d be happy to take a poke at the release version for you, as well. [import]uid: 5317 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 88721[/import]

…and I can check out dual screen to single screen behaviour (and do a stand up test on XP if you want it). [import]uid: 39538 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 88822[/import]

Jay,

And what about the special edition called “2.8 and a half” before 3.0 will be released :wink: ?

Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 89862[/import]

At the risk of being too open, the main holdup (besides my lack of time the last month) has been a bug in the editor code. For those who like to watch videos of bugs happening, you can see that here (or, you can go watch grass grow - same level of excitement):
http://instantvideowebpages.com/play/notmplvid.php?799

That has been popping up randomly for the last few weeks – in fact, it happened so much over the weekend that I ditched v3 part way into the 48-Hour Challenge and finished my stint using TextMate. You *know* that had to hurt! :slight_smile:

The (very) good news is late last night I discovered a minuscule set of steps that will repeat the problem every time. And those of you who have done serious debugging know that’s at least half the battle.

That has been the hold-up for getting an alpha version of v3 into certain peoples’ hands, but as soon as that’s fixed I’ll put up a download link. Because the rest of the stuff that still isn’t hooked up still allows you to get actual work done.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 89969[/import]

Jay,

Sorry for repeating my self over and over again… but i am curious about changes in 3.0.

Maybe you could share with us a video which describe in short major features, not just showing one particular function with details.

Regards
Tom [import]uid: 111283 topic_id: 19485 reply_id: 91317[/import]