4 Pics 1 Word - Corona SDK template available

This template is a fully functioning ‘freemium’ game which is commented throughout, allowing anyone to release their own ‘4 pics 1 word’ style game by swapping in their own theme, graphics, clues etc. This was the engine used to release our apps Picture Word, Which Team and Band in 4 Pics.

Can also be used as a learning tool to see how a fully functioning game is put together using Corona SDK.

The cost is $14.99 and is available to buy here:

Gumroad for credit/debit card payments: https://gumroad.com/l/nXRZ

Sellfy for payment via paypal: https://sellfy.com/p/jpHj

ss3.jpg ss2.jpg ss4.jpg ss5.jpg ss6.jpg ss7.jpg

Use storyboard to move between scenes
Use storyboard overlays (bring in a new scene while the current one remains underneath)
Use storyboard createScene function to draw your scene
Use storyboard enterScene function to set up the scene after drawing
Use storyboard exitScene function to clean up the scene when exiting
Use global variables to track certain key game information
Display a level select screen, with a level unlocking system
Use global functions to perform certain tasks from within any module
Save and load lua tables to JSON using the GGData library by Glitch Games
Import data from another lua module
Group common objects into display groups
Show pop-ups/windows/interstitials using display groups
Shuffle a lua table
Use multi-dimensional arrays
Handle touch events on multiple buttons in one function
Use transitions to move and manipulate display objects and display groups
Use an enterFrame listener to create periodic events
Implement inneractive via adMediator, iAds and revmob interstitials
Post a screenshot to facebook wall
Get data from an external config file stored on a server

Get new levels and graphics stored on a server
Manipulation of strings
Implement in-app purchases through a shop screen
Use consumable purchases to buy in-game items
Use a non-consumable purchase to upgrade to a paid version
A’ rate-me’ pop-up
Use native alerts to get user feedback or just display a message
Load sounds into a lua table and play on demand
Load and use custom fonts
Use custom parameters to control functions and re-use code effectively
Create a HUD

It also includes a pdf file with instructions as to how the code is structured.

Congratulations on the release of your new template.

I think I will buy both this one and the older logo quiz template. One suggestion if you don’t mind is to consider adding hints to the 4 pics puzzle line and the template. That is a good way to make sure people don’t get stuck in the game and is also another way to drive revenue as folks can buy the coins / points etc to pay for the hints. Just an idea.

Well done. 

There is a hints system, at the moment it is just one hint per level but it could easily be extended to work like the clues system on logos quiz.

I forgot to mention that for non-football fans you can find all the answers to the template in data.lua - the level shuffle facility is turned off so that the order of levels is the same as data.lua.

Great. Got them templates and dove right in. Very nicely commented and easy to follow clean code. One very minor comment is to remind people to install the font that you provide with the template so that the text shows up right in the simulator. This could be a small remark in your pdf file. 

Congratulations on the release of your new template.

I think I will buy both this one and the older logo quiz template. One suggestion if you don’t mind is to consider adding hints to the 4 pics puzzle line and the template. That is a good way to make sure people don’t get stuck in the game and is also another way to drive revenue as folks can buy the coins / points etc to pay for the hints. Just an idea.

Well done. 

There is a hints system, at the moment it is just one hint per level but it could easily be extended to work like the clues system on logos quiz.

I forgot to mention that for non-football fans you can find all the answers to the template in data.lua - the level shuffle facility is turned off so that the order of levels is the same as data.lua.

Great. Got them templates and dove right in. Very nicely commented and easy to follow clean code. One very minor comment is to remind people to install the font that you provide with the template so that the text shows up right in the simulator. This could be a small remark in your pdf file. 

You can now pay via paypal using the sellfy link in the first post :slight_smile:

You can now pay via paypal using the sellfy link in the first post :slight_smile:

Does this template support Graphics 2.0? And is it a big/hard job to change from 4 pictures to 1?

The template has now been updated to support the latest Corona builds, using the v1 compatibility flag.  A few additional changes were required to ensure everything worked correctly. 

@aliennude - I don’t see why it would be a hard job to convert from 4 pictures to 1 - everything is commented so you can understand how it all works and then from there make the required changes.

Does the template support in-app purchases for android/google play merchant?

How do I replace banner.png with admob? I’ve already implemented admob into the template but it shows at the top.

Firstly, remove this code in app.lua (although you might want to put in your own banner as backup for when an admob banner is not received).

[lua]
local tt = “images/banner.png”

local i = display.newImageRect(tt, 384, 50) – load and position the in-house banner

i.x = 160; i.y = 455 + yO * 2; i.alpha = 1
bg.banner = i
i.alpha = 1
localGroup:insert(i)

[/lua]

To place the ad at the bottom, try this:

[lua]

ads.show(“banner”, {x=display.screenOriginX, y=display.contentHeight + 10000 })

[/lua]

According to this thread, that should work: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/38353-admob-positioning-problem/page-3

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply, do you plan to make compatible without the flag? And if so do you do updates free for already purchased? I think Corona eventually will stop supporting the flag.

Yes any updates will free - I will at some point update it to 2.0, once I’ve got a proper handle on what works and what doesn’t in 2.0.

How would I go about implementing the in-app purchase into the code? Thanks.

Also, how do I limit the number of levels to 50 but still be able to add additional ones in the future to my server in 4pics10.cfg?

@Nick_Sherman

Implement in-app purchases through a shop screen

Which stores does this support ( all corona stores and amazon ) ?

Let me know,

Larry

Does this template support Graphics 2.0? And is it a big/hard job to change from 4 pictures to 1?