Action required: update the version of the Facebook SDK

Today I received this notification from facebook:

Action required: You need to update the version of the Facebook SDK that you currently utilize for your application, Fill the Rainbow. As part of our release of v9.0 SDKs, we are requiring developers to upgrade to our newest version. This upgrade will give developers new security features, enhanced resilience, and increased performance.

Your current SDK is deprecated and will no longer be supported by Facebook. We will continue to allow API calls from your SDK for a transition period of two years. Starting January 19, 2023 we will fail all calls from deprecated SDKs. We encourage you to upgrade to v9.0 as soon as possible to avoid disruption to your application and to access all the benefits of our newest SDK.

I saw this email too.

Not sure whether this is the right repo for facebook plugin (https://github.com/coronalabs/com.coronalabs-facebook), but the last update was 29-Jun-2020

This is current facebook plugin: https://github.com/coronalabs/plugins-source-facebook-v4a, was updated to latest SDK back than. 8 days ago, lol. Thanks facebook.

Great!..Thanks a lot Vlads

Hi Vlad;

I have a bug to report related to plugin.facebook.v4a and the plugin.fbAudienceNetwork on Apple devices. It is easy for me to reproduce and I found it on an iPad on which I keep “older” iOS software – to test for some degree of backwards compatibility. The error bombs the app completely on startup.

On my newer Apple test devices (iOS 13.7 to 14.3), this error does NOT OCCUR.

It DOES OCCUR in this case:

– iPad running iOS 12.4.1

– Only two plugins in build.settings: plugin.fbAudienceNetwork and plugin.facebook.v4a

– Solar 2D build 3635 and Xcode 12.3

– Error Description: The app flashes quickly on the screen and then disappears. There is no visible error message. When I look at the display of open apps, the app is shown in that display. When I try to open the app from there, these five messages are printed to the console:

Adding: <FBApplicationProcess: 0x114fb4d10; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: 10688>

<FBApplicationProcess: 0x114fb4d10; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: 10688> assertiond says the process actually exited with context: <BKSProcessExitContext: 0x2824fe1e0; reason: (none)>

<FBApplicationProcess: 0x114fb4d10; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: 10688> exited.

Removing: <FBApplicationProcess: 0x114fb4d10; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: -1>

Process exited: <FBApplicationProcess: 0x114fb4d10; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: -1> -> <FBApplicationProcessExitContext: 0x28349b6f0; exitReason: (none); terminationReason: (none)> {
stateAtExit = <FBProcessState: 0x28279e680; pid: 10688; taskState: Not Running; visibility: Unknown>;

}

The above console messages are the same as are printed when the app is started up from scratch with these two plugins together.

– Additional notes:

1. Remove either plugin and the app starts up normally on this device with the older iOS software.
  2. If I remove the facebook.4a plugin and leave the FAN plugin in the app, the olly console output related to “FBApplicationProcess” is the first output shown above: “Adding: <FBApplicationProcess: 0x116679e90; JJ_Chartboost_T (com.adveractive.justjumble); pid: 10733>”
  3. I tested in two different apps and, in both cases, I stripped the apps down to just these two plugins together.

There’s something toxic between these plugins on older iOS versions. I hope it is simple to track down.

Thanks.

Steve