Admob rewarded video -Fixed ?

Has this issue been addressed yet ?
I have searched and can only find threads from a few months back.
thanks

No. For it to be fixed the build system for Android has to be moved to AndriodX. Solar2d is using the last supported version of Admob on the old system and that version has a problem with rewarded videos.

Here is the last version that currently solar2d can support:

17.2.1 2019‑05‑21 * Fix for ANR originating at android.media.AudioManager.getStreamVolume .

Hmm, ok so I tried the rewarded ads, mine seem to work fine.
Is this a random issue that only happens sometimes ?

Yes. It will work sometimes but some of the ads will show up as a black box with no x on them. I tested it yesterday and I would still see them maybe 2 times out of 10. Some of them, i could hit the back arrow on the screen and they would disappear. But there were instances that all I can do was close the app.

Ah, seems Iam testing on previous versions of Android not X, that explains why Iam not seeing any issues maybe ?
It would be good to get this fixed for sure.

Ok, so this isnt fixed.
Does anybody have any idea when a fix may come?
I appreciate that things dont happen over night and understand the workload of other fixes/improvements etc
Is there a Roadmap for anything Solar2D related ? if so can somebody point me toward it please.

Does it work for you on iOS or are you referring to Google Play only apps?

Not entirely sure but this issue could be fixed now as Vlad pointed out that the Admob is the latest version now.

Link to specific message: https://discordapp.com/channels/721785436195782677/721785657315557396/739369106318295041

@BDC - Android only - works on previous versions before 10
@bgmadclown - sorry cant access the dsc message - when was this posted by Vlad?

Yesterday.

Well,
just purchased a new android one device to test Android 10 and the reward ads.
I can now say for certain the reward ads do not work - the close button is missing most of the time and also the timer.
Anybody know what is going on ?

@bubblebobble what device did you get?

@agramonte
Yeah nothing exciting a Nokia 7.2.

Just had to grab something raw to test it as previous Android versions all worked, well for me anyway.
Really hope someone will jump onboard to fix this.

So looking at the releases on github, I notice the notes on one release 6 days ago state” trying to fix black screen after reward ads”.
There is then another update, well a couple.
Is there any clarity on the issue if indeed there still is one which I defiantly have.

ok, seems like the admob plugin is broken with release 3609, it wont build build unless removing the plugin in which case it builds fine.

/// C:\Users\Bud\AppData\Local\Temp\Corona Labs\CLtmpa01180\template\app\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml Error:
09:32:37.619 uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 15 cannot be smaller than version 16 declared in library [com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:19.3.0] C:\Users\Bud.gradle\caches\transforms-2\files-2.1\0fa8eb89b73d58f3bdc93ee01bd63a5e\jetified-play-services-ads-19.3.0\AndroidManifest.xml as the library might be using APIs not available in 15
///

Vlad can you give me a definitive answer on this so I can stop trying to figure stuff out that many probably already know please :slight_smile:

Like the log tells you, just set the minSdkVersion for Android to 16 (minimum) and it’ll let you build.

@XeduR
yeah thanks for that, it indeed does build now.

Still issues with some of the ads, Iam thinking it may be the way the ad is created, seems it happens with full video, i.e. no banner type download at the top of the video or maybe there is but it isnt displaying.
most frustrating.
I take it everyone who uses admob is just using interstitials and banners until we get a fix.

@bubblebobble I have not checked in the last few builds, but as recently as 2 weeks both my 10 phones experienced the problem. I have a LG G7 and a Samsung 10e. I have also heard but don’t have a “GO” phone that it happens more often on the “GO” version. So that is why I was asking what type of phone you got.

Ok, so I have done some more testing and can now for sure sum up the issue.
It appears when some of the ads are served, you only get the video, mostly in the centre of the screen.
The top and bottom portion of the screen are indeed black, this is were the timer and close buttons should be.
IF you click the top right hand of the screen were the timer and close button should usually appear you indeed do get the video to suspend, therefore the close button is active but not visible.
Once the suspend button is clicked you should get the usual popup toast that
asks if you want to cancel or continue to get the reward. This it seems is also active but invisible, you can click the invisible “close video” and it indeed closes and goes back to the app.
you can also resume the rewarded video albeit with an invisible button.

Iam not sure why.

1 Like

Any chance of some clarification on this ?
Is it the way the rewarded ads are created ?

Vlad I appreciate your busy but a quick note would be most appreciated my friend.

I also integrated another admob plugin( non corona) and this did the same.