Amazon apps with Appodeal break with latest builds

Just tried doing a build for Amazon with the latest 3184 build and on launch get a screen saying:

Corona: Developer Error

<App Name> does not target the Google Play store, but includes Google Play Services. 

If I remove the Appodeal plugin it will build fine without this error for Amazon.  Does the new Corona build, or maybe a new Appodeal build, require Google Play services even when building for Amazon?

Pretty much any Ad plugin requires Google Play Services for Android.  Building for Amazon means building for Kindle Fire devices which does not have Google Play.  If you want to submit to Amazon for their generic Android devices, you would build for Google. 

Rob

I submitted for Amazon Fire products about 3-4 months ago with Appodeal and never had this error message. This makes me think something changed in the Appodeal plug-in from 2.0 to 2.1.7 that requires Google Play Services.

This would essentially mean Appodeal is not supported on Kindle Fire devices?

I just tried and same error. The knowledge base on the appodeal site still says they support Fire Devices. Amazon sells millions of devices each year and sadly as time goes by the options for monetizing are fewer and fewer (not just in Corona but in the industry as a whole). At least we still have Vungle for interstitials.

Yah, something was updated in the latest Appodeal SDK for sure that broke it.  We’ve simply removed ads from our latest release on Amazon and rely only on IAP.  Not an ideal solution, but we really don’t have an option.

Pretty much any Ad plugin requires Google Play Services for Android.  Building for Amazon means building for Kindle Fire devices which does not have Google Play.  If you want to submit to Amazon for their generic Android devices, you would build for Google. 

Rob

I submitted for Amazon Fire products about 3-4 months ago with Appodeal and never had this error message. This makes me think something changed in the Appodeal plug-in from 2.0 to 2.1.7 that requires Google Play Services.

This would essentially mean Appodeal is not supported on Kindle Fire devices?

I just tried and same error. The knowledge base on the appodeal site still says they support Fire Devices. Amazon sells millions of devices each year and sadly as time goes by the options for monetizing are fewer and fewer (not just in Corona but in the industry as a whole). At least we still have Vungle for interstitials.

Yah, something was updated in the latest Appodeal SDK for sure that broke it.  We’ve simply removed ads from our latest release on Amazon and rely only on IAP.  Not an ideal solution, but we really don’t have an option.