Appodeal Adapters A + iOS + Metal = Black screen

Hi @agramonte. I just tried to build my game for iOS using the 14.1 Metal BETA SDK. Build succeeds, but when I install on device the screen just goes all black after the launch screen. I can hear the music and sound effects, so the game is running but nothing shows up on the display.

I’ve been excluding one thing at a time from my code and build settings to find out what causes it, and it turned out to be the Adapters A plugin. If I just remove that plugin and build again, everything works fine.

In the console I can see the following error which I guess has something to do with it:

ERROR: A shader failed to compile. To see errors, add the following to the top of your main.lua: display.setDefault( 'isShaderCompilerVerbose', true )

Adding the line of code mentioned above doesn’t give me any more clues in the console output.

Anything that you’re already aware of?

EDIT: I’m running the latest versions of “everything”. Xcode 12.1, iOS 14.1, Solar 3622. Also tried installing on an iPad with iOS 13, same problem.

If you get a chance can you try it with the old Appodeal plugin?

I’ve tried but don’t know how to do that. The old Appodeal plugin doesn’t build at all with the iOS 14 SDK, and if I downgrade Xcode to use iOS 13.7 then I can’t select Metal…

I’ll take a look. The A plugin has nothing but ad networks and their adapters. If it fails with trying to render an ad, I suspect that the metal implementation is apparently not compatible with how an ad network is trying to render an ad. Not sure I could do about that other than remove the ad network. But if it is a key ad network for me and since I don’t see any value in using Metal in my games, I will less incline to remove it until I am forced to. But I will see what I can do.

1 Like

Don’t spend too much of your time on this right now. It’s not that Metal is important for me either at the moment, and I haven’t really considered switching from OpenGL until I really have to. But who knows when Apple decides to drop OpenGL completely… it could be good to be prepared. :slight_smile:

1 Like