Appodeal plugin causes lags and downloads lot of unrequested data

Hi everybody,

this is my first post in this forum so, first of all, I want to thank you all for the support I got in the background from your posts!

Now I have some problems with the appodeal plugin, used just to display static banners (on Android 6). The problems are two:

1. At startup, the game lags for about one second two or three times
  2. When not in testMode , every ‘appodeal.init’ downloads from 5 to 10 MB of contents

I just use banners, so I don’t understand neither the lags (I can’t believe banners can be SO heavy!) nor the contents download (again, banners are mostly very small images!).
The game I am developing have very short gameplay and I expect the user to close and reopen it many times. I noticed this problem because, during my tests, in around half an hour it downloaded 200MB of contents.

Furthermore, the contents are downloaded even if autocache is set to off. The folder

Android/data/com.companyname.appname/files/al 

gets populated with every sort of ads, from videos to javascript etc., for a total size of about 5/10 MB… but I told in appodeal’s init that I am just interested in banners, and with autocache OFF the ads load should be up to the user.

I made a small test-app which can show this behaviour. It’s just a bouncing ball (to show the lags) which loops 10 seconds of ad showtime and hidetime, with some switches which let you enable/disable appodeal, testmode and autocache.
The corona project is attached as .zip (if you want to try it out, remember to use a valid appid). By the way, the installed size is about 70MB and I believe that around 65 of them are used by appodeal’s plugin, quite in contrast with the ‘lightness’ stated here by appodeal.

Did someone experienced such problem before?

Thanks for the report. I’ll share it with the Appodeal team and see what they say.

Rob

Hi Rob,
do you have any update about this topic? It is actually the only thing that blocks the release of my app. I also tried a native plugin wrapping appodeal’s java SDK and had the same issues, so I guess the problem is there. I hope these informations can help to solve the issues, in case let me know if I can do something else to help

I’m checking.

Thanks for the report. I’ll share it with the Appodeal team and see what they say.

Rob

Hi Rob,
do you have any update about this topic? It is actually the only thing that blocks the release of my app. I also tried a native plugin wrapping appodeal’s java SDK and had the same issues, so I guess the problem is there. I hope these informations can help to solve the issues, in case let me know if I can do something else to help

I’m checking.