Appodeal strange monetization

Hi,

I am using Appodeal as only ad provider in my games. I make small games with 1-2-3 week life, and thy get 100-1000downloads each game. After first couple of months in Appstore, I was checking my stats last week.

1. I was shocked about revenue on Rewarded Video ads - I have couple of thousand impressions and >600 clicks on rewarded video ads but revenue = 0! Almost all these was Appodeal Marketplace (CPM) ads.

Is it normal? They are just stealing my traffic?!

1. Last week was several days with ecpm 0.01-0.10$ on 2-3k impressions and ~60-70clicks. Earlier there was not problems with that low numbers

Support says that I need at least 1k daily impressions on each app, when I have 2-3k then they say I need “5-10k daily impressions on each app to see realistic assesment of statistics”, and “don’t worry, “training” takes several thousand impressions for each application”.

So why there was not problems earlier with less traffic?

Month ago I have daily 1-1.4k impressions,ecpm was 5…7…10$

Now I have 3-4k daily impressions but ecpm is 0.04$…1.73$…0.11$ etc…

After that month I have managed only couple of bucks on Appodeal only, as 95% of revenue comes from Admob thru their mediation.

Is it how it is supposed to work? What is your experience with them and what are your recommendations on many small game (reskins :slight_smile: ) monetizing?

I found this discussion, and I am totally agree with the first poster. I was suspicion that they use developer apps to promote their own apps and they don`t pay for that to you.

That is why they didn`t paid me for their own ads.

There is my statistics for rewarded video ads sorted by impression count.

So high CTR was because there was one video ad dominating, that was from Appodeal, that was one dumb piano game from developer with russian name (Appodeal is also russian company), that was not possible to close when tap on x button when playback ends. Anyway it was forwarding to that game installation page. That was very annoying but I hope this ad was only for my region and I kept them running despite bad user experience… now I understand that it was Appodeal “special advertising” with extremely high click rate and the most important - they are not paying for that anything!!!

Does anyone noticed something similar?

Hi! This is really strange. I am using Appodeal as well and as I know they have not their own marketplace. But anyway their support is right, if you have not enough traffic better to use one ad network because mediation will not work in full volume and if almost all your revenue is incoming from admob - better use admob. 

Take a look - “Appodeal Marketplace” is in reports, don`t tell me fairy tales :). If I sort report by network, there is thousands of impressions and hundreds of clicks (all video ads) but never had any revenue from their network!!!  That is how they steel part of your traffic.

PS

Appodeal has second place by impressions count and first place by clicks in my case!

Just to clarify, if you are running CPI then you won’t get any credit for users simply clicking on an ad.  The user will need to actually install and open the app.

As you see in screenshot that was CPM… (Sorry my mistake in first post, I corrected mistake, it was CPM instead of CPI)

And I don`t believe that from 600 clicks there was zero installations.

Tried Appodeal, They do pay. Left because I am just not comfortable with them having my Admob details. Not that I don’t trust Appodeal directly, just not my info in the hands of their employees. On another note. I had 0.20+ RPM with Admob before I switched to Appodeal. Once switching my RPM went down to 0.05 RPM. After switching back to Admob my RPM has not recovered. I’m at 0.12 and 0.13 now.

Weird.

Hello! Thanks for sharing your experience of using our service. I’ll try to explain everything in details.

We carefully analyzed your account and as I see there are several games, where you show rewarded videos. Each game has in total 15-20 impressions daily. When networks evaluate your traffic, they do it separately in every application, per ad format. In fact, what happens is: this number of impressions is spread between the networks and conversion into installs is close to 0. Rewarded videos are paid mostly based on a CPI or CPM basis. 

Appodeal Marketplace shows ads only in case when no ad was found in any of ad networks. Also, some system notices from Appodeal are counted as an impression (i.e. Bundle ID or Appkey don’t match, etc.). 

Are you using several ad monetization solutions in one app? If so, Appodeal won’t be working properly. Appodeal is not an ad network, it’s a technology that choses highest paying ad among all networks by putting ad networks in direct competition for every impression. The most valuable impressions for ad network are the first impressions (to user per session). In case there is other monetization tool inside, Appodeal can’t take control of these impressions and can’t get to sell them for the highest price. Instead, it get’s impressions far less attractive to advertisers.

If you will have any other questions, you can address them to me directly :wink:

Hi,

I am using Appodeal as only ad provider in my games. I make small games with 1-2-3 week life, and thy get 100-1000downloads each game. After first couple of months in Appstore, I was checking my stats last week.

1. I was shocked about revenue on Rewarded Video ads - I have couple of thousand impressions and >600 clicks on rewarded video ads but revenue = 0! Almost all these was Appodeal Marketplace (CPM) ads.

1. Last week was several days with ecpm 0.01-0.10$ on 2-3k impressions and ~60-70clicks. Earlier there was not problems with that low numbers

Support says that I need at least 1k daily impressions on each app, when I have 2-3k then they say I need “5-10k daily impressions on each app to see realistic assesment of statistics”, and “don’t worry, “training” takes several thousand impressions for each application”.

After that month I have managed only couple of bucks on Appodeal only, as 95% of revenue comes from Admob thru their mediation.

Is it how it is supposed to work? What is your experience with them and what are your recommendations on many small game (reskins :slight_smile: ) monetizing?

Hello Karina, thanks for your explanation.

1. I am just curious how do you know which one is my account? B)

2. Very interesting - in screenshot I shared there is “Appodeal Marketplace (CPM)”, but today I see in console this is called “System Campaigns”! And it means that 66% of my rewarded video impressions and 90% of clicks now is just some system notices? That means in 66% cases there was no ad available from another network? Ha ha… And Appodeal is not going to pay for that! Despite that there was actual video ads as I described in my second post, and those ads was even worse than usual because it was impossible to close them after playback ends, they was forwarding to install page anyway… I recieved complaints and lost lot of users because of that ad - and that was just your experiments with free (for you) ads?

3. As I said, may games is reskins, with 1-2-3 week long life, and that means they majority of impressions are first impressions (first impressions has most value as you said). As I understand, Appodeal is using this traffic for some testing/tuning/Appodeal Marketplace  etc stuff and after game is dead with no more traffic then Appodeal is ready to serve great ads! :rolleyes: 

PS

I was not using any other monetization than Appodeal, but now in upcoming games I am not going to use Appodeal anymore (revenue from Appodeal mediated networks was less than 10% and all majority was Admob). Now I am using ad networks directly as your support recomended. :wink: Maybe other devs dont mind if part of their hard work is seemlesly slipping into Appodeal pockets, but I cant afford it, I have too small traffic for that… :wacko:

Appodeal doesn’t do any experiments in applications that integrated our sdk. We pass a first few thousands of impressions through one of the biggest ad networks it helps us optimize and check your traffic. I am sorry that your experience with Appodeal wasn’t good, if you’ll have any further questions, let me know.

I also have bad experience using Appodeal, i have so many clicks on my app.

But I think why my income is so low, And that is very funny

I mean after few months , i got $ 100 but they don’t wanna pay.
they said my application is not responsive
And they immediately deactivate my account, this really weird
Even just $ 100 they won’t pay

I’m using reward video, Interstitial, and banner ads and many of my friends have had such experiences this year

Whether Appodeal will end like Mobilecore :confused:

Seems I’m not be alone
I made the deal with appodeal
That minimum I like to have same ecpm as I had with admob
Result
Weeks where I lost thousand of $
Because they couldn’t cope with admob
Another Month talking about fixing that
I left as it is really not fullfilling
Only endless talks and nothing happens

And yes
Also it happend before appodeal in had let’s say 100%!income with admob
When u left appodeal
I had for month approx 70% with admob what I had before
So thousands of other $ lost
Slowly recovering
appodeal didn’t made me happy and I don’t see a result i would be happy with them

Hi, Guruk!

Thank you for your feedback. We have made the compensation for you based on the data that you have provided. Your personal manager has contacted you and if you are not satisfied with the solution, please provide her more details.

I found this discussion, and I am totally agree with the first poster. I was suspicion that they use developer apps to promote their own apps and they don`t pay for that to you.

That is why they didn`t paid me for their own ads.

There is my statistics for rewarded video ads sorted by impression count.

So high CTR was because there was one video ad dominating, that was from Appodeal, that was one dumb piano game from developer with russian name (Appodeal is also russian company), that was not possible to close when tap on x button when playback ends. Anyway it was forwarding to that game installation page. That was very annoying but I hope this ad was only for my region and I kept them running despite bad user experience… now I understand that it was Appodeal “special advertising” with extremely high click rate and the most important - they are not paying for that anything!!!

Does anyone noticed something similar?

Hi! This is really strange. I am using Appodeal as well and as I know they have not their own marketplace. But anyway their support is right, if you have not enough traffic better to use one ad network because mediation will not work in full volume and if almost all your revenue is incoming from admob - better use admob. 

Take a look - “Appodeal Marketplace” is in reports, don`t tell me fairy tales :). If I sort report by network, there is thousands of impressions and hundreds of clicks (all video ads) but never had any revenue from their network!!!  That is how they steel part of your traffic.

PS

Appodeal has second place by impressions count and first place by clicks in my case!

Just to clarify, if you are running CPI then you won’t get any credit for users simply clicking on an ad.  The user will need to actually install and open the app.

As you see in screenshot that was CPM… (Sorry my mistake in first post, I corrected mistake, it was CPM instead of CPI)

And I don`t believe that from 600 clicks there was zero installations.

Tried Appodeal, They do pay. Left because I am just not comfortable with them having my Admob details. Not that I don’t trust Appodeal directly, just not my info in the hands of their employees. On another note. I had 0.20+ RPM with Admob before I switched to Appodeal. Once switching my RPM went down to 0.05 RPM. After switching back to Admob my RPM has not recovered. I’m at 0.12 and 0.13 now.

Weird.

Hello! Thanks for sharing your experience of using our service. I’ll try to explain everything in details.

We carefully analyzed your account and as I see there are several games, where you show rewarded videos. Each game has in total 15-20 impressions daily. When networks evaluate your traffic, they do it separately in every application, per ad format. In fact, what happens is: this number of impressions is spread between the networks and conversion into installs is close to 0. Rewarded videos are paid mostly based on a CPI or CPM basis. 

Appodeal Marketplace shows ads only in case when no ad was found in any of ad networks. Also, some system notices from Appodeal are counted as an impression (i.e. Bundle ID or Appkey don’t match, etc.). 

Are you using several ad monetization solutions in one app? If so, Appodeal won’t be working properly. Appodeal is not an ad network, it’s a technology that choses highest paying ad among all networks by putting ad networks in direct competition for every impression. The most valuable impressions for ad network are the first impressions (to user per session). In case there is other monetization tool inside, Appodeal can’t take control of these impressions and can’t get to sell them for the highest price. Instead, it get’s impressions far less attractive to advertisers.

If you will have any other questions, you can address them to me directly :wink:

Hi,