Are Particle and Text Candy dead?

I used both in my game, and love them, but after numerous emails to the developers about issues (that still exist and I had to code around) and I never had a single email back.

Great products but terrible support. Has anyone else succeed in getting any help from the devs?

Hi @tastymushroom,

I can’t answer with 100% authority, but it appears that all support stopped for these products a few months ago (no response from the authors whatsoever).

Best regards,

Brent

My sense is that they are, for all intents and purposes dead.  I think the developer had great products, but ran into issues converting to Graphics 2.0.  i.e. While this is a small task for small projects, a complex project like Particle/Text Candy, the lifting is significantly heavier.

This is of course a guess on my part.

PS - Not blaming Corona here at all.  What I’m saying is, maintaining projects and keeping them current with the current target(s) they support is no small feat, which is why Corona is all the more impressive in that they manage to stay functional and advance in the face of constant change in Android and iOS, as well as desktop.   Booya!

Thanks Brent & RG for confirming my suspicions.

Shame that… Oh we’ll I’ll have to get to grips with the in-built particle system in Corona then!

Cheers

don’t forget cbeffects 

There is always

https://71squared.com/particledesigner

Or Ed what about your particle editor for 3$ it is pretty cheap

https://sellfy.com/p/bWcY/

My tool needs an overhaul right now, so as odd as it sounds, I’d wait till I get off my duff and fix it.

Lots of folks have asked for the ability to change the background, but I keep ‘not finding the time’ to do this.  Also, what I want is to convert it to a desktop tool.

Note: My tool and the editor from 71Squared are for editing particle definitions used by Corona’s particle emitter object.

Caleb’s library (cbeffects) is different.  It uses textures and objects to create particles, making it flexible in wonderful ways.

Both particle approaches are good, but you  should choose the one that is most effective for your goal.

@tastymushroom I’ve been using Particle/Text/Widget candy with graphics 2.0 with zero, nilch, goose egg problems for a year now. I use the daily builds regularly. I have a game you can check out on the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ill-october-vampires/id996716020?mt=8

You actually get the entire code with Particle Candy. Corona SDK is a black box for us, we don’t have to worry what’s inside the black box. The guys at X-pressive are not doing anything  funky like changing code inside the black box  – they have to use Corona 's API function calls. Unless Corona SDK renames the graphics API function calls –  it will work.

Just wondering What issues are you having?

Burnsj002, has an excellent point.  You do get the whole of the code for those libs and you can fix them if you encounter problems.

I’m definitely not advising you to buy or not buy, but rather to be aware you have choices and that, if you run into trouble you may need to reach out to users here or self-solve.

I’ve had the opportunity to see both libraries when working for clients and they are great.

-Ed

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for the info. I’ll check out some of the other options.

@Burnsj002 I can have a hunt around for the demo project I sent to x-pressive, but as I remember it, I had some emitters that I wanted to persist over scenes… I didn’t want to recreate them each scene. So before each scene transition I stopped the emitters, cleared up the particles using ClearParticles, deleted the attractors etc etc.

However when I came back to the scene and restarted the emitters the particle count was the same as before calling ClearParticles()

In the end I refactored the code to that I could use Cleanup() and just deleted everything between scenes.

If you are really interested PM me and I’ll dig out the project… My Lua knowledge wasn’t up to fixing it at the time. Probably not now either :slight_smile:

Cheers

Doug

I have kind of peek at this library, isn’t there performance problems if you use textures as particles?

re: Performance - That depends.

If you make thousands of particles per second sure.  It all depends on how you use it.  This is why I won’t say one is better than the other, rather one may be more appropriate depending on use.

If that wasn’t a waffling answer I don’t know what is. :slight_smile:

I use Particle Candy with no problems.  Easy to configure and the performance is great.

Hi @tastymushroom,

I can’t answer with 100% authority, but it appears that all support stopped for these products a few months ago (no response from the authors whatsoever).

Best regards,

Brent

My sense is that they are, for all intents and purposes dead.  I think the developer had great products, but ran into issues converting to Graphics 2.0.  i.e. While this is a small task for small projects, a complex project like Particle/Text Candy, the lifting is significantly heavier.

This is of course a guess on my part.

PS - Not blaming Corona here at all.  What I’m saying is, maintaining projects and keeping them current with the current target(s) they support is no small feat, which is why Corona is all the more impressive in that they manage to stay functional and advance in the face of constant change in Android and iOS, as well as desktop.   Booya!

Thanks Brent & RG for confirming my suspicions.

Shame that… Oh we’ll I’ll have to get to grips with the in-built particle system in Corona then!

Cheers

don’t forget cbeffects 

There is always

https://71squared.com/particledesigner

Or Ed what about your particle editor for 3$ it is pretty cheap

https://sellfy.com/p/bWcY/

My tool needs an overhaul right now, so as odd as it sounds, I’d wait till I get off my duff and fix it.

Lots of folks have asked for the ability to change the background, but I keep ‘not finding the time’ to do this.  Also, what I want is to convert it to a desktop tool.

Note: My tool and the editor from 71Squared are for editing particle definitions used by Corona’s particle emitter object.

Caleb’s library (cbeffects) is different.  It uses textures and objects to create particles, making it flexible in wonderful ways.

Both particle approaches are good, but you  should choose the one that is most effective for your goal.

@tastymushroom I’ve been using Particle/Text/Widget candy with graphics 2.0 with zero, nilch, goose egg problems for a year now. I use the daily builds regularly. I have a game you can check out on the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ill-october-vampires/id996716020?mt=8

You actually get the entire code with Particle Candy. Corona SDK is a black box for us, we don’t have to worry what’s inside the black box. The guys at X-pressive are not doing anything  funky like changing code inside the black box  – they have to use Corona 's API function calls. Unless Corona SDK renames the graphics API function calls –  it will work.

Just wondering What issues are you having?