Are there any plans to update the v4 plugin to a more recent SDK?

We were looking to implement this “Smart Facebook Login for TV” feature:

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2016/10/27/login-for-tv-and-android/

however it requires SDK 4.17.0 or above. I believe that the current plugin uses 4.15.0 (though I could be wrong about that). 

Are there any plans to update the plugin any time soon?

Right now we are focused on getting the next public build out. Once that’s out, we I’ll bring it up with the team and see where it falls.

Rob

I would love it also if you included recording events. It is the only analytics that Corona has (that I have tested) that has the ability to tie retention with particular events. For example: I know because of Facebook that on average my retention rate for people that play multiplayer for one of my games after one week is 40% instead of 20% for the general population.

I just notice this thread, if you are going to update the sdk please make it 4.18 so I can use it in my Facebook analytics plugin which uses features found in 4.18

Scott is your Analytics plugin in the store?

Yes, it is under construction due to some incompatible with Facebook v4. I would be able to just use Facebook v4 as a dependency vs my hacky solution if corona updated the Facebook sdk to 4.18

It’s on our list of things to do, but I’m not sure when we will get to it.

Rob

I’m trying to find out what version of the graph api the current FB plugin would target. In my original post I said that it appeared that the plugin was using FB SDK 4.15.0. 

In this list the last change I can see is that 4.11.0 targets API v2.6, so presumably the plugin targets at least that since it’s a later SDK version.  

The reason I’m checking this is because I’ve just had an alert for each of our apps saying:

“Your App is currently accessing Graph API v2.3 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 10 July, 2017. We estimate 6 endpoints that QuizTix: Pop Music calls will be impacted by this change and may stop working after the automatic upgrade push. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.4 or higher.”

We also have some REST calls in our code so we can use Login for Devices on TV builds. I’m going to update those but wanted to be sure that the plugin was definitely up to date too.

@Alan, I had the same message and it is due to customers still playing old builds of my game.  Some over a year out of date!

And customers using Android API < 15 which can no longer update.

I thought that might be the case.  

Would still be handy to know which version of the api the plugin is currently using, just for future reference. Any chance that someone at Corona could add that to the docs for the plugin at some point?

Go to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/api_versioning/ and select your app.  It should show you the affected endpoints.

I always just get this message: 

Your app hasn’t made enough calls to the Graph API to show any info for the methods you selected between v2.3 and v2.9. Visit our changelog to see the full list of changes in all versions.

I get that on any app that I click on, which isn’t very helpful. I’m sure it will be fine  :slight_smile:

It looks like we are using 4.16.1. Based on the date of the plugin, it looks like we should support up to v2.8 (v2.7 worst case) of their API calls.

When Facebook kills an API version, your API calls will still go through, they just get redirected to API endpoints of the lowest supported versions. In other words any v2.3 API calls will be forwarded to v2.4 end points. Now your mileage may vary. Facebook doesn’t change all of their end points on each release so some or potentially all of your calls could continue to work. Since we are using a modern enough SDK this shouldn’t be an issue anyway.

Rob

Right now we are focused on getting the next public build out. Once that’s out, we I’ll bring it up with the team and see where it falls.

Rob

I would love it also if you included recording events. It is the only analytics that Corona has (that I have tested) that has the ability to tie retention with particular events. For example: I know because of Facebook that on average my retention rate for people that play multiplayer for one of my games after one week is 40% instead of 20% for the general population.

I just notice this thread, if you are going to update the sdk please make it 4.18 so I can use it in my Facebook analytics plugin which uses features found in 4.18

Scott is your Analytics plugin in the store?

Yes, it is under construction due to some incompatible with Facebook v4. I would be able to just use Facebook v4 as a dependency vs my hacky solution if corona updated the Facebook sdk to 4.18

It’s on our list of things to do, but I’m not sure when we will get to it.

Rob

I’m trying to find out what version of the graph api the current FB plugin would target. In my original post I said that it appeared that the plugin was using FB SDK 4.15.0. 

In this list the last change I can see is that 4.11.0 targets API v2.6, so presumably the plugin targets at least that since it’s a later SDK version.  

The reason I’m checking this is because I’ve just had an alert for each of our apps saying:

“Your App is currently accessing Graph API v2.3 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 10 July, 2017. We estimate 6 endpoints that QuizTix: Pop Music calls will be impacted by this change and may stop working after the automatic upgrade push. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.4 or higher.”

We also have some REST calls in our code so we can use Login for Devices on TV builds. I’m going to update those but wanted to be sure that the plugin was definitely up to date too.