Build 2019.3512 collects personal information!

Hi Rob,

I have several apps uploaded to Google Play aimed at children (in " Designed for Families" program).

These days I have uploaded updates compiling with the 2019.3469 version of SDK, without problems.

But two of them I have compiled with the 64bit version 2019.3512 , and the updates of both apps have been rejected for the same reason:

" app collects personal information"

This makes me think that the 64-bit version is collecting some information through an API or the SDK itself that previously did not.

Please I would need a solution to this problem, because November is the deadline to update to API 29 to upload updates is over.

This is the detail of the mail received:

Publishing status: Rejected

Your app has been rejected and wasn’t published due to a policy violation. If you submitted an update, the previous version of your app is still available on Google Play.

Issue: Violation of Families Policy Requirements

We have detected that your app collects personal information, however it was not disclosed in your Play Console. Apps that include children in the target audience must comply with all Families Policy Requirements, which requires that you disclose the collection of any personal information from children in your app, i ncluding through APIs and SDKs called or used in your app

I appreciate your collaboration to solve this problem.

Regards

Hello. Are you using any ad plugins? Which plugins are you using?
Also, is it possible to contact Play support asking for details? Like, I don’t even know what is the issue.

Hi vlads, 
Yes, I’m using the admob plugin to show ads.

I’m going to ask the google team for more details

This is the content of my build.settings:

settings =

{

splashScreen = 

{

enable = false

},

android =

{

supportsScreens =

{

resizeable = true,

smallScreens = true,

normalScreens = true,

largeScreens = true,

xlargeScreens = true,

},

– Para habilitar Compras Integradas –

usesPermissions = {“com.android.vending.BILLING”,},  

minSdkVersion = “16”,

largeHeap = true,      

applicationChildElements =

{

[[

<meta-data android:name=“com.google.android.gms.ads.APPLICATION_ID”

android:value=“ca-app-pub-9999999999999999~9999999999”/>  – In my file I have the correct value

]],

},

},

orientation = {default = “landscapeRight”,},

plugins =

{

– enable the admob plugin

[“plugin.admob”] = {publisherId = “com.coronalabs”},

– enable the native.popup.social plugin (for SHARE BUTTON)

[“CoronaProvider.native.popup.social”] = {publisherId = “com.coronalabs”},   

– Para habilitar Compras Integradas –

[“plugin.google.iap.v3”] = {publisherId = “com.coronalabs”,

supportedPlatforms = {android=true}},        

},   

}

I’m pretty sure that AdMob is the issue, but I would suggest contacting Play Support to verify that.

Can you show us your admob.load() function call? There are are parameters needed to turn off collection of data. See:

http://docs.coronalabs.com/plugin/admob/load.html#hasuserconsent-optional

Rob

Hello, I have contacted Google Play support but they have not given me an answer yet.

On the other hand, I recompiled the apk with the 2019.3469 version, uploaded it to Google Play, and it has been approved and published.

Conclusion: the problem is with the 2019.3512 compilation.

this is my function:

function libreriasUI:showAdMOB(padType,padmobID)

if padmobID ~= “” then

if padType == “banner” then

– Banner –

ads.load(“banner”, {adUnitId=padmobID, hasUserConsent = false})

else

– Intersticial –

if ads.isLoaded(“interstitial”) then

ads.show(“interstitial”)

else

ads.load(“interstitial”, {adUnitId=padmobID, hasUserConsent = false})

end

end

end

end

Builds after 3497 uses updated AdMob from 15 to 17.

But what is the problem then?

I am using the “hasUserConsent = false” parameter

After the apk with the 2019.3512 version was rejected, I compiled again with the 2019.3469 version, and the latter if they accepted it.

I would be really grateful if you could ask Google Play support what is the problem with your previous upload. We din’t change anything related except AdMob. It’s possible you’re required to add some manifest entry or something similar.

I have already made several queries to the Google Play support team, I have asked for details, but for now they have not given me an answer stating exactly what the problem is.

I am waiting for an answer from my last query.

Rob, Vlads:

I still don’t have a response from Google.

Any suggestions I can try? If I compile the same sources with 2019.3512 it does not pass the approval, if I do it with 2019.3469 Google accepts it.

Roll with3469 then?

Yes, after Google rejected the apk compiled with version 3512, I compiled again with 3469 and it was accepted.

That’s why my doubt, that 3512 is doing personal data collection through some API or plugin

Just now, I just received an answer to my third query to the Google team.

It is:

Hi Pablo,

Thank you for contacting the Google Play Team in regards to your app’s eligibility for Designed for Families.

Upon further review, we found that the app is not eligible for the following reasons:

We have detected that your app collects personal information, however it was not disclosed in your Play Console.

Apps that include children in the target audience must comply with all Families Policy Requirements, which requires that you disclose the collection of any personal information from children in your app, including through APIs and SDKs called or used in your app. 

Once these issues have been addressed, you may resubmit the app for review.

On all three occasions, the answers they have given me have been of this type. They do not give more detailed information.

But they insist that the app collects personal information, (this is with build 3512)

have you set the childSafe and designedForFamilies tags in your code for admob?

Yes, I have them set, anyway the influencing parameter is HasUserconsent, and I have it set to false.

Besides, I insist, I have the problem with build 3512, with 3469 not, and it’s the same source code.

But it’s not the same. There are significant changes in the underlying Android subsystems.  Any ad plugin you’re using may have a different behavior. We are not collecting any information, so just like you, we feel we didn’t change anything either. What changed was things we have to use.

Rob

Please. Try submitting build without AdMob, see if same error rises. You don’t have to push it to live.