Can a Facebook store data?

Hi,

Say I want a field called “nickname” or “team color” or whatever attached to a user who’s logged in via Facebook.

Can a Facebook app be used for this or do I need a separate backend that would associate user id’s with data fields?

You will need to store your data separately to Facebook and link on the users Facebook ID

Ok, thanks.

BTW, such a shame Parse has been killed. Would be perfect for this.

Look at PlayFab and GameSparks. We have plugins for both. They have some support for data storage.

Rob

These now seem like the best options for handling a game-oriented back-end. However, in the end I went with one of the paid Parse hosts because Parse’s straightforwardness is hard to beat when it comes to versatility. Sashido.io works like a charm with the Corona plugin. I only hope it has enough resources/dedication/momentum to be reliable in the long run.

Thanks for suggesting GameSparks Rob!

Pirx, sorry it for the delay in seeing your post. If you do decide to give us a try at any stage, you can tie logging a user into our backend with the automatic retrieval of player-centric data that is wholly configurable. You can also authenticate with our backend through a players Facebook account, which opens up the ability to access a players friend information on the backend.

Please feel free get in touch with our support team if you have any questions about using GameSparks at any stage - https://support.gamesparks.net/support/home

Clare

there is firebase plugin which supports Facebook login

You will need to store your data separately to Facebook and link on the users Facebook ID

Ok, thanks.

BTW, such a shame Parse has been killed. Would be perfect for this.

Look at PlayFab and GameSparks. We have plugins for both. They have some support for data storage.

Rob

These now seem like the best options for handling a game-oriented back-end. However, in the end I went with one of the paid Parse hosts because Parse’s straightforwardness is hard to beat when it comes to versatility. Sashido.io works like a charm with the Corona plugin. I only hope it has enough resources/dedication/momentum to be reliable in the long run.

Thanks for suggesting GameSparks Rob!

Pirx, sorry it for the delay in seeing your post. If you do decide to give us a try at any stage, you can tie logging a user into our backend with the automatic retrieval of player-centric data that is wholly configurable. You can also authenticate with our backend through a players Facebook account, which opens up the ability to access a players friend information on the backend.

Please feel free get in touch with our support team if you have any questions about using GameSparks at any stage - https://support.gamesparks.net/support/home

Clare

there is firebase plugin which supports Facebook login