Changes/Fixes to the Open Source Version of Lime

Played around with Lime for a bit today and for a while had a horrible time getting anything from Tiled working. I ended up commenting out this line in lime-objectLayer.lua (line 18):

local utils = require(“lime.lime-utils”)

Calls to utils:hexToRGB were throwing errors when that line was in there. Without the line? Everything seems to work fine.

So that line is out in MY version, but I’m still so freaking new with Lime that I have no idea why that line was there, or what taking it out may break in some other part of the code. So while I’m starting to (slowly) work on the code, making changes like that “official” will be a ways down the road.

In the few hours I played around with it I did discover that it’s as cool as I remember it. I’m playing around with a top-down view game where you run around and shoot things. What else. :slight_smile:

Jay

PS - Also, I’m using the new physics.rayCast feature to determine whether the enemies can fire at my guy or not and even whether he can see them or not. It’s kind of cool. :slight_smile:

If I remember correctly that function was used for converting the colour of the Object Layer in Tiled to its RGB equivalent. It was, I think, mainly used for debug purposes when you wanted to see the locations and sizes of all the objects.

Hello :smiley:

I downloaded lime and followed the first tutorial but it doesn’t work!

I was running into the same problem.  I was just going through the tutorials at:

http://lime.outlawgametools.com/tutorials-3/

and couldn’t get through “07 - Making Objects Physical”

Your suggestion did the trick.  And, Glitch, thank you for all the free goodies!  Lime and Tiled are cool and your tutorials are well appreciated.

Today i downloaded lime again.

First tutorial

Create folder “testl”

lime folder

tutorial0.tmx

tileset-platformer.png

main.lua

lime = require(“lime.lime”)

local map = lime.loadMap(“tutorial0.tmx”)

local visual = lime.createVisual(map)

This time map loads but i get this warning: cannot create path for resource file ‘lime.ui.lua’ b/c it des not exist.

When i try with director i get the same error plus director errors plus map doesnt load and takes me to game’s menu instead of level.

Just like to point out that Tiled wasn’t made by us and Lime etc is now owned by Outlaw Game Tools so please thank Jay for that :slight_smile:

Thanks Jay!   

@odijack

Regarding this warning: 

“warning: cannot create path for resource file ‘lime.ui.lua’”

In a previous post, it was mentioned that you can safely ignore this warning.  

@michael714

I cant find that post about safely ignore but i dont really care

What i care for is director :smiley:

Thanks for the tip about removing the one line in lime-objectLayer. Hopefully this gets fixed in a new build? For some reason my game wont run without this line un-commented.

Any thoughts on how to make sprites work with Lime and Tiled?  I tried tutorial 11 and spent most of the night playing around with variations.  Just couldn’t get it to work in the end.  I suspect that because of the new sprite API at Corona, major changes will be needed in Lime.

I’m using Lime + sprites in the GIGJam right now, but I’m creating sprites apart from Lime, then inserting them into one of the layers. 

I have no idea how Lime handles sprites, but I suspect you’re right that major rewriting will be needed due to the changes in sprite handling in the recent past.

This 48-hour game jam has kind of been a “trial by fire” into Lime for me. Hopefully next week I can start taking a look at the sprite part of things and see what that’s all about. Sorry I don’t have any answers for you right now.

Jay

Thanks for the reply, Jay.  And good luck with the gig jam. 

If I remember correctly that function was used for converting the colour of the Object Layer in Tiled to its RGB equivalent. It was, I think, mainly used for debug purposes when you wanted to see the locations and sizes of all the objects.

Hello :smiley:

I downloaded lime and followed the first tutorial but it doesn’t work!

I was running into the same problem.  I was just going through the tutorials at:

http://lime.outlawgametools.com/tutorials-3/

and couldn’t get through “07 - Making Objects Physical”

Your suggestion did the trick.  And, Glitch, thank you for all the free goodies!  Lime and Tiled are cool and your tutorials are well appreciated.

Today i downloaded lime again.

First tutorial

Create folder “testl”

lime folder

tutorial0.tmx

tileset-platformer.png

main.lua

lime = require(“lime.lime”)

local map = lime.loadMap(“tutorial0.tmx”)

local visual = lime.createVisual(map)

This time map loads but i get this warning: cannot create path for resource file ‘lime.ui.lua’ b/c it des not exist.

When i try with director i get the same error plus director errors plus map doesnt load and takes me to game’s menu instead of level.

Just like to point out that Tiled wasn’t made by us and Lime etc is now owned by Outlaw Game Tools so please thank Jay for that :slight_smile:

Thanks Jay!   

@odijack

Regarding this warning: 

“warning: cannot create path for resource file ‘lime.ui.lua’”

In a previous post, it was mentioned that you can safely ignore this warning.  

@michael714

I cant find that post about safely ignore but i dont really care

What i care for is director :smiley:

Thanks for the tip about removing the one line in lime-objectLayer. Hopefully this gets fixed in a new build? For some reason my game wont run without this line un-commented.