Chartboost - Network error since last couple of days (daily build)

Hi,

I am trying to integrate chartboost in an ios game. I followed the guidelines given in the doc as well as the sample program on github. It was working perfectly with the sample ad showing up (interstitial). However, in the last couple of days, it’s constantly giving a network error ( Error 5: Network request failed) . For testing, I used the sample program given at :

https://github.com/swipeware/CoronaChartboostPlugin

(the only change was to substitute my ID and sig )

I built it for the device and checked the logs in xcode (device console/logs) - given below :

OSX Yosemite (V10.10)
Corona SDK 2014.2505 ( 2014.11.12)

xcode log :

Nov 14 23:56:47 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: Chartboost plugin version: 2.0.4 (SDK 5.0.3)
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: type=interstitial
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: name=chartboost
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: phase=failed
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: info=Error 5: Network request failed
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: location=Default
Nov 14 23:56:57 Dev01-Iphone chartTest[7677] <Warning>: response=failed

I am wondering if it has something to do with one of the daily corona sdk builds ?  Is anyone else facing this issue ?

Appreciate any help – Thank you.

The current version of their SDK for iOS has a bug which gives the wrong error code. I had similar problems while I was writing the plugin and I worked with the Chartboost team to isolate the issue. It will be fixed in their next release which is due soon.

The code you most likely should be getting is error code 6 (no ad found) which means there is no inventory for your device. It’s a bit weird if you see this day after day though. There should be at least a few ads available after waiting 24 hours, but I do know that their inventory is a bit scarce for certain countries.

Ingemar, thank you for the prompt response as well as making this plugin available to the Corona community.  Hopefully, the chartboost team will be able to fix the bug in their SDK soon. What’s really weird is that the only error generated is the network one ( Error 5: Network request failed). I will wait for couple of days to see if it gets resolved and then submit my app for review. ( and add chartboost in a subsequent release ).

@luanewbie

May I ask in which city/country are you located?

Another thing to check is your campaign settings for the app-id/sig you’re using. If you’ve changed any of the settings from their default values it may limit the number of ads available.

I have tested the sample app with my own id/sig with Corona build 2014.2506 and it served ads as expected.

@ingemar,    New Jersey / US

No, I haven’t changed any of the default values in the campaign – min/max/targeted countries/devices etc  (currently , there is only one app  ). If it was an issue of lack of inventory, then I guess the error-code perhaps might be “6”.  However, in my case, it is consistantly showing up as “Error 5: Network request failed”.   Though, it may not be relevant, I tried testing from separate WiFi points ( as well as tried disabling wifi ) – still the same result.

New Jersey/US. They should have plenty of ads in their inventory.

The problem is that with the current version of their SDK (5.0.3) an Error 6 returns Error 5. So it’s not possible to know if it’s a true Error 5 or not. In my testing every time Error 5 was returned it actually should have been an Error 6. They have fixed that in their 5.0.4 release that it due to be released soon. But that will not fix the problem you’re seeing though as it only fixes the incorrect error code returned.

It still looks like there are no ads being served for your campaign for some reason. Have you tried to re-activate test-mode? Chartboost automatically deactivates test-mode after about 20 impressions, so you might need to re-activate it.

I have tested the Sample app with 2014.2506 today with a live app-id/sig of mine and it served ads without any issue.

…also be aware that any changes in the Chartboost web console will take about 30 minutes to take effect.

@ingemar , You are AWESOME !!!  Yes, the pesky little test-mode was the culprit ( along with the misleading error-code). I re-activated the test-mode and everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

The current version of their SDK for iOS has a bug which gives the wrong error code. I had similar problems while I was writing the plugin and I worked with the Chartboost team to isolate the issue. It will be fixed in their next release which is due soon.

The code you most likely should be getting is error code 6 (no ad found) which means there is no inventory for your device. It’s a bit weird if you see this day after day though. There should be at least a few ads available after waiting 24 hours, but I do know that their inventory is a bit scarce for certain countries.

Ingemar, thank you for the prompt response as well as making this plugin available to the Corona community.  Hopefully, the chartboost team will be able to fix the bug in their SDK soon. What’s really weird is that the only error generated is the network one ( Error 5: Network request failed). I will wait for couple of days to see if it gets resolved and then submit my app for review. ( and add chartboost in a subsequent release ).

@luanewbie

May I ask in which city/country are you located?

Another thing to check is your campaign settings for the app-id/sig you’re using. If you’ve changed any of the settings from their default values it may limit the number of ads available.

I have tested the sample app with my own id/sig with Corona build 2014.2506 and it served ads as expected.

@ingemar,    New Jersey / US

No, I haven’t changed any of the default values in the campaign – min/max/targeted countries/devices etc  (currently , there is only one app  ). If it was an issue of lack of inventory, then I guess the error-code perhaps might be “6”.  However, in my case, it is consistantly showing up as “Error 5: Network request failed”.   Though, it may not be relevant, I tried testing from separate WiFi points ( as well as tried disabling wifi ) – still the same result.

New Jersey/US. They should have plenty of ads in their inventory.

The problem is that with the current version of their SDK (5.0.3) an Error 6 returns Error 5. So it’s not possible to know if it’s a true Error 5 or not. In my testing every time Error 5 was returned it actually should have been an Error 6. They have fixed that in their 5.0.4 release that it due to be released soon. But that will not fix the problem you’re seeing though as it only fixes the incorrect error code returned.

It still looks like there are no ads being served for your campaign for some reason. Have you tried to re-activate test-mode? Chartboost automatically deactivates test-mode after about 20 impressions, so you might need to re-activate it.

I have tested the Sample app with 2014.2506 today with a live app-id/sig of mine and it served ads without any issue.

…also be aware that any changes in the Chartboost web console will take about 30 minutes to take effect.

@ingemar , You are AWESOME !!!  Yes, the pesky little test-mode was the culprit ( along with the misleading error-code). I re-activated the test-mode and everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile: