Chartboost on Simulator

Hey @ingemar.

Finally testing your plugin here.  The first part (configuration) was really smooth due to your great code example in your github. Thanks!

One question:  I noted that when running the plugin on the Corona Simulator, I am getting the following output:

2014-12-02 05:02:38.016 Corona Simulator[4539:d07] !WARNING! \> The chartboost plugin is only supported on an Android & iOS devices. Please build for device

I believe that the check if it is Simulator or not (and thus printing that message) was done by you manually, correct?

Are you sure that the plugin does not work on Simulator? Because the former original Chartboost lua plugin (made by Chartboost) worked on the simulator, so it was a great way to test without having to build to the device.

Do you mind checking if that is the case ? (if the plugin works on the Simulator, and if you find appropriate, remove that restriction)

Congrats again for helping the community.

Best,

Renato

Hey @Renato!

The Chartboost library made by Chartboost was not a plugin. It worked in the Corona Simulator because it was developed as a Lua module with specific code for Corona.

The plugin I’ve made is based on Chartboost’s native iOS and Android SDKs, and as such require a device-build to run.

You can also test using the Xcode simulator (and the Android Emulator however I’ve never used the emulator on Android myself). 

Yes, I see. But following your logic, no plugin would work on simulator, and that is not the case does it?

Even Corona promotes their most expensive tier (Enterprise Unlimited) as that you can host your custom plugins on the server so you can use it on the Simulator.

I understand that not every native plugin can run on the simulator like the Contact List or any plugin that requires a device built in feature. But that would not be the case of Chartboost, since it only shows a View (the ad) on top of the screen.

Do you get my point?

I happen to have Unlimited. It allows me to host plugins I develop on my own server, so that I can test how plugin delivery will work for non-Enterprise users. It also allows me to use Corona Simulator to make device builds for plugins that are not hosted by Corona. It doesn’t automatically make it possible to run a plugin in the Corona Simulator though.

Only plugins created using Lua will work in the Corona Simulator. Any plugins based on an Android or iOS SDK will only work on a device.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, just tested on the device. Worked flawless. Thanks again!

Great :slight_smile:

Chartboost released a new version of their iOS SDK last week, and I’m in the process of updating the iOS plugin.

It should be available later today. I’ll make an announcement on the main thread when it’s done…

Hey @Renato!

The Chartboost library made by Chartboost was not a plugin. It worked in the Corona Simulator because it was developed as a Lua module with specific code for Corona.

The plugin I’ve made is based on Chartboost’s native iOS and Android SDKs, and as such require a device-build to run.

You can also test using the Xcode simulator (and the Android Emulator however I’ve never used the emulator on Android myself). 

Yes, I see. But following your logic, no plugin would work on simulator, and that is not the case does it?

Even Corona promotes their most expensive tier (Enterprise Unlimited) as that you can host your custom plugins on the server so you can use it on the Simulator.

I understand that not every native plugin can run on the simulator like the Contact List or any plugin that requires a device built in feature. But that would not be the case of Chartboost, since it only shows a View (the ad) on top of the screen.

Do you get my point?

I happen to have Unlimited. It allows me to host plugins I develop on my own server, so that I can test how plugin delivery will work for non-Enterprise users. It also allows me to use Corona Simulator to make device builds for plugins that are not hosted by Corona. It doesn’t automatically make it possible to run a plugin in the Corona Simulator though.

Only plugins created using Lua will work in the Corona Simulator. Any plugins based on an Android or iOS SDK will only work on a device.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, just tested on the device. Worked flawless. Thanks again!

Great :slight_smile:

Chartboost released a new version of their iOS SDK last week, and I’m in the process of updating the iOS plugin.

It should be available later today. I’ll make an announcement on the main thread when it’s done…