Corona Geek Show Topics and Questions

Hey Gang,

The Corona Geek format is pretty simple. To start we are focusing on developer interviews, app reviews, video tutorials, and live event coverage. Let me know if you have any suggestions for Corona Geek show topics, show format ideas, or questions about how the show works.

Fill out the form here if you want me to contact you about being on the show, http://www.coronalabs.com/community/corona-geek/

For now, here are some of the questions I am currently asking myself.

• Which industry events should we be attending?

• Which app developers should we be talking to?

• Which apps should we be reviewing?

• Which toolmakers should we be talking to?

• What Corona topics should we be creating tutorials for?

• Which industry topics should we be discussing?

You guys know what you want to learn more about, so don’t hold back. If you want to hear from someone specific or talk about some aspect of mobile development or marketing, let me know. If I can’t find the answer inside of Corona Labs, I’ll find someone with the experience we need to come and be on the show to answer your questions.

Okay. That’s it. Talk with you soon.

• CM
    [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 334687[/import]

Now that you’re officially part of the team (congrats) would be nice to see a few sneak peaks of future developments on the framework, similar to how Carlos used to give us peeks of what was in the works or something like this:

http://atg.anscamobile.com/

Shame that’s still not being maintained :frowning: [import]uid: 33275 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 137853[/import]

SegaBoy,

I think that’s a great idea. That’s on my list of show ideas for sure. I’d like to pull in the engineers and have them explain things as time permits. I know there are a lot of interesting cross platform bits to consider that no one sees. The SDK tries to remove the need to have to deal with the under the hood, platform specific stuff, but sometimes its good to understand the “why” of something.

I’ll see what I can work out, especially with the Corona Cloud pieces. It would be cool to do a series of videos as new things become available. That’s really the point of Corona Geek. The weekly hangout is really just the first step. So keep these kinds of suggestions coming. It’s exactly what I need to know. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138196[/import]

Thanks John. I’ll be sure to take a look. I’m big on learning so I’m alway interested in seeing how other people do things. That’s part of what drives me to talk with other developers on Corona Geek. I’m not all that pretty to look at, but I enjoy doing it.

Regarding the interview, I did talk with Carlos via email last year, but we agreed that since he’s focused on things outside of Corona, it didn’t make much sense. Also, there are a lot of great things happening in the developer community, so I’m just trying to get my arms around it all and stay focused.

Thanks for the tip. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138215[/import]

Hey Charles! Congrats!!! Love the show.

Marketing, Marketing Marketing! Some of my favorite Corona Geek shows were about how developer can best market their apps. I really like the one you did with Carter or David for instance. I would love an interview with Joe from Fire Mapple Games:

http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2012/02/08/interview-firemaplegames-spills-his-secrets-to-app-store-success/

Of course i cannot wait to see more videos about Corona Cloud. Mohamed was fantastic in the last interview.

Anyway I wish you good luck with all these projects. I think marketing is the forgotten piece for many developers, including me! (we like to code**)

Cheers.

Mo
@LairdGames

** It took me 2 years+ to finish Space Command and I spent few days marketing it at the end. NOT a good ratio:)

[import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138237[/import]

Agreed Mo. Marketing is a key component that’s missing for a lot of apps. If you look at the apps / games that are doing well, it usually the ones that have invested time into marketing. And it make sense, right. The developers invest a lot of time into creating the app, but if no one knows it’s there or doesn’t understand why they should want it, then the developer isn’t getting the full reward for their efforts.

In David’s interview he talked a lot about app marketing, so that’s a excellent video to watch.

For now, it’s still here: http://coronageek.com/774/corona-geek-hangout-10/

I’ve broken up the video in to segment and will be publishing them soon.

Several people have recommended that I talk with Fire Maple Games, so I have them on my list to invite to the show. I also want to bring on other developers who have had success with marketing their apps to hear their stories as well. I think this is a conversation that we can all benefit from, so it’s very important to have.

I’m looking forward to Corona Cloud as well. Mohamed Hamedi is an excellent communicator and I think what he and his brother are very sharp individuals. I’ve been talking with him about creating some videos for that service as well. I’ll let you know when I have something to show.

Thank you for watching / listening and supporting the show. I really appreciate it.
[import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138294[/import]

Now that you’re officially part of the team (congrats) would be nice to see a few sneak peaks of future developments on the framework, similar to how Carlos used to give us peeks of what was in the works or something like this:

http://atg.anscamobile.com/

Shame that’s still not being maintained :frowning: [import]uid: 33275 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 137853[/import]

@Charles. Do not forget the “failure” stories! Many times you can learn more about those (things no to do, things that seems logical at the time to do in marketing but did not bring any value)

Not sure if that the way you want to go but I will really love the use of this new outlet (Corona geek) for some advanced tutorials on coding (storyboard, in-app…) from people like Brent, Rob, Mohamed and other at Corona. I will also love having the person from ArdentKid do some video tutorials on OOP. He has an amazing ability to explain complex subjects in a great way.

So we can end up a year from now with a huge video library of Corona tutorials!

Thanks for listening.

Mo
@LairdGames [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138569[/import]

Absolutely Mo. I subscribe to the philosophy that failure is how we learn, so the trick is to fail faster. So, I will definitely be sure to bring the good, bad, and ugly to the conversation wherever possible. That’s where connecting and learning from each other has so much value.

Thanks again for watching and supporting the show. I really do appreciate it. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138657[/import]

SegaBoy,

I think that’s a great idea. That’s on my list of show ideas for sure. I’d like to pull in the engineers and have them explain things as time permits. I know there are a lot of interesting cross platform bits to consider that no one sees. The SDK tries to remove the need to have to deal with the under the hood, platform specific stuff, but sometimes its good to understand the “why” of something.

I’ll see what I can work out, especially with the Corona Cloud pieces. It would be cool to do a series of videos as new things become available. That’s really the point of Corona Geek. The weekly hangout is really just the first step. So keep these kinds of suggestions coming. It’s exactly what I need to know. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138196[/import]

Thanks John. I’ll be sure to take a look. I’m big on learning so I’m alway interested in seeing how other people do things. That’s part of what drives me to talk with other developers on Corona Geek. I’m not all that pretty to look at, but I enjoy doing it.

Regarding the interview, I did talk with Carlos via email last year, but we agreed that since he’s focused on things outside of Corona, it didn’t make much sense. Also, there are a lot of great things happening in the developer community, so I’m just trying to get my arms around it all and stay focused.

Thanks for the tip. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138215[/import]

Hey Charles! Congrats!!! Love the show.

Marketing, Marketing Marketing! Some of my favorite Corona Geek shows were about how developer can best market their apps. I really like the one you did with Carter or David for instance. I would love an interview with Joe from Fire Mapple Games:

http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2012/02/08/interview-firemaplegames-spills-his-secrets-to-app-store-success/

Of course i cannot wait to see more videos about Corona Cloud. Mohamed was fantastic in the last interview.

Anyway I wish you good luck with all these projects. I think marketing is the forgotten piece for many developers, including me! (we like to code**)

Cheers.

Mo
@LairdGames

** It took me 2 years+ to finish Space Command and I spent few days marketing it at the end. NOT a good ratio:)

[import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138237[/import]

Agreed Mo. Marketing is a key component that’s missing for a lot of apps. If you look at the apps / games that are doing well, it usually the ones that have invested time into marketing. And it make sense, right. The developers invest a lot of time into creating the app, but if no one knows it’s there or doesn’t understand why they should want it, then the developer isn’t getting the full reward for their efforts.

In David’s interview he talked a lot about app marketing, so that’s a excellent video to watch.

For now, it’s still here: http://coronageek.com/774/corona-geek-hangout-10/

I’ve broken up the video in to segment and will be publishing them soon.

Several people have recommended that I talk with Fire Maple Games, so I have them on my list to invite to the show. I also want to bring on other developers who have had success with marketing their apps to hear their stories as well. I think this is a conversation that we can all benefit from, so it’s very important to have.

I’m looking forward to Corona Cloud as well. Mohamed Hamedi is an excellent communicator and I think what he and his brother are very sharp individuals. I’ve been talking with him about creating some videos for that service as well. I’ll let you know when I have something to show.

Thank you for watching / listening and supporting the show. I really appreciate it.
[import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138294[/import]

@Charles. Do not forget the “failure” stories! Many times you can learn more about those (things no to do, things that seems logical at the time to do in marketing but did not bring any value)

Not sure if that the way you want to go but I will really love the use of this new outlet (Corona geek) for some advanced tutorials on coding (storyboard, in-app…) from people like Brent, Rob, Mohamed and other at Corona. I will also love having the person from ArdentKid do some video tutorials on OOP. He has an amazing ability to explain complex subjects in a great way.

So we can end up a year from now with a huge video library of Corona tutorials!

Thanks for listening.

Mo
@LairdGames [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138569[/import]

Absolutely Mo. I subscribe to the philosophy that failure is how we learn, so the trick is to fail faster. So, I will definitely be sure to bring the good, bad, and ugly to the conversation wherever possible. That’s where connecting and learning from each other has so much value.

Thanks again for watching and supporting the show. I really do appreciate it. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 138657[/import]

I think it’d be great to have a “Code” segment, where you talk a little more directly to how to solve specific coding problems. For example discuss what a state machine is and coding techniques for creating one. [import]uid: 132483 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 140001[/import]

Thanks JonPM for the suggestion. Code segments are definitely on my radar. I’ve been trying to work in app reviews during the week. A weekly, or bi-weekly code throw down would be a nice addition to the mix.

In passing, if anyone wants to submit code for a video, let me know that as well. I’ll definitely try to being tips and tricks to the table, but if someone has snippet they’d like to share for show and tell, we can always work that in as well. I think it would be a great way for everyone to learn from each other. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 140007[/import]

@Charles Another topic which I would LOVE you guys talk about is ASO (app store optimization) I decided to start a conversation about this important topic in the forum

http://developer.coronalabs.com/forum/2013/01/26/conversation-about-aso-app-store-optimization-please-join-conversation

But I think it is important enough (in my view) to the success of any indie app (people who do not 250K to spend on promotion) and hopefully you could bring maybe some guests and company that provide ASO tool such as Appcod.es and SearchMan SEO. I actually started using Appcod.es and so I like it very much. It will be great to get experts on this subjects in the show and maybe asked them to demonstrate how to best use their on a specific app. Show what’s the mistakes that indie make when choosing keywords. I am very attach to the idea of using a specific app on the air and trying to deconstruct it and then improve the keywords. Because talking about app SEO is great but nothing beats going from an app with poor choice of keywords (I think most are) and then showing how to improve it will be very valuable to the Corona community.

I hope to watch an episode on ASO soon on Corona Geek!

Cheers,

Mo

ps: The reason i got interested about ASO is that I discovered that I choose very poorly my keywords on my first app (Space Command) I am waiting for an update with a new set of keywords which I hope will improve my app visibility. Of course it is an on-going process so I think it will take couple iterations before I can find the most optimal keywords… [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 140452[/import]

I think it’d be great to have a “Code” segment, where you talk a little more directly to how to solve specific coding problems. For example discuss what a state machine is and coding techniques for creating one. [import]uid: 132483 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 140001[/import]

Thanks JonPM for the suggestion. Code segments are definitely on my radar. I’ve been trying to work in app reviews during the week. A weekly, or bi-weekly code throw down would be a nice addition to the mix.

In passing, if anyone wants to submit code for a video, let me know that as well. I’ll definitely try to being tips and tricks to the table, but if someone has snippet they’d like to share for show and tell, we can always work that in as well. I think it would be a great way for everyone to learn from each other. [import]uid: 208407 topic_id: 34687 reply_id: 140007[/import]