Corona is the only runtime not supporting meshes?

Does it mean we have to wait 2-5 years?

from http://feedback.coronalabs.com

Anti-aliasing, 44 votes, post at March 07, 2013.   http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/3723228-anti-aliasing

David commented  ·  May 05, 2015 18:44  ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a showstopper for us. We’ve been evaluating Corona for a new app and requires a high quality drawing output. Lack of anti-aliasing would be a nail in the coffin :frowning:

Vector graphics support, 254 votes, post at January 24, 2013 http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/3584597-vector-graphics-support

LessmsIOS commented  ·  April 11, 2015 9:13 AM  ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 2 years now… guess not in my lifetime. Too bad - it would have only made Corona apps look better.

Widgets to replace native textbox and textfield 646 votes, post at    
Jan 22, 2013, http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/3577682-widgets-to-replace-native-textbox-and-textfield,
Anonymous commented  ·  March 5, 2015 9:04 AM  ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very, very important for business app. I’ve been waiting for this solutions for the last 4 years and nothing has changed. It is impossible to develop good business app due to limitation of native object - textfield,webview etc. Please corona do something alternative!

The total number of votes doesn’t determine when we get to it. Other factors like how difficult it is to implement? how much support it will require? How cross platform will it be? What work arounds are available?, etc.

So things like widgets to replace native text fields is something we probably won’t tackle until we get a 10 fold increase in engineering resources. It’s simply too hard and time consuming with regards to engineering time. We did a tutorial on how to build a widget framework around native.newTextFields, we’ve made them able to be moved in groups, help with positioning and text sizing with them and the community has built a very full featured widget that still uses native.newTextFields. To actually implement the text fields as OpenGL objects would be insanely difficult.  We get it that you want it, but its simply not practical.

Vector Graphics I think would be quite popular, but we’ve been chasing more important features, features that will impact more users and things that get dumped on us.  We have to keep functioning when Apple, Google, Facebook and such dropping breaking changes on us and an increasing rate.  

So maybe after we get Windows and OS-X builds out the door and we get the Fuse items integrated then we can tackle more things on the list.  Windows and OS-X builds are two of the most requested features. But it won’t get tackled if its not on the feedback site and there are not votes, then it won’t happen for sure.

Rob

FYI For anyone else following this link and want meshes in Spine heres the vote link.  Cant hurt getting some extra votes to increase support to get this fixed.  Please give it a vote

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/8614108-add-meshes-support-for-spine

Currently Corona is in a select group 2 out of 17 game engines that don’t support meshes. The spine code is all written.

Heres the trello card explaining - https://trello.com/c/EYKjopI3/56-update-runtimes-for-latest-editor-features

Devs we realise that theres a lot on your plate, but if this is a low-medium hanging fruit in terms of difficulty we’d love you to shift up urgency, or do a late nighter and daily build a version where you rejig vertex scaling and mesh redering with a spine workaround for time being.

Thanks

Does anyone know if something has happened? Is this going to be fixed? I have voted but as @pickerel wrote, it may take years :frowning:

I have played around with spine for a while and none of my meshed animations worked?!? I didn´t know that Corona is unable to render meshes. This is critical for me because all my future clients want animations in their apps and spine is AWESOME for that.

If this is not supported soon I guess this might be it, and it makes me so sad because I LOVE Corona SDK, Corona forums, Corona Geek and everything about Corona :frowning:

Dear Rob Miracle or Santa Claus :slight_smile: This is my christmas wish; please pull some strings and do your magic to make Corona support meshes in Spine. If you do, I promise to be nice for the rest of my life :smiley:

Engineering has looked at this and its much more complex than it seems on the surface. We have higher priority items to work on at this time, so continue to vote for this. I don’t have a target number of votes needed, but 63 isn’t it given the complexity of the work vs. existing engineering priorities. 

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/8614108-add-meshes-support-for-spine

Rob

Rob, that’s very unfortunate to hear. Since Corona prides itself as a game engine this is a really big deal as far as getting top notch animation in our 2d games. I hope the powers that be reconsider or we can pull more votes. Anyone that has used Spine will know how huge this really is.

Thanks Rob for a quick reply!

I understand that you can´t fix everything the community throws at you :frowning:

I guess since it´s just 63 votes and a complicated task we won´t see this solved anytime soon. Thats to bad :frowning:

Fixing meshes will mean games and animations will look much better.  In the case of Spine, people can see meshes work for all their runtimes… except Corona. It’s just a shame when Corona’s shortcomings are compared and called out like this in the graphics and animation communities. These very groups are artists before coders so you’d think Corona would otherwise be an ideal SDK for them. An opportunity being lost I think…

I’m curious now. Went to the Spine site and there is a Corona run-time. Has anyone ever used this successfully with Corona?

http://esotericsoftware.com/

Yes… Many of us have

Aaaah!

I need meshes for most of my animations in my current project. Otherwise they will look like *bliiip*. And I have coded to much to start over again in another SDK. What to dooo…?! Blah  :( When I started my project, I did´t know corona was the only runtime not supporting meshes.

I hope @roj will hire @StarCrunch to. I bet he would fix this quickly with his beautiful mind  :slight_smile:

Please vote for meshes here:

I’ve been considering this idea for a while, just posting it now. There are quite a few things that a simple interface like that would open up, in my opinion, even if the implementation might be “use at your own risk” for a while.

At the moment, something like meshes really does need SDK support, not so much because of the implementation itself, but that the objects need to be in the hierarchy to be of any use.

(I’m not exactly volunteering to do meshes, though I would be pretty thankful if I was suddenly able to do a few other things listed in that link.  :slight_smile: )

Well, thanks to the recent arrival of the texture canvas resource and some pointers from the staff concerning shaders, I recently started a mesh implementation. Building on this, as of last night I have some Spine meshes rendering, using a few assets kindly provided by sirmania : link

It’s still a bit lacking: there are no per-vertex colors (I’m not sure I have anything to test this with, at the moment) nor FFD (I believe I’ve got a mesh that uses this). Also, the draw order needs fixing somewhere. Otherwise, you might be good to go. (The mesh stuff is implemented in mesh.lua and the impl directory. It’s a bit messy and not well-commented or -documented!)

These aren’t straight-up display objects, so various properties like rotation, scaling, and so on probably won’t work quite as expected, if these are even relevant. Perhaps as I refine the mesh object I could address some of them, or maybe something official will land down the road.

I’ve made a pull request of the non-Corona-specific bits to the Spine crew, so possibly that will make it in soon. We’ll see what they want to do about the rest.

I think I’ll leave it a few days before giving FFD a go. In the meantime, let me know of any weird results.  :slight_smile:

EDIT : Some of that other stuff (more or less) works now too.

Does anyone know if something has happened? Is this going to be fixed? I have voted but as @pickerel wrote, it may take years :frowning:

I have played around with spine for a while and none of my meshed animations worked?!? I didn´t know that Corona is unable to render meshes. This is critical for me because all my future clients want animations in their apps and spine is AWESOME for that.

If this is not supported soon I guess this might be it, and it makes me so sad because I LOVE Corona SDK, Corona forums, Corona Geek and everything about Corona :frowning:

Dear Rob Miracle or Santa Claus :slight_smile: This is my christmas wish; please pull some strings and do your magic to make Corona support meshes in Spine. If you do, I promise to be nice for the rest of my life :smiley:

Engineering has looked at this and its much more complex than it seems on the surface. We have higher priority items to work on at this time, so continue to vote for this. I don’t have a target number of votes needed, but 63 isn’t it given the complexity of the work vs. existing engineering priorities. 

Rob

Rob, that’s very unfortunate to hear. Since Corona prides itself as a game engine this is a really big deal as far as getting top notch animation in our 2d games. I hope the powers that be reconsider or we can pull more votes. Anyone that has used Spine will know how huge this really is.

Thanks Rob for a quick reply!

I understand that you can´t fix everything the community throws at you :frowning:

I guess since it´s just 63 votes and a complicated task we won´t see this solved anytime soon. Thats to bad :frowning:

Fixing meshes will mean games and animations will look much better.  In the case of Spine, people can see meshes work for all their runtimes… except Corona. It’s just a shame when Corona’s shortcomings are compared and called out like this in the graphics and animation communities. These very groups are artists before coders so you’d think Corona would otherwise be an ideal SDK for them. An opportunity being lost I think…

I see the Feature request for meshes in Spine has just been updated to: Planned. Sounds exciting. What’s the average time between planned and delivered I wonder? Anyone know any more?

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/8614108-add-meshes-support-for-spine?tracking_code=eb2182edd63f73ac241d19ce3d32e924

@kilopop, there are too way many variable to answer that question. We don’t normally marked things “planned” because the community turns that into a promise.

Rob