Deep Blue Apps, Templates and Resources

Thanks DBA! I just purchased the template. What’s next? [import]uid: 14218 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135243[/import]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW: Rotation Runner - £5 GBP
Requires Corona 2012.894 +

An endless runner template game, where the world rotates around you!
Jump and Double jump to try and stay on the platforms as the rotate around you. Earn points for every second you can stay alive. For each second that passes the world rotates faster and faster, requiring lightning jumping and timing.

Each rotation of the game sees the blocks change size, width and position making it impossible to guess whats coming next.

From this template there are so many game options and variations you can build.

Features:

• Random platforms generated each rotation
  • Clever physics destroying and assigning
  • Elliptical rotation around a central point
  • Single and Double jump mechanics
  • Simple, clean code to follow and adapt.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/rotation-runner-corona/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2I_SV5sg4&feature=player_embedded

Cheers everyone, thanks again for your amazing support and Merry Christmas.
Wayne
www.deepblueapps.com
[import]uid: 125294 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135658[/import]

Can’t wait to see what’s next! [import]uid: 14218 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135759[/import]

Thanks Daniel,
We appreciate the support.

Up next is an endless running template - should be ready Wednesday this week. Here’s a quick video we made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2I_SV5sg4

Cheers
Wayne
www.deepblueapps.com [import]uid: 125294 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135474[/import]

Looking forward to buying this template as well! [import]uid: 14218 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135483[/import]

NEW: Rotation Runner - £5 GBP
Requires Corona 2012.894 +

An endless runner template game, where the world rotates around you!
Jump and Double jump to try and stay on the platforms as the rotate around you. Earn points for every second you can stay alive. For each second that passes the world rotates faster and faster, requiring lightning jumping and timing.

Each rotation of the game sees the blocks change size, width and position making it impossible to guess whats coming next.

From this template there are so many game options and variations you can build.

Features:

• Random platforms generated each rotation
  • Clever physics destroying and assigning
  • Elliptical rotation around a central point
  • Single and Double jump mechanics
  • Simple, clean code to follow and adapt.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/rotation-runner-corona/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2I_SV5sg4&feature=player_embedded

Cheers everyone, thanks again for your amazing support and Merry Christmas.
Wayne
www.deepblueapps.com
[import]uid: 125294 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135658[/import]

Can’t wait to see what’s next! [import]uid: 14218 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 135759[/import]

Bought both Fall Panda and Rotation Runner. Both a great start for an app. I have couple questions if I may:

Fall Panda: How would you suggest to improve on the game play. I am not sure how to add boxes and stars to pickup? I am looking at Level Director and was wondering if that could be use for adding content to the game. I also have Gumbo.

Rotation Runner: I am hoping to setup different shape for the plateforms (round and other shapes) I was wondering how I could deal with that? I know for instance that Level Director has a shape editor.

I would appreciate any suggestions and thank you for developing such amazing templates! I would suggest them to anybody but especiellay for people who are just starting. They will learn a lot on how to develop app with Corona. I have been working with Corona for 2 years now but never had chance to looking into Storyboard (used Director) but now i can see how to use it thanks to your templates.

THANKS

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136740[/import]

Hi Mo,

Thank you for your support over at Deep Blue Apps.com

For the Fall Fu Panda Template we used the GUMBO tool to create the levels. It’s very easy to create new levels. Using the initial/Gumbo created [build_level_1.xml] file you can quickly move the boxes and enemies around to create a new level. Then using the co-ordinates the Gumbo tool generates, create a new level. If you look inside the game lua file [level1.lua], you will see where you add the new co-ordinates for your boxes and enemies.

If you need a copy of the [build_level_1.xml] file then you can download it from our web site here. You’ll need a copy of Gumbo to open the XML file, but once opened - edit, rotate and move the sprites where you want them, then create the LUA code to grab the co-ordinates.

As for ‘expanding the gameplay’, you could look to add lots of levels with devilish challenges for your users. In the Example leve we provide there is only one way to complete the level for example. Add more enemies and more obstacles too. Moving platforms, Black holes, portals, invisible walls etc etc… The gameplay options are endless really.

I’ve worked briefly with Level Director, and it looks great, you could certainly use that for laying out your sprites too.

For the Rotation Runner Template

You could certainly look to change the ‘shape’ of the platforms. You’ll see in the code that we create either an IMAGE or flat colour for the platforms, then attach a PHYSICS BODY to them. This physics body is destroyed on each rotation, then re-assigned after the platform has changed size and position, ready for the player to jump on to.

As the Physics Body is destroyed, you could attach a NEW Physics body using a Shape Definition or even a circular radius body. This is all certainly doable, and would indeed at an extra dimension and challenge to the gameplay. Keep in mind that there are always 8 platforms being rotated using COS and SIN to create an elliptical rotation, you would need to keep track of which platform is ‘which’ shape.

For the above with the Rotation Runner, the ‘world’ is created within the game using maths / positioning routines, so not sure if you need any type of Level Editors for this one - unless you were going to add more sprites to the scene.

Hope the above helps

Cheers
Wayne
www.deepblueapps.com [import]uid: 125294 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136750[/import]

Wow, thanks, fantastic info!

I will play with the templates and report here if I have any issues. They are very well made!

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136752[/import]

@Wayne Just a quick note to let you know that i am really having fun with the templates! I am seriously looking at releasing a game based on the Rotation Runner but I am having problem figuring out how to re-start the game without going back to the main window? i have to admit I am kind of new to Storyboard (I have been using Director until now) Actually your template allows me to learn more about Storyboard. Anyway I am was hoping to restart the game a la “Angry Birds” where the game can be restarted or you can go back to the main menu (two buttons are shown on the screen when the game is over)

I will appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how I can accomplish this. I will assume the same technique could be use for Fall Panda…

Thanks again for making such high quality templates. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

Mo

ps: While we are talking about Rotation Runner, I will assume that if I wanted to add some sprites (like stars that the runner has to hit to get more points) all I will need to do is spawn those stars randomly and add some checks for “stars” on the onGlobalCollision() function to deal with it? [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136861[/import]

Bought both Fall Panda and Rotation Runner. Both a great start for an app. I have couple questions if I may:

Fall Panda: How would you suggest to improve on the game play. I am not sure how to add boxes and stars to pickup? I am looking at Level Director and was wondering if that could be use for adding content to the game. I also have Gumbo.

Rotation Runner: I am hoping to setup different shape for the plateforms (round and other shapes) I was wondering how I could deal with that? I know for instance that Level Director has a shape editor.

I would appreciate any suggestions and thank you for developing such amazing templates! I would suggest them to anybody but especiellay for people who are just starting. They will learn a lot on how to develop app with Corona. I have been working with Corona for 2 years now but never had chance to looking into Storyboard (used Director) but now i can see how to use it thanks to your templates.

THANKS

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136740[/import]

Hi Mo,

Thank you for your support over at Deep Blue Apps.com

For the Fall Fu Panda Template we used the GUMBO tool to create the levels. It’s very easy to create new levels. Using the initial/Gumbo created [build_level_1.xml] file you can quickly move the boxes and enemies around to create a new level. Then using the co-ordinates the Gumbo tool generates, create a new level. If you look inside the game lua file [level1.lua], you will see where you add the new co-ordinates for your boxes and enemies.

If you need a copy of the [build_level_1.xml] file then you can download it from our web site here. You’ll need a copy of Gumbo to open the XML file, but once opened - edit, rotate and move the sprites where you want them, then create the LUA code to grab the co-ordinates.

As for ‘expanding the gameplay’, you could look to add lots of levels with devilish challenges for your users. In the Example leve we provide there is only one way to complete the level for example. Add more enemies and more obstacles too. Moving platforms, Black holes, portals, invisible walls etc etc… The gameplay options are endless really.

I’ve worked briefly with Level Director, and it looks great, you could certainly use that for laying out your sprites too.

For the Rotation Runner Template

You could certainly look to change the ‘shape’ of the platforms. You’ll see in the code that we create either an IMAGE or flat colour for the platforms, then attach a PHYSICS BODY to them. This physics body is destroyed on each rotation, then re-assigned after the platform has changed size and position, ready for the player to jump on to.

As the Physics Body is destroyed, you could attach a NEW Physics body using a Shape Definition or even a circular radius body. This is all certainly doable, and would indeed at an extra dimension and challenge to the gameplay. Keep in mind that there are always 8 platforms being rotated using COS and SIN to create an elliptical rotation, you would need to keep track of which platform is ‘which’ shape.

For the above with the Rotation Runner, the ‘world’ is created within the game using maths / positioning routines, so not sure if you need any type of Level Editors for this one - unless you were going to add more sprites to the scene.

Hope the above helps

Cheers
Wayne
www.deepblueapps.com [import]uid: 125294 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136750[/import]

Wow, thanks, fantastic info!

I will play with the templates and report here if I have any issues. They are very well made!

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136752[/import]

@Wayne Just a quick note to let you know that i am really having fun with the templates! I am seriously looking at releasing a game based on the Rotation Runner but I am having problem figuring out how to re-start the game without going back to the main window? i have to admit I am kind of new to Storyboard (I have been using Director until now) Actually your template allows me to learn more about Storyboard. Anyway I am was hoping to restart the game a la “Angry Birds” where the game can be restarted or you can go back to the main menu (two buttons are shown on the screen when the game is over)

I will appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how I can accomplish this. I will assume the same technique could be use for Fall Panda…

Thanks again for making such high quality templates. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

Mo

ps: While we are talking about Rotation Runner, I will assume that if I wanted to add some sprites (like stars that the runner has to hit to get more points) all I will need to do is spawn those stars randomly and add some checks for “stars” on the onGlobalCollision() function to deal with it? [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 22933 reply_id: 136861[/import]

@wayne,

Building DBA canvas app with corona ver 2013.1020. If you draw/paint with opacity setting reduced, when the image flattens the colors become darker, and becomes even darker in the next flattening. 

Please advice. 

Ben. 

@wayne,

Building DBA canvas app with corona ver 2013.1020. If you draw/paint with opacity setting reduced, when the image flattens the colors become darker, and becomes even darker in the next flattening. 

Please advice. 

Ben. 

@Wayne

I have finally had time to look into the Rotation Runner Template   that I bought a while ago! It is a great template. What i have notice is that most of the functions and objects are set as global (or at least do not have the keyword “local” in front of them. I am very new to StoryBoard (used Director) and so maybe that the way to code, but I was always to the impressions that you need to avoid globals as much as possible. Of course I understand that the screen size variables like _W and _H should be set as globals so to be used in other modules but many others uses either local in front of them or not. Not sure how you made the decision. 

Still, the template seems to clean after itself nicely!

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Mo

@Wayne

I have finally had time to look into the Rotation Runner Template   that I bought a while ago! It is a great template. What i have notice is that most of the functions and objects are set as global (or at least do not have the keyword “local” in front of them. I am very new to StoryBoard (used Director) and so maybe that the way to code, but I was always to the impressions that you need to avoid globals as much as possible. Of course I understand that the screen size variables like _W and _H should be set as globals so to be used in other modules but many others uses either local in front of them or not. Not sure how you made the decision. 

Still, the template seems to clean after itself nicely!

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Mo

NEW: Granny Dive Template - £60 GBP
Requires Corona 2013.1137

Includes a Mac & PC Desktop GUI Level Editor

GRANNY DIVE is a vertical scrolling, cliff dodging, base jumping template built around the Corona SDK. The download includes the full source code to the game, along with 36 demo levels and our level editor. We’ve kept the gameplay mechanics nice and simple too. Simply tap the LEFT or RIGHT hand side of the screen to move our hero around. Collect the coins and bonuses as you fall.

gdBanner.jpg

To spice things up we’ve created multiple obstacles for you to avoid on your way down, but to help out – we’ve also added a great ZOOM-IN and SLOW MOTION power up. Collect this and the game slows down… Even the music slows down, giving you a chance to catch your breath… It doesn’t last long though – so make it count, before the music speeds back up and you start falling even faster!.

To land our hero safely, you’ll need to tap her as she enters the PARACHUTE ZONE, do it right and she’ll deploy her panty-hose (you might want to add or use a parachute maybe?)… Get it right and she’ll glide down gracefully – leaving you to carefully land on the target base on the ground… Get it wrong – OOPS! she’ll plummet to her death, break her neck and float up to heaven.

To help out your game developments further, we’ve even built a custom LEVEL EDITOR, which runs on your Apple Mac (X.7 and X.8) or PC (XP, Vista and Windows 7). Simply load or create NEW levels using the tool, and save the new levels back to the [Levels] folder within the source code. Creating dozens or hundreds of cunning levels couldn’t be easier. Quickly visualise your game and levels, click on the objects available and add them to the screen – make the levels longer or shorter, change the fall speed and the landing zones – it’s all customisable.

Template Features:

• Saving/Loading scores
  • Saving Highscore
  • iPhone 3, 4, and 5
  • Vertical Scrolling
  • Multiple Levels
  • Comes with 36 demo levels
  • Music / SFX Controls
  • Pause feature
  • Multiple Hazards
  • Multiple Collectables
  • Levels loaded from Tables