description in facebook share dialog on iOS

I’ve implemented the facebook.showDialog() function and it’s working 100% in Android. yay.

However, the same code in iOS behaves differently. The share dialog opens as it should, and the link is there, however, the description field doesn’t appear. It’s just an empty text field. Is this a limitation of iOS? Or a bug?

Here’s my code snippet:

local facebook = require( "plugin.facebook.v4a" ) local shareParams = { link = "https://MissionMeApp.com/", title = "Mission Me game", description = "I've been having a great time playing the Mission Me mobile game! Come join me for free: #MissionMe" } facebook.showDialog( "link", shareParams )

I took a quick look through the code and it should be working the same on both systems. Can you put together a simple test project that our engineer can build without having to try and reproduce the error. It should be complete with build.settings, config.lua and main.lua. Put that in a zip file and use the Report a bug link at the top of the page. I’ll need to get an engineer to look at it. I suspect it might be an issue in the FB SDK for iOS, but I can’t really test it.

Rob

Hmm, I can try and get a sample going. However, I’d suggest that you get an engineer to look at your facebook sample app.

The facebook example app in the current daily build totally fails for me (even with a fb app ID), since it relies on the “publish_actions” permission which facebook no longer supports. I’d also been using the “publish_actions” approach, but now looking to move over to the share dialog. If the facebook sample app had a fully working shareDialog implementation, I’m sure I could use the same strategy in my app.

thanks

We know the Facebook sample needs to be updated, but in this case, since you have code that already works on one platform but not the other so it will be faster for you to put together a simple demo project that our engineer can focus in on instead of them having to get the sample app working first and then look at plugin problems.  

Rob

I’ve found on iOS that using the “feed” param instead of the “link” param allows the description to show as normal, and still includes the link. SO this works:

local facebook = require( "plugin.facebook.v4a" ) local shareParams = { link = "https://MissionMeApp.com/", title = "Mission Me game", description = "I've been having a great time playing the Mission Me mobile game! Come join me for free: #MissionMe" } facebook.showDialog( "feed", shareParams )

I took a quick look through the code and it should be working the same on both systems. Can you put together a simple test project that our engineer can build without having to try and reproduce the error. It should be complete with build.settings, config.lua and main.lua. Put that in a zip file and use the Report a bug link at the top of the page. I’ll need to get an engineer to look at it. I suspect it might be an issue in the FB SDK for iOS, but I can’t really test it.

Rob

Hmm, I can try and get a sample going. However, I’d suggest that you get an engineer to look at your facebook sample app.

The facebook example app in the current daily build totally fails for me (even with a fb app ID), since it relies on the “publish_actions” permission which facebook no longer supports. I’d also been using the “publish_actions” approach, but now looking to move over to the share dialog. If the facebook sample app had a fully working shareDialog implementation, I’m sure I could use the same strategy in my app.

thanks

We know the Facebook sample needs to be updated, but in this case, since you have code that already works on one platform but not the other so it will be faster for you to put together a simple demo project that our engineer can focus in on instead of them having to get the sample app working first and then look at plugin problems.  

Rob

I’ve found on iOS that using the “feed” param instead of the “link” param allows the description to show as normal, and still includes the link. SO this works:

local facebook = require( "plugin.facebook.v4a" ) local shareParams = { link = "https://MissionMeApp.com/", title = "Mission Me game", description = "I've been having a great time playing the Mission Me mobile game! Come join me for free: #MissionMe" } facebook.showDialog( "feed", shareParams )