Developing the Linux build of Corona

Please, where can I download any current version of Corona in the Debian deb package?

Corona for Linux Developers hasn’t been touched by Corona staff in over 17 months. It’s just not a priority for us now.

A couple of Community developers have taken a go at it, but neither committed their changes back to the repository, so those updates appear to have been lost.

Rob

Thank you for answer. It’s a shame, Corona is a very nice development environment and I’m excited about it, just like the Linux I use.

@strunc when Corona as a commercial platform I think it was hard to prioritize Linux because the Linux ecosystem doesn’t lend itself to monetization as well as other platforms.

Now the Corona is becoming MIT open source and launching as Solar, it will probably be a better match with Linux.  While the Linux world doesn’t always lend itself to monetary currency, the currency that Linux is rich in, time, can be applied by the Linux community as an open source effort to integrate with Solar.

I am actively looking at the Linux version because I am very keen on getting it going, but with all this virus crisis I have been deviated to other realms because my main occupation (security and remote work) is getting big and everyone wants a piece of me, and some are actually people doing services of first need. So I cannot just refuse. :-( 

Right now I am in the phase of getting one hour here and there to familiarize myself with current code base to see where I can contribute. Been playing around and have successfully built and run Corona from sources in Ubuntu 18. I am looking in detail to the Simulator Window, looking at the 2 full implementations (Windows and Mac) and see what is missing on the Linux version.  Touched stuff here and there to see how things behave, but is being slow for lack of time and also because the implementations of the 3 platforms is quite different from each other. But I will get there eventaully and will start to contribute. 

Regarding contributions @strunc, I have to warn you that the debian package you talk about is the one I installed and is the version built by the user that Rob was talking about. That version has few copleted thigns, but  they have not been contributed back to the repository, as well as not conatining any sources. My recommendation is to use a Ubuntu 18 dist, clone the repository and build it yourself, it works like a charm . There is somewhere a post I wrote with that adventure…  Good luck

Howdy folks i still have the source :slight_smile: plan to come back to it just had other commitments of late!

Will get to the pc over the weekend and see if we can merge what i have for others to assist :slight_smile:

Still interested just not had the time lately…

Oh @rcraig you are the guy who made the deb package, welcome back!

it would be good if you could create a branch on the repository so people can look at your work, I would love to download your branch to play around as it will help me to easy my earning curve on the codebase. :smiley:

I use Linux Mint 19.3, I cloned the GitHub Corona repository and compiled it. I had to modify the setup_dev.sh script. The result was bad, the development environment was running, but there were many options missing (they were inactive), the build didn’t go for nothing, and the environment fell a lot. Maybe there’s something else to add, I took the tar that excelled on Linux and installed it on my work computer and had the add-ons and the SDK for Android installed. Maybe I did it wrong. Do you have any better steps described? I would be grateful.

Slavek

Hi strunc, this greyed options and missing functionality is why Coronalabs is asking us -the community- for help.  The Linux client is not at the level of windows/mac, is still very much alpha/ because they do not have resources available to complete the task. Hence why we are trying to help completing it. Even if one is not a programmer can help. Even just going around the thingy and listing what is missing would help to see what need done and where, so people can say ‘I  know how to do that’ and maybe do it and contribute it :-D 

Please, where can I download any current version of Corona in the Debian deb package?

Corona for Linux Developers hasn’t been touched by Corona staff in over 17 months. It’s just not a priority for us now.

A couple of Community developers have taken a go at it, but neither committed their changes back to the repository, so those updates appear to have been lost.

Rob

Thank you for answer. It’s a shame, Corona is a very nice development environment and I’m excited about it, just like the Linux I use.

@strunc when Corona as a commercial platform I think it was hard to prioritize Linux because the Linux ecosystem doesn’t lend itself to monetization as well as other platforms.

Now the Corona is becoming MIT open source and launching as Solar, it will probably be a better match with Linux.  While the Linux world doesn’t always lend itself to monetary currency, the currency that Linux is rich in, time, can be applied by the Linux community as an open source effort to integrate with Solar.

I am actively looking at the Linux version because I am very keen on getting it going, but with all this virus crisis I have been deviated to other realms because my main occupation (security and remote work) is getting big and everyone wants a piece of me, and some are actually people doing services of first need. So I cannot just refuse. :-( 

Right now I am in the phase of getting one hour here and there to familiarize myself with current code base to see where I can contribute. Been playing around and have successfully built and run Corona from sources in Ubuntu 18. I am looking in detail to the Simulator Window, looking at the 2 full implementations (Windows and Mac) and see what is missing on the Linux version.  Touched stuff here and there to see how things behave, but is being slow for lack of time and also because the implementations of the 3 platforms is quite different from each other. But I will get there eventaully and will start to contribute. 

Regarding contributions @strunc, I have to warn you that the debian package you talk about is the one I installed and is the version built by the user that Rob was talking about. That version has few copleted thigns, but  they have not been contributed back to the repository, as well as not conatining any sources. My recommendation is to use a Ubuntu 18 dist, clone the repository and build it yourself, it works like a charm . There is somewhere a post I wrote with that adventure…  Good luck

Howdy folks i still have the source :slight_smile: plan to come back to it just had other commitments of late!

Will get to the pc over the weekend and see if we can merge what i have for others to assist :slight_smile:

Still interested just not had the time lately…

Oh @rcraig you are the guy who made the deb package, welcome back!

it would be good if you could create a branch on the repository so people can look at your work, I would love to download your branch to play around as it will help me to easy my earning curve on the codebase. :smiley:

I use Linux Mint 19.3, I cloned the GitHub Corona repository and compiled it. I had to modify the setup_dev.sh script. The result was bad, the development environment was running, but there were many options missing (they were inactive), the build didn’t go for nothing, and the environment fell a lot. Maybe there’s something else to add, I took the tar that excelled on Linux and installed it on my work computer and had the add-ons and the SDK for Android installed. Maybe I did it wrong. Do you have any better steps described? I would be grateful.

Slavek

Hi strunc, this greyed options and missing functionality is why Coronalabs is asking us -the community- for help.  The Linux client is not at the level of windows/mac, is still very much alpha/ because they do not have resources available to complete the task. Hence why we are trying to help completing it. Even if one is not a programmer can help. Even just going around the thingy and listing what is missing would help to see what need done and where, so people can say ‘I  know how to do that’ and maybe do it and contribute it :-D 

OK so I made a massive blunder and thought I had all the work I had done safely tucked away. But alas it wasn’t to be…

The air was blue I can tell you!!!

So I setup the dev environment again. Pulled the latest sources and started again. That was over a week ago and well as I felt so terrible about everything I have been working like a beaver to get things back to where they were.

So I am there! I have it ALL synced on GitHub and have also build a deb package for people to install and try. Here is the url to the deb package: https://github.com/rcraig12/submodule-platform-linux/releases

I will get the code synced as soon as Vlad has time to merge in the pull request.

So sorry folks for the delay!

What would this linux build mean? Would the games be playable on linux too or would linux just become a distribution platform?