Developing the Linux build of Corona

Great work, putting the changes in mean we can build on top of your hard work, specially on the GTK area. Thanks again. Let’s hope I cna start work soon too. :slight_smile:

I have not pulled it yet, but the previous work that rcraig12 did was to do with the project interface, so one could create and customize projects, so answering to your question is to be able to host projects, i.e. build and run projects on the simulator running on Linux.

Other  people is working on the Linux runtime. The CoronaLabs Team did a first run at building a Linux app from Windows/Mac so it can be run in Linux natively. The instructions are on the github page. They need help in this area

Although I have not a lot of time (but 5000% interest) I will focus on helping make the simulator code to be parallel to the windows and mac versions (which is what rcraig12 is also doing) and when possible create a CentOS/Red Had installable of the simulator. 

@pixec, before we stopped work on it, there were two things you could do:

From Windows or macOS, you could build for Linux. It produced a .deb file as well as a .tar.gz file (that would in theory run on RedHat based distros. This was to a late alpha-pre beta level of functionality. This could get turned on by tweaking your registry settings, or the Mac “defaults” version.

Then a separate project was to get the Simulator running under Linux, mostly focused on Ubuntu since that was the OS we were building on. Eventually it would be nice for it to run on .rpm based systems. With this, you could build FOR Linux and FOR Android. This was at a “Preview” to “way way early Alpha” in quality.

Robert Craig stepped in and worked on the “Run from Linux, build for Linux/Android” side and spent time working on the dialogs needed to build things and freshening that up. I don’t believe any work was into making the builds more functional.

That’s pretty much the state of where Linux support is. Going forward, Vlad will not have the time to work on Linux for a long time. If he gets enough funding, he want’s to get Switch support in after dealing with OpenGL/Metal on iOS, AndroidX artifacts on Google, etc. So if the community wants Linux support to improve, the community will have to step up and work on it.

Rob

It is the intention to bring the linux app up to similar functionality as the windows and Mac versions. Still getting my head round the source code. So it is going to take time! Happy for anyone to assist in that regard :slight_smile: Going to run through the windows build and create a list of what needs done. Unfortunately with zero docs and a distracted Corona team its just going to take time :slight_smile:

Solar2D on Linux has been taken over by myself, with help from Rob Craig. Development continues here: https://github.com/DannyGlover/Solar2DTux/tree/dev

If you want to test the latest build, see the new post on the top of this forum.

Locking this thread to prevent confusion with the old build and the new ones.

2 Likes