Dynamic Shader - switching from perpetual to subscription model

I’m 90% sure I’m going to switch the Dynamic Shader from a perpetual to subscription payment model.  I get the sense that in the Corona marketplace, much like the app market itself, people are reluctant to put down a big investment and would be more likely to lay down a couple bucks to try a plugin for a year rather than pay $18 bucks and not be sure it’s really what they need. (Current perpetual users would get a lifetime subscription)

I’m wondering what other devs and plugin purchasers think of my assertation and what price points you think make sense for subscription plugins?  Your thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Note:

I’ve made enough to take my wife and kids out for a couple of nice dinners but a broader use and adoption of the plugin would give me more inspiration and incentive to roll up my sleeves and do the grunt work required to officially update the shader to 2.0 (firelight flickers, beam lighting, alpha passthrough to child objects - currently features I have in my private beta 2.0 edition).

I tend to agree on your perception. While I did purchase this plugin, it has served its purpose satisfactorily for me, although I have made other plug in purchases that did not. Being able to try a plugin for a much lower fee would make it much more likely that I’d give it a go. 

Coronium is a good example too, for $20 a year, its a great deal, but if devE had charged $200, while it might be a fabulous product I wouldn’t have touched it without knowing for sure it would have served its purpose. (Now I know it would have been worth it :). )

So, that said, I would expect more use somewhat from a broader base, but maybe not as much for re-subscription. If I updated my app, I would re-subscribe, or if I needed it for another one otherwise I’d let it lapse until needed. That would mean in theory you lost $10 from me (depending on your cost), BUT hopefully you got another 4 subscribers.

I’d also agree that its much more rewarding coding a new version for 50 developers than 5… Kind of makes it more worthwhile for your time.

My 2c worth, which after taxes is worth nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks @graham.  As the marketplace is now a year old (and I’m a plugin junky), I’ve had to consider which plugins I want to resubscribe to and what the value of various plugins is to me.   Coronium is one of the apps that made me rethink my model.  I will always renew my Coronium subscription and I hope that keeps Chris (devE) excited and working away at supporting the platform he created and making enough cash in return for that time.

I’m still figuring out a subscription price (I’m thinking low, like $3.99) and I hope it won’t insult my current user base who will have lifetime subscriptions.

@sporkfin, why not offer both a subscription and a perpetual version - maybe $5 and $20?  That way you appeal to both camps and you don’t upset existing purchasers.

@SGS I don’t think that is an offered with the current store layout but that is an assumption and I will inquire - thanks for bringing that up.

We can only set up an item to be one or the other. It would take two store entries. I’ve not seen the admin for the new Marketplace updates yet, so I don’t know what’s possible there, but it seems like supporting multiple sale models would be kind of tough to do.

Rob

@Rob, that was my hunch.  Maybe for Marketplace 2.0.  I’m talking with Bektur now.

I tend to agree on your perception. While I did purchase this plugin, it has served its purpose satisfactorily for me, although I have made other plug in purchases that did not. Being able to try a plugin for a much lower fee would make it much more likely that I’d give it a go. 

Coronium is a good example too, for $20 a year, its a great deal, but if devE had charged $200, while it might be a fabulous product I wouldn’t have touched it without knowing for sure it would have served its purpose. (Now I know it would have been worth it :). )

So, that said, I would expect more use somewhat from a broader base, but maybe not as much for re-subscription. If I updated my app, I would re-subscribe, or if I needed it for another one otherwise I’d let it lapse until needed. That would mean in theory you lost $10 from me (depending on your cost), BUT hopefully you got another 4 subscribers.

I’d also agree that its much more rewarding coding a new version for 50 developers than 5… Kind of makes it more worthwhile for your time.

My 2c worth, which after taxes is worth nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks @graham.  As the marketplace is now a year old (and I’m a plugin junky), I’ve had to consider which plugins I want to resubscribe to and what the value of various plugins is to me.   Coronium is one of the apps that made me rethink my model.  I will always renew my Coronium subscription and I hope that keeps Chris (devE) excited and working away at supporting the platform he created and making enough cash in return for that time.

I’m still figuring out a subscription price (I’m thinking low, like $3.99) and I hope it won’t insult my current user base who will have lifetime subscriptions.

@sporkfin, why not offer both a subscription and a perpetual version - maybe $5 and $20?  That way you appeal to both camps and you don’t upset existing purchasers.

@SGS I don’t think that is an offered with the current store layout but that is an assumption and I will inquire - thanks for bringing that up.

We can only set up an item to be one or the other. It would take two store entries. I’ve not seen the admin for the new Marketplace updates yet, so I don’t know what’s possible there, but it seems like supporting multiple sale models would be kind of tough to do.

Rob

@Rob, that was my hunch.  Maybe for Marketplace 2.0.  I’m talking with Bektur now.