ERROR ITMS-90255

I am getting the following error when transporting the Mac OS app via the new transporter app:

ERROR ITMS-90255: “The installer package includes files that are only readable by the root user. This will prevent verification of the application’s code signature when your app is run. Ensure that non-root users can read the files in your app.”

I found one thread from 2015 with the issue, but that discussion didn’t resolve my issue. (It’s also too old to reply to that thread.) 

I have tried deleting the .app and .pkg files and rebuilding.  I also tried going to the root directory of the app’s development code, selecting the everyone Read Only permission and applying it to all enclosed items which should ensure that every file and folder has at least read only permissions.  I also rebooted, deleted builds and rebuilt.

I’ve manually checked the folders to ensure they had the right permissions.  

I’m at a loss for what to try next.  I’ve saved a copy of the console log during the build process in case it is needed.

I’ve never seen this before but what it tells me is that either you’re logged in as the “root” user, or you’re running “sudo” somewhere. You can open the package folder and look through there to see if any files are owned by “root” and figure out why.

Corona doesn’t need or ever need root privs.

Rob

Keep in mind that I’m not a power user on Mac by any stretch.  I had to look up what sudo meant :slight_smile:

I’m not doing anything out of the ordinary. I have my account which is an admin account and I log in normally. I installed CoronaSDK by clicking it and dragging-dropping to the applications folder as asked by the installer.  I haven’t done anything special with the installation.

I used pkgutil to open up the .pkg file and it has two files in it. One is a distribution file and one is another .pkg file named in the com.nationsoftware.etc naming convention. This second.pkg file has read/write for me and no access for ‘Everyone’.  This would seem to be the problem. 

Perhaps I can change permissions on it manually and repackage it, but I would hate to need to do this every time I wanted to transport to the Mac store. 

One thing odd about the build process was that I got blasted with permission requests so I told the process to say yes to all of them. Not sure if it is normal to get 4+ permission requests when building the .pkg file.  (I normally get 2 requests when doing iOS builds).

I found another discussion on the Internet about the same problem and tried some of the suggestions, but I’m still getting the same error.

In terminal, I ran:

chmod -R 755 ./app_directory

followed by

find . ! -perm -g+r

The find picked up two folders but neither were in the directory structure of the app.  So the files in the app’s directory should be permissioned correctly.

I resolved this issue by using an earlier build version of Corona SDK.  I was previously using build 3573 when I was getting the error.  I used build 3519 and it was able to build the .pkg and deliver to the app store without the error. We’ll see what happens as it goes through the review process.

I had the same issue - this is a new issue introduced in the latest few builds (I was trying 3574).

Going to have to revert back to 3569 and try that…

I am getting the same error! Is there a fix for this or a workaround?

The _CodeSignature folder has permission setting of 700 which is owner only. This maybe the issue.

ERROR ITMS-90255: “The installer package includes files that are only readable by the root user. This will prevent verification of the application’s code signature when your app is run. Ensure that non-root users can read the files in your app.”

Same error here using build 3575.

@borderleap - did using build 3569 work? Since corona only fixed the notarization between 3573-3575 did you get any errors about that? using the older build?

Hey there - I’ve been using build 3569 and it’s been working so far for all platforms - iOS, tvOS and macOS.

@borderleap, cheers will give 3569 a go for the MACOS version (uploaded using 3569 no probs, thanks for the heads up!)

As for IOS. built with 2020.3575 uploaded, submitted, and approved no probs.

So definitely just some MACOS only issue for the >2020.3573 I suppose.

not sure if this is same issue you are having, but maybe related in some way.

On my Mac, if I build for a ‘macOS’ version of my game, it builds successfully; but when I try to run that desktop version of my game it crashes and fails to run.  This is when using SDK versions 3574 or higher.

But if build for ‘macOS’. SDK 3567 or 3569  it does fine.

So 3574 and above has some bug. I cannot recall if I tired 3573, so not sure if that version fails.

So for me to get a macOS desktop version built for now I will have to use 3569

Mine ran perfectly fine with 3573. I tested most of the parts of the app. It’s a random dungeon generator for d&d, so it is light on animation and heavy on database calls. 

Obviously, something slipped in to cause some problems. But I think compiling with a slightly older version is going to be fine for most people. Not sure how the recent news about the SDK will affect the MacOS builds. Be nice to get this bug fixed but I think it’s the type of bug that is often hard to pinpoint.

Same issues with our macOS builds using the latest daily build and the daily builds from 1-2 versions back. Any chance that this will be fixed before the May 2020 transitions?

We would need more information than that. Our Slack community discussed similar issue. Problem it seems was with latest macOS update, 10.15.4 and notarization

You can also try disabling sandboxing…

macos = {
entitlements = {
[“com.apple.security.app-sandbox”] = false,
},
},

There was an issue with macOS apps when no profile is selected. It is fixed in 2020.3580

Thanks… I can confirm that the latest daily build has fixed this.

Vlad,

Thanks for addressing the MacOS build issue.  My game now builds and runs with the. .3580

Still having problem with 3580 regarding signing:

With Provisioning Profile for Mac App Store selected,

“Send to Mac App Store…” selected,

both Application and Installer code signing identities selected,

and checked “Send to Mac App Store”,

the saved .app crashes upon launch (macOS 10.15.4) as before.

The problem is the saved .pkg (ready to be submitted from Transporter) is all good itself (signed and not crashing), but the installed app (from the .pkg) crashes because it is not notarized.

Using RB App Checker, the installed .app shows:

There were also many times the build process failed because it could not write to the temporary file.

Dave

I am getting the same error! Is there a fix for this or a workaround?

The _CodeSignature folder has permission setting of 700 which is owner only. This maybe the issue.

Same error here using build 3575.

@borderleap - did using build 3569 work? Since corona only fixed the notarization between 3573-3575 did you get any errors about that? using the older build?