Facebook Login Default Permissions

Hi guys,

When i call facebook.login without any permission, it is also asking for ‘friend list’. See screen shot. Why is that so ?

I know ‘public_profile’ is the default (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/permissions/v2.4#reference).

facebook.login( facebookListener )

Hi yosu, The Facebook-v4 plugin requests both “public_profile” and “user_friends” by default to behave similarly to Graph v1.0 Facebook app. v1.0 of Facebook’s Graph API had “basic_info” as the default permission. With Graph 2.0, “basic_info” was split into “public_profile” and “user_friends”.

Thanks Ajay. May I know how do I only request for ‘public_profile’ using facebook-v4 ?

I tried it with ‘extendedPermissions = { “public_profile” }’, but it still request for the ‘friend list’.

Hi yosu,

Facebook-v4 currently doesn’t provide a way to only request “public_profile” permission. It will automatically inject “public_profile” and “user_friends” when calling facebook.login().

In your case, why do you not want the “user_friends” permission?

Hi Ajay,

If I request for ‘user_friends’ permission, my client/users will ask for the reason. I would like to try avoid any unnecessary permission request.

Thanks

Hi yosu, The Facebook-v4 plugin requests both “public_profile” and “user_friends” by default to behave similarly to Graph v1.0 Facebook app. v1.0 of Facebook’s Graph API had “basic_info” as the default permission. With Graph 2.0, “basic_info” was split into “public_profile” and “user_friends”.

Thanks Ajay. May I know how do I only request for ‘public_profile’ using facebook-v4 ?

I tried it with ‘extendedPermissions = { “public_profile” }’, but it still request for the ‘friend list’.

Hi yosu,

Facebook-v4 currently doesn’t provide a way to only request “public_profile” permission. It will automatically inject “public_profile” and “user_friends” when calling facebook.login().

In your case, why do you not want the “user_friends” permission?

Hi Ajay,

If I request for ‘user_friends’ permission, my client/users will ask for the reason. I would like to try avoid any unnecessary permission request.

Thanks