Facebook v4 supported Features and Maturity

Hi,

We are working on a Game where Facebook is a core feature, 

besides to the trivial FB services, we are looking to the following:

are these features supported in the current plugin?

references and examples would help.

As we have Enterprise License, is there chance to share plugin sources, so we made fixes and additions as needed?

Finally, I would like to know if there is ongoing work on this plugin?

Thank you,

Hi tony leung,

Sending/receiving requests for Help/Gifts is currently supported in Facebook-v4 via the Game Requests dialog. See the actionType argument.

The new App Invite method is not currently supported, but there is a significant demand for it, and it’s high on our priority list for Facebook-v4 features. However, if you app is classified as a game, you can still use the Game Requests dialog for inviting friends to your game. See the filter argument and this example.

Lately, work on the Facebook-v4 plugin has been on/off. Most of engineering’s focus lately has been on supporting new platforms (OS X, tvOS, Windows), or handling breaking changes in newer versions of currently supported platforms (Android 6).

Recently, we’ve been changing how the Facebook SDK integrates into the Facebook plugin. If you’ve seen the Enterprise Setup for Facebook-v4, you’ll notice that the Android side requires a custom Facebook SDK. Things like this are reasons why we don’t have Facebook-v4 open sourced. It’s certainly possible that we’ll open source the Facebook-v4 plugin in the future, but no discussions about doing that have occurred yet.

Thank Ajay for your comprehensive reply as always you do. This support level encourages me to jump in :slight_smile:

just more few question to be more confident:

• so no risk in this phase to go in production with FB-v4? and in case [critical] bug was found is it guaranteed to have the fix from Corona in few days?

• Is it possible, side to current plugin, to develop some of the FB functionality alone in Enterprise? looks risky, but do you think particularly for the Invite is it possible? [to make it clear, I mean to use FB plugin in most functionality but for some, for example the invite, I will develop separate plugin using the Enterprise with your Version of FB SDK]

• “65k method limit in dex”, I am sure after integration of FB SDK, we will be hit by this issue, as we already very close to the limit, is there  any handling/plan to handle in Corona Builds? for example support multiple dex files or anything?

Thank you for your marvelous support.

Thanks for your kind words.

Assuming that your use of the Facebook-v4 plugin doesn’t stray too far from the functionality provided in our Facebook sample, you should be ok to use it in production. The things you asked about initially were added to the plugin more recently, so they haven’t been exercised as much as things like login, graph API requests, and the Share dialog.

Should critical issues be found along the way, they’ll be prioritized as high as it makes sense at the time. It really depends on what we’re currently working on, but this is the case with all bugs. Usually if something is totally busted and everyone needs it right now, then it’s safe to assume it’ll be the highest (if not close to the highest) on our priority list.

You’re definitely welcome to implement Facebook App Invites yourself with Enterprise. Should that process move along smoothly, we can talk about integrating your App Invite implementation into Facebook-v4 directly, as I’m sure the community would appreciate that feature sooner rather than later.

Supporting multi-dex in Corona SDK builds has also been an on/off process. It’s in the queue of Android tasks and it’s at least been started. But as I mentioned before, Android 6 has been the main focus for the Android platform.

Since you’re using Enterprise, there are a few forum threads about customers doing multi-dex that may be worth investigating.

@Corona Team

Any progress on the new Facebook invites?

Thanks!

Hi tony leung,

Sending/receiving requests for Help/Gifts is currently supported in Facebook-v4 via the Game Requests dialog. See the actionType argument.

The new App Invite method is not currently supported, but there is a significant demand for it, and it’s high on our priority list for Facebook-v4 features. However, if you app is classified as a game, you can still use the Game Requests dialog for inviting friends to your game. See the filter argument and this example.

Lately, work on the Facebook-v4 plugin has been on/off. Most of engineering’s focus lately has been on supporting new platforms (OS X, tvOS, Windows), or handling breaking changes in newer versions of currently supported platforms (Android 6).

Recently, we’ve been changing how the Facebook SDK integrates into the Facebook plugin. If you’ve seen the Enterprise Setup for Facebook-v4, you’ll notice that the Android side requires a custom Facebook SDK. Things like this are reasons why we don’t have Facebook-v4 open sourced. It’s certainly possible that we’ll open source the Facebook-v4 plugin in the future, but no discussions about doing that have occurred yet.

Thank Ajay for your comprehensive reply as always you do. This support level encourages me to jump in :slight_smile:

just more few question to be more confident:

• so no risk in this phase to go in production with FB-v4? and in case [critical] bug was found is it guaranteed to have the fix from Corona in few days?

• Is it possible, side to current plugin, to develop some of the FB functionality alone in Enterprise? looks risky, but do you think particularly for the Invite is it possible? [to make it clear, I mean to use FB plugin in most functionality but for some, for example the invite, I will develop separate plugin using the Enterprise with your Version of FB SDK]

• “65k method limit in dex”, I am sure after integration of FB SDK, we will be hit by this issue, as we already very close to the limit, is there  any handling/plan to handle in Corona Builds? for example support multiple dex files or anything?

Thank you for your marvelous support.

Thanks for your kind words.

Assuming that your use of the Facebook-v4 plugin doesn’t stray too far from the functionality provided in our Facebook sample, you should be ok to use it in production. The things you asked about initially were added to the plugin more recently, so they haven’t been exercised as much as things like login, graph API requests, and the Share dialog.

Should critical issues be found along the way, they’ll be prioritized as high as it makes sense at the time. It really depends on what we’re currently working on, but this is the case with all bugs. Usually if something is totally busted and everyone needs it right now, then it’s safe to assume it’ll be the highest (if not close to the highest) on our priority list.

You’re definitely welcome to implement Facebook App Invites yourself with Enterprise. Should that process move along smoothly, we can talk about integrating your App Invite implementation into Facebook-v4 directly, as I’m sure the community would appreciate that feature sooner rather than later.

Supporting multi-dex in Corona SDK builds has also been an on/off process. It’s in the queue of Android tasks and it’s at least been started. But as I mentioned before, Android 6 has been the main focus for the Android platform.

Since you’re using Enterprise, there are a few forum threads about customers doing multi-dex that may be worth investigating.

@Corona Team

Any progress on the new Facebook invites?

Thanks!