FacebookAudienceNetwork (Free) Crashes Without Internet

I recently switched from fbAudienceNetwork.paid to the unpaid version because I wanted to be able to take advantage of Rewarded Videos, which work in the the free version but not in the paid version.

After I updated my app, I began getting complaints of runtime errors on launch. Specifically:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method ‘int java.lang.Integer.intValue()’ on a null object reference

I was stymied until one player happened to mention that she was only getting the error when she was in airplane mode. After that, I was able to reproduce the error 100% of the time on all device types. (iOS, Google Play and Amazon) Furthermore, rebuilding the app with plugin.fbAudienceNetwork.paid made the problem go away.

I was able to work around the problem by checking for an internet connection before initializing FAN. I used this code snippet, which seem to work fine. (Gotcha: system.getInfo(“platformName”) has been deprecated, so you’ll have to replace it with system.getInfo(“platform”) and adjust the return values to match.)

Has anyone else run into this problem?