Forcing a touch event for a 'mouse' cursor?

Hey David, awesome to see that you’re having a go at Ouya, we’ll be following the progress to see how well point’n’clickers can do on that and similar platforms, we’d love to bring our games over to those sorts of things.

I think the closest we got to a solution was to have a cursor moving around via the joypad and then when you pressed the “click” button our engine would work out what objects are within the same area and then fire the onPress events for those elements. Naturally this only worked with AABBs so was fairly limited. Due to the way our engine was set up this was fairly trivial.

For it to work well we’d need it to work for rotated hotspots, circles, triangles, or any other shape really. Still, it seems a fairly over the top and silly solution to just being able to fire touch events whenever we wanted.

It would be great to be able to have this ability native in Corona and I’m sure that other developers would find it useful, even if just for automated tests etc in the simulator.

I’ve just preordered an Amazon Fire TV for when it’s out in the UK ( end of october ) and I’m hoping to get back into working on that sort of device for our Serenity engine.

@Glitch Games: Thanks for the info! I’m going to have to take some time to think about this one. Ideally it would behave like the simulator: your cursor initiates touch events. Hm. Like I said, going to have to think about it for awhile. :slight_smile:

I wonder how easy it would be for CL to implement that functionality natively. Would certainly be helpful and I’m assuming that the simulator already does something very similar so can’t be too tricky.

I also remember that for Ouya, at least when we were looking into it, might have changed now, you had to make sure menus etc worked via the dpad as well as the cursor.