From The Blog: Corona’s updated roadmap

Corona Labs has updated the 2018 roadmap for Corona. You can view it here!

View the roadmap

.btn_cta { border-color: #ff6300; background-color: #ff6300; color: #fff !important; padding:15px;}

We have added a section to include completed items and those that are currently in an open beta test which should be complete soon. We’ve juggled a few items around and also marked items as started that are currently in progress.

View the full article

• Improve Live Builds by adding console logging

Can this also include making it work with the Gamesparks plugin? I boy can dream.

It works for me. I am using the open source version of the gamesparks plugin, but didn’t do any changes to it to have it working with live builds.

Yes the open source works. The plug-in version does not (last time I checked). Every time it deflates a file it restarts the app.

@agramonte, I have a couple of requests for you.

1. Can you create a new thread for this. If we continue to discuss this, it will be hijacking this thread.

2. Can you produce a simple demo project that causes this issue? I’d love to get our engineers to look at this, but it would be considerably more difficult for them to have to guess at what you’re doing and build a GameSparks project when the plugin isn’t one we create or maintain.

3. Have you looked at “adb logcat” to see if there are messages generated around the restart that might be useful? I’m assuming this is an Android issue, if not then Xcode’s Devices option should give you the ability to see the device’s console log.

Thanks

Rob

Yes sir.

Text rendering plugin *Started*

Is this about HTML style text on the feedback page?

http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/6265139-manipulate-text-size-style-font-and-color-like

I am curious about this too

or this? -> https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/72693-text-rendering-plugin-including-meshes-triangulation-etc-wip/

I would really love to know about that plugin.

Would also like to know about the text rendering plugin. Hoping it’s like the HTML style text where we can change the colour, size etc. of certain words without altering the entire display.newText object. Would be SUPER useful to highlight key words and important info to the player.

@bgmadclown As I said briefly in that topic, I’m also hoping for word on Corona’s text renderer.

I mentioned that ideally the two won’t conflict but rather benefit one another. For instance, assuming it is indeed something like display.newText with an embedded markup language, the library could provide a function that would parse some text without drawing it and give us back an AST (ostensibly agreeing with what it uses internally for rendering) so we could apply it to our own needs.

Back to the roadmap itself, I would also be  VERY interested in any details about the “Open Source efforts” listed in Q4.

I am weighting for AdMob revenue-sharing plugin for more than an year… :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

I’m also interested in some of the Q4 targets like open source and offline builds but I’m more interested in the bird at hand, the ones they started working on.

I would also love to see a *Started* sign next to Nintendo Switch :slight_smile:

That’s a great list of items, certainly exciting times for Corona!

I would still suggest a way to load and render(bake)  3d obj files as 2d objects.  That would give us so much flexibility in our games without having to go 3d!

Greg

@greg brady I’m hoping to get back soon to the plugin mentioned in the previous roadmap thread, maybe in a couple weeks.

A few things need finishing finish first, mentioned at bgmadclown’s link. I’m basically at the “make decent samples” stage for

all of them.

Some rather rough docs here. I’m thinking about a little revamp along the following lines:

• Separation into “scenes” (camera, color and z buffers, etc.) and “objects” (faces, textures, etc.)

• Being able to instantiate and destroy them

• Cloning objects and / or some concept of a “model”

• Per-object transforms

• Make the memory blob optional (this was mostly for some multithreading support I plan)

• Allow rendering X number of pixels at a time (or maybe specific regions, for a little more generality)

• Save-to-PNG / JPEG

• Better name!

I also have quite a few follow-up ideas!

Anything you can share with us regarding the “Text rendering plugin” @Rob?

The intent is to have a way to do some simple markup. 

Rob

Thank you for the information. That’s nice to hear. Hopefully, it’ll cover most of the HTML styling. Worth the wait :slight_smile:

Investigate Linux builds

I know that many many people have asked for this and I do think this is a nice to have feature, but let’s be honest, there isn’t much money, if any, to be made by creating games for Linux. The draw to Linux is it’s $0 price tag for the OS and many thousands of apps and games available for it, many of which are open source. If a person really wants to make a game for Linux, they can use one of over a hundred free game engines that already exist for Linux or they can create an HTML game using Corona and then wrap it into a Linux executable using something like Electron. I think that from a business perspective, for both Corona/Appodeal and it’s users, it would be far more valuable to pursue major consoles, specifically the Switch, XBOX, and PlayStation. Our company has a couple more games in the pipeline that are aimed at mobile only and we are using Corona for that, because Corona is awesome. But we also want to publish a platformer type game. The kind of game we have in mind will be best for consoles/TV and desktop. If we stick with Corona for that, we will be limited to Steam, Android TV, and Apple TV, and maybe Switch if that happens. But if we want to publish to PS or XBOX (and be guaranteed to be able to publish to Switch) we will be forced to use a different game engine. I understand that Corona’s dev resources are limited so I am not suggesting that Corona pursues any of the consoles, but if they are going to add another platform to the mix, please don’t make it Linux.

I agree redninjacat,  console builds are way more important than a zero pay market such as Linux!