How can I send silent notifications

Hi,

I just started using onesignal and it fucking rocks! 

I have just one question regarding silent notifications, and it is just that I am not being able to find this feature at all.
So now I’m wondering if it is possible to send notifications that don’t trigger a sound and visual to the user?
I am just using Android for now.

Hello,

It is possible to have Background Data (Silent Notifications) on Android with OneSignal by following the documentation in the link however since this requires native Java code you will need to have Corona Enterprise to use it.

On iOS you can use content-available to do the but this also requires native code and Corona Enterprise to use as well. The exception being that can you still update the badge count silently without native code.

Let us know what your use case is for completely silent notifications. We can consider adding it to a future update.

Thanks.

And what if I am not using corona at all? I integrated oneSignal in my native android app and followed the documentation. The main issue is that I cannot follow this:

“NOTE: If you don’t want OneSignal to display a notification along side the background event you will need to omit sending a message body (contents) from your message.”

because the message (content) field is required…

I would like to trigger an action in my app and control the notifications myself.

You also need to include android_background_data: true to both lift the requirement of contents and for the action to fire in Android.

Also let us know what kind of customization you need to make to your own notifications that OneSignal does not support. We can consider adding it as a feature in a future release.

Hello,

It is possible to have Background Data (Silent Notifications) on Android with OneSignal by following the documentation in the link however since this requires native Java code you will need to have Corona Enterprise to use it.

On iOS you can use content-available to do the but this also requires native code and Corona Enterprise to use as well. The exception being that can you still update the badge count silently without native code.

Let us know what your use case is for completely silent notifications. We can consider adding it to a future update.

Thanks.

And what if I am not using corona at all? I integrated oneSignal in my native android app and followed the documentation. The main issue is that I cannot follow this:

“NOTE: If you don’t want OneSignal to display a notification along side the background event you will need to omit sending a message body (contents) from your message.”

because the message (content) field is required…

I would like to trigger an action in my app and control the notifications myself.

You also need to include android_background_data: true to both lift the requirement of contents and for the action to fire in Android.

Also let us know what kind of customization you need to make to your own notifications that OneSignal does not support. We can consider adding it as a feature in a future release.