How to create an asset for the marketplace

Hey All,

I want to create an asset for the marketplace similar to the assets by Playmint (https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/asset/match-3-donuts). Are these sprite sheets? Are they just transparent png files? They seem to be arranged on a grid. Is there a guide anywhere that shows how to do it step by step? Just getting started with Corona and I figured I might as well take the assets I create for my game and put them in the store for free or $1.

They will be transparent pngs arranged on a large png using a grid layout.  This is easy to do in Photoshop.

Just a few things. The minimum price on an asset is $1.50

Secondly each artist provides different assets. Sometimes they are separate transparent PNG files and the artist expects the developer to either make an imageSheet from them or use them as individual objects. Of course for efficiency purposes imageSheets do save memory and loading time. But the programmer may find it easier to use them as separate images and if you just provide them a sheet, they may have to cut them out and make individual files from it.

Of course, you could provide both as a convenience!

Rob

Are multiple sizes also provided? Are there any standards as far as multiple sizes go for different screen resolutions?

We don’t have any fixed rules, just use common sense.   Things like:

16x16 tiles are not very practical for running on a Retina iPad or a 1080p monitor. I would think 32x32 for a 320x480 screen at a minimum the tiles would be 128x128 so developers could support higher res screen.

Staying with power of two sizes are a great standard (32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048…)

Keep in mind scaling images up makes them softer looking while scaling down maintains sharpness, so give the developer bigger images they can work with.

2048x2048 is generally the max texture size for many mobile devices.

Keep things flexible for the developer.

Rob

I would definitely work on HD resolution @1920x1020px.  Developers want large assets they can downgrade to fit their game (not the other way around).

If providing atlases of multiple images with different sizes then do provide a Lua definition file if possible.  This saves a lot of developer work and makes your assets more sell able.

I advise looking at the output from Texture Packer to see what is required.

They will be transparent pngs arranged on a large png using a grid layout.  This is easy to do in Photoshop.

Just a few things. The minimum price on an asset is $1.50

Secondly each artist provides different assets. Sometimes they are separate transparent PNG files and the artist expects the developer to either make an imageSheet from them or use them as individual objects. Of course for efficiency purposes imageSheets do save memory and loading time. But the programmer may find it easier to use them as separate images and if you just provide them a sheet, they may have to cut them out and make individual files from it.

Of course, you could provide both as a convenience!

Rob

Are multiple sizes also provided? Are there any standards as far as multiple sizes go for different screen resolutions?

We don’t have any fixed rules, just use common sense.   Things like:

16x16 tiles are not very practical for running on a Retina iPad or a 1080p monitor. I would think 32x32 for a 320x480 screen at a minimum the tiles would be 128x128 so developers could support higher res screen.

Staying with power of two sizes are a great standard (32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048…)

Keep in mind scaling images up makes them softer looking while scaling down maintains sharpness, so give the developer bigger images they can work with.

2048x2048 is generally the max texture size for many mobile devices.

Keep things flexible for the developer.

Rob

I would definitely work on HD resolution @1920x1020px.  Developers want large assets they can downgrade to fit their game (not the other way around).

If providing atlases of multiple images with different sizes then do provide a Lua definition file if possible.  This saves a lot of developer work and makes your assets more sell able.

I advise looking at the output from Texture Packer to see what is required.