Is turn-based multiplayer supported ?

Question from Damir from blog post…

Is turn-based multiplayer supported ?

In short: You can build turn based games. But there are limitations if you need persistence/asynchronous features …

The basic flow is

1. connect to the Photon Cloud (US, EU; Asia, Japan)

2. optional: authenticate with facebook or your own backend

3. matchmaking , e.g. join a random room

4. in the room: exchange data

5. after the last player left the room, the room is cleaned up >> continue with (3)

Anything that fits into that pattern will work: realtime and turnbased games.

But there are limitations :

i) you can’t run authorative logic (on the server side)

ii) you can’t persist data (on the server side)

iii) you can’t resurrect a save game (on the server side)

We are working since a while on new features that will solve the limitations

• Event forwarding: This will allow skill/ELO based matchmaking, reading and saving skills

• Load/save games: Persist gamestate, rejoin games, resurrect games

• Server side game logic

These features will roll out in in the next months to allow full fidelity in turn based games.

Chris

Can’t wait - is there anywhere I can subscribe to so I can be notified when these features are available??

Thanks! :slight_smile:

In short: You can build turn based games. But there are limitations if you need persistence/asynchronous features …

The basic flow is

1. connect to the Photon Cloud (US, EU; Asia, Japan)

2. optional: authenticate with facebook or your own backend

3. matchmaking , e.g. join a random room

4. in the room: exchange data

5. after the last player left the room, the room is cleaned up >> continue with (3)

Anything that fits into that pattern will work: realtime and turnbased games.

But there are limitations :

i) you can’t run authorative logic (on the server side)

ii) you can’t persist data (on the server side)

iii) you can’t resurrect a save game (on the server side)

We are working since a while on new features that will solve the limitations

• Event forwarding: This will allow skill/ELO based matchmaking, reading and saving skills

• Load/save games: Persist gamestate, rejoin games, resurrect games

• Server side game logic

These features will roll out in in the next months to allow full fidelity in turn based games.

Chris

Can’t wait - is there anywhere I can subscribe to so I can be notified when these features are available??

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello, sorry I think this has been answered, but it slightly unclear: is there currently no way to use Photon Server with the Corona Plugin for Photon Cloud?

While Photon Cloud is certainly ingenious, it is brain-melting to try to think about making a game people could take seriously in terms of competitiveness (and therefore be F2P) without authoritative game logic on server.

Thank you, your product looks great so far.

Yes, sure. You can just run a local Photon Server and connect to it with your local IP.

(We will soon allow authoritative logic on the server BTW.)

Chris

Chris - its been a few months since you posted the above… any update?

We are close getting early access - ETA is early January.

Can you say anything about pricing?

Pricing is not finalized, but We plan to price on CCU (Concurrent Users).

20CCU will be free and higher CCUs will be cheaper than our Realtime product.

Sounds great, hope you plan to keep your indie price plan for turn based as well.

What if we want to get started with Photon Cloud Real-time and switch to Photon Cloud Turn-based when it’s available? Is the API the same? Also, how would that affect the accounts we’ve signed up for, and products we’ve purchased. Can we switch horses mid-stream? Thanks for your help!

Its a similar API, but turnbased will extend the existing API, e.g.

• option to rejoin games

• web hooks for server side logic

FYI: We plan to start early access next week.

You can cancel a subscription anytime and create a new one.

Excellent! Can you provide any further details about the upcoming “early access”? Will that be available for everyone? My app is more suited for turn-based play and I’m looking to dive into multiplayer ASAP. Thanks for your help!

I just want to say I’ll be keeping an eye on PhotonCLoud! I played FALLING WORDS by RT GAMING and Multiplayer is working very well, thnx to Photon CLoud. so I think I’ll use it as well. 

Photon Rox!

I will post the details here - early access is not planned to be restricted.

Hello, sorry I think this has been answered, but it slightly unclear: is there currently no way to use Photon Server with the Corona Plugin for Photon Cloud?

While Photon Cloud is certainly ingenious, it is brain-melting to try to think about making a game people could take seriously in terms of competitiveness (and therefore be F2P) without authoritative game logic on server.

Thank you, your product looks great so far.

Yes, sure. You can just run a local Photon Server and connect to it with your local IP.

(We will soon allow authoritative logic on the server BTW.)

Chris

@ThePhotons Any updates regarding the release of your turn-based service?