isLoaded not working, and ads don't seem to load after viewing

We are using rewarded videos in our newest app, and use a block of code to check if ads are loaded.  We prefer rewarded, then try interstitial, and if nothing then shows an error to try later.  Here’s what it looks like:

if ( appodeal.isLoaded( "rewardedVideo" ) ) then appodeal.show( "rewardedVideo" ) -- show ad elseif ( appodeal.isLoaded( "interstitial" ) ) then appodeal.show( "interstitial" ) -- show ad else showAdError() -- ad was not loaded, so show error end 

The problem is, isLoaded is always true even when an ad isn’t ready and the user never gets shown an ad.

Second issue is the first time we try to show an ad it usually works great, but we can never show a 2nd ad even 10-15 minutes later.  It’s like a second ad never gets loaded.  We are letting appodeal load ads automatically per the documentation, we don’t override that can do our own load() calls.

Any ideas on these 2 somewhat related issues?

Do you see the same behavior when setting testMode=true during init, or is this only happening with live ads?

Also which Corona build are you using?

With testMode=true we never had a problem, the ads always loaded correctly.

Build is 3068, the latest public release I believe.

Also was just testing and tried to show an ad, the isLoaded function returned true but nothing showed. Then 2 minutes later in the middle of my game an ad popped up randomly. Would be infuriated as a normal user. Why is the isLoaded function not working?

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issues you are seeing. Are you seeing this happen on iOS, Android or both?

The plugin relies on the Appodeal SDK to determine if there are ads loaded or not, and this is the first time I’ve heard that it doesn’t work as expected.

Also, before your app goes live it’s recommended that you contact Appodeal and tell them about your app so they can prime their mediation system and register it with their various mediation partners. It’s not entirely necessary, however not doing so will result in very few live ads being loaded and shown in the beginning as it will take time for the mediation system to learn about your app. Especially if your app has < 10k impressions per day ( which is the recommended minimum number of impressions per day for Appodeal mediation to function at an optimal level).

Yes, occurs on both Android and iOS.  I’ll reach out to Appodeal about our app, but very disappointed that a basic function such as isLoaded doesn’t work correctly.  Hard to program a user friendly app without it.

I agree. isLoaded() is a vital API.

I’ll investigate further to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Was there any update on this?  Our app is going live next Monday.

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the issues you are seeing, and we have no similar reports from other developers using the Appodeal plugin either.

Without being able to reproduce the issue it’s difficult to find out what the reason for this may be. Our test apps use the same kind of logic as you posted above, and they work as expected with both test- and live ads.

Do you see the same behavior when setting testMode=true during init, or is this only happening with live ads?

Also which Corona build are you using?

With testMode=true we never had a problem, the ads always loaded correctly.

Build is 3068, the latest public release I believe.

Also was just testing and tried to show an ad, the isLoaded function returned true but nothing showed. Then 2 minutes later in the middle of my game an ad popped up randomly. Would be infuriated as a normal user. Why is the isLoaded function not working?

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issues you are seeing. Are you seeing this happen on iOS, Android or both?

The plugin relies on the Appodeal SDK to determine if there are ads loaded or not, and this is the first time I’ve heard that it doesn’t work as expected.

Also, before your app goes live it’s recommended that you contact Appodeal and tell them about your app so they can prime their mediation system and register it with their various mediation partners. It’s not entirely necessary, however not doing so will result in very few live ads being loaded and shown in the beginning as it will take time for the mediation system to learn about your app. Especially if your app has < 10k impressions per day ( which is the recommended minimum number of impressions per day for Appodeal mediation to function at an optimal level).

Yes, occurs on both Android and iOS.  I’ll reach out to Appodeal about our app, but very disappointed that a basic function such as isLoaded doesn’t work correctly.  Hard to program a user friendly app without it.

I agree. isLoaded() is a vital API.

I’ll investigate further to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Was there any update on this?  Our app is going live next Monday.

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the issues you are seeing, and we have no similar reports from other developers using the Appodeal plugin either.

Without being able to reproduce the issue it’s difficult to find out what the reason for this may be. Our test apps use the same kind of logic as you posted above, and they work as expected with both test- and live ads.