July 22 Facebook Version Deadline for Corona SDK v4a plugin

I received this message within my Facebook developer Inbox:

VERSION DEPRECATED

Your App, myAppName, is currently accessing Graph API v2.9 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 22 July, 2019. We estimate 1 endpoint that myAppName calls will be impacted by this change and may stop working after the automatic upgrade push. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.10 or higher. Use the API Upgrade Tool to understand exactly how this change will impact your app.

Note: If you do not see any impacted calls in the API Upgrade Tool, your app/code may not be affected by this upgrade.

Visit our changelog to see the full list of changes in all Graph API versions.

Any thoughts?

Facebook makes everyone’s lives difficult. They don’t have an eash comparison around which Graph API their different binary iOS or Android SDK version are using. About the only thing I can go on is dates. It appears that we are using 4.38 of the binary SDK’s though I see a commit possibly rolling back to 4.33 (or 4.37, it’s not clear).  4.38 has a date on it of Oct, 23, 2018. 4.33 has a date of May 1, 2018. I can see from the iOS change log that 4.33 is using Graph API 3.0 and that 4.35 is using 3.1. There are no additional Graph API mentions through 4.38, so at a minimum we are using an SDK version that’s 3.0 or higher.  The Android changelog confirms the same information.

I dug through the code and I don’t see where we are making specific Graph API calls, just calls to the binary SDK calls. 

Does the email hint at what call might still be making 2.9 requests?

Rob

Just means you’ve got a player on an old version. Move on :slight_smile:

@Rob, thank you for your work on this. I will use it to respond to Facebook.

@SGS, I was thinking the same thing. We have no way of disabling an old version, so hopefully they will just leave well-enough alone.

I will keep this forum post updated with any related info.

I’m now getting emails from Facebook about v2.10 as follows. Any thoughts?

v2.10 Upgrade Reminder
Your App, Play The Bible, currently has access to Graph API v2.10 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 05 November, 2019. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.11 or higher. Use the API Upgrade Tool to understand exactly how this change will impact your app.

Note: If you do not see any impacted calls in the API Upgrade Tool, your app/code may not be affected by this upgrade.

Visit our changelog to see the full list of changes in all Graph API versions.

You can view this and other Developer Notifications related to your app, in the App Dashboard.

I just reread this thread and see that you believe the plugin is using v3, which is newer than v2.10 - well something is wrong, and it seems to be timing related that prevents FB from allowing a login to be successful consistently. See other post about FB failed logins

Troy, it’s very likely that someone may have an old version of your app that’s using an older SDK. Or I have a test app that I use to test the plugin. No one else on the planet has it. I get these messages too even though no one is accessing the API (since I don’t test against it often). It could be FB’s detection system is a bit broken.

Rob

We have updated just about everything that touches FAN and Facebook. 

FB changed to have a central core library that both FAN and Facebook both use. So this starts a whole new dependency setup for FB. Since Appodeal (both iOS and Android) use FAN, it was also being impacted. Then FB decided to include a library that conflicted with the Zip plugin.

Anyway, it should all be straightened out with bright new shiny plugins for all of them. See: 

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/75884-fan-plugin-sdk-too-old/#entry404460

to get the version numbers and everything that changed.

Rob

@Rob, can you confirm that you have changed or updated FB v4a plugin, too? Or only the FAN plugin?

We updated the Facebook v4a plugin to FB SDK 5.9 three days ago, but apparently FB had some pretty bad bugs with that SDK. The plugin was updated to 5.11.2 yesterday.