Lot of crashes in a recent live build-- seems GoogleAnalytics related-- anyone else have this?

One of our builds were recently cleared by Google and is live on the Play Store. There have been a lot of crashes that point to something in the Google Analytics plugin. The developer console diagnostics highlighted this as a new problem in the most recent build.

The stacktrace is below and I was wondering if there’s something that’s changed recently in this plugin because we have not changed anything in our code. Anyone else also experiencing this?

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 
  at android.app.PendingIntent.checkFlags (PendingIntent.java:382)
  at android.app.PendingIntent.getBroadcastAsUser (PendingIntent.java:673)
  at android.app.PendingIntent.getBroadcast (PendingIntent.java:660)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzbv.zzfe (Unknown Source:52)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzbv.cancel (Unknown Source:54)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzbv.zzaw (Unknown Source:4)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzan.zzag (Unknown Source:7)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzap.<init> (Unknown Source:67)
  at com.google.android.gms.internal.gtm.zzap.zzc (Unknown Source:82)
  at com.google.android.gms.analytics.GoogleAnalytics.getInstance (Unknown Source:15)
  at plugin.googleAnalytics.CoronaGoogleAnalytics.get (CoronaGoogleAnalytics.java:105)
  at plugin.googleAnalytics.CoronaGoogleAnalytics.init (CoronaGoogleAnalytics.java:51)
  at plugin.googleAnalytics.LuaLoader$1.run (LuaLoader.java:88)
  at android.os.Handler.handleCallback (Handler.java:938)
  at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage (Handler.java:99)
  at android.os.Looper.loopOnce (Looper.java:226)
  at android.os.Looper.loop (Looper.java:313)
  at android.app.ActivityThread.main (ActivityThread.java:8669)
  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Native Method)
  at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run (RuntimeInit.java:571)
  at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:1135)

Is this with “plugin.googleAnalytics.v2” or legacy “plugin.googleAnalytics”

Legacy plugin

Update- seems to be on a large number of samsung devices but that could be a simple of case of many users being on samsung. Unfortunately many users are now already dropping their rating to 1* because the app is not launching at all

Just checking if this is being looked at or is scheduled for a fix? I’m not sure if other developers are facing this but we are losing a lot of users and ranking because of this. Is there anything you can recommend that we might try?

Will try to look at, trying to get my hands on the Original Source code

1 Like

I just manage to find the old source code, I will try to this on a Samsung phone I have around, tomorrow (cannot promise a fix if cannot reproduce though)

Ok thanks. We had reverted any possible changes from our recent update that we felt could have triggered this issue and then released a new build but we’re still seeing a lot of crashes being reported with this plugin. Will look forward to any updates from you on this

I just pushed an update (to shared google analytics lib) which may help build targeting 31+ (i.e newer solar2D builds) based on some research. I could not reproduce with the devices or sample code I had. If you have any instruction for me to reproduce the error, that would help greatly.

Thanks. I’ll push an update to beta testing and check. Unfortunately I’ve also not been able to reproduce this issue on the couple of android devices that i have but we’ve now crossed 1000 unique users who are affected by this. Most seem to be on samsung but it could just be that samsung sells the most android devices in the US which is where our users are.

There are some crashes on other manufacturers’ devices too.

All I know at this point is that the app crashes at launch. We haven’t really changed anything in the build settings in some time- the update where this was first noticed simply included some new levels and was the first one on the latest solar2d build

Just to update that the legacy Google Analytics is still crashing on Android 12+

Tried the new GA plugin that uses firebase and while it records user activity in realtime and other demographic data, the syntax in the API docs for logging events seems to not work.

Same error on my side plus have google play marking my app as harmful. I’m using firebase and google analytics old versions. Waiting on some other bits before rebuild with latest solar2d for 32 api hoping it helps