More new Qiso features

Last week Qiso 1.1 released with support for Tiled Editor’s “infinite” maps and quirky map shapes, new functions for layer transparencies, and some extensions to the Tiled map importer to make things like door animations easier.

Today updates this even further!

• Added the ability to pass a callback function to moveCharacter() which fires every time the character moves between tiles along the path. For example so that you can check for collisions with NPCs and switch to a battle.

• Added stopCharacter() to prematurely end a character movement. Same example as above - you might need to end the movement and switch to battle an NPC or something.

Next on the agenda:

• Tile based menu system. I.e. so that tiles containing a banana can all have a “pick up banana” action, etc.

• Lighting system, so that emitters and blockers can be created in the maps that affect the brightness of individual tiles, allowing for dynamic lighting effects.

• Tile positioned audio system, allowing for sound emitters to be created within the world that get louder/quieter as the camera pans over them.

At this rate, I might be able to move one of my long-term projects from RPG Maker MV to Corona. Good work.

Tbat’d be amazing. Do you have a link to your project?

No, it isn’t my tool. I have a game I have been working on using that tool. And no I don’t have anything up yet anywhere. Just a story and a few maps.

Oh it’s the game I meant, not the tool. If the maps are done in Tiled I’d be happy to take a look and let you know how feasible it’d be to get them working in Qiso?

@richard11 - Awesome work!  I’ll download the new version when I get a change.  I love that you added lighting and sound “environmental” enhancements.

Sorry, those bits aren’t added yet! They’re next on the agenda but it might be a couple of weeks before that update.

That’s fine for me, I probably won’t get to really play around with Qiso for a couple months but I look forward to that.

Richard I tried exporting the maps and I can’t. It doesn’t matter, I am not that far out. I can start from scratch. This is what it looks like. Nothing fancy.

Ah, you’d need to remaster those spritesheets anyway if moving to isometric so probably easiest to rebuild the maps too, otherwise you might not spot where the layering needs adjustment.

Creating the graphical assets for isometric games is frankly a bit of a pain. I’m not a designer myself and our designers work on per-project contract, so I can’t afford to have them working on our own game graphics at the moment and have instead had to learn the ropes myself. I’ll be writing a tutorial on how I do this hopefully this week, possibly the weekend, probably next week. Also planning to replace the samples page on qiso.qweb.co.uk with some proper tutorials, and to add a resources section containing some of our own isometric assets. You can already download some from that site but even I’m not sure where they’re hidden away!

Point being, Qiso is hopefully at a point now where it can legitimately make isometric games easier to build, but there’s nothing it can do to simplify the map creation process so I’m hoping to combat that soon by making its website more useful. Might be worth bookmarking that site or following @QWebUK on Twitter if you think this will be useful to you =).

At this rate, I might be able to move one of my long-term projects from RPG Maker MV to Corona. Good work.

Tbat’d be amazing. Do you have a link to your project?

No, it isn’t my tool. I have a game I have been working on using that tool. And no I don’t have anything up yet anywhere. Just a story and a few maps.

Oh it’s the game I meant, not the tool. If the maps are done in Tiled I’d be happy to take a look and let you know how feasible it’d be to get them working in Qiso?

@richard11 - Awesome work!  I’ll download the new version when I get a change.  I love that you added lighting and sound “environmental” enhancements.

Sorry, those bits aren’t added yet! They’re next on the agenda but it might be a couple of weeks before that update.

That’s fine for me, I probably won’t get to really play around with Qiso for a couple months but I look forward to that.

Richard I tried exporting the maps and I can’t. It doesn’t matter, I am not that far out. I can start from scratch. This is what it looks like. Nothing fancy.

Ah, you’d need to remaster those spritesheets anyway if moving to isometric so probably easiest to rebuild the maps too, otherwise you might not spot where the layering needs adjustment.

Creating the graphical assets for isometric games is frankly a bit of a pain. I’m not a designer myself and our designers work on per-project contract, so I can’t afford to have them working on our own game graphics at the moment and have instead had to learn the ropes myself. I’ll be writing a tutorial on how I do this hopefully this week, possibly the weekend, probably next week. Also planning to replace the samples page on qiso.qweb.co.uk with some proper tutorials, and to add a resources section containing some of our own isometric assets. You can already download some from that site but even I’m not sure where they’re hidden away!

Point being, Qiso is hopefully at a point now where it can legitimately make isometric games easier to build, but there’s nothing it can do to simplify the map creation process so I’m hoping to combat that soon by making its website more useful. Might be worth bookmarking that site or following @QWebUK on Twitter if you think this will be useful to you =).