NO_AD_FOUND when specifying namedLocation

Just want to share some finding for future users.

Both chartboost.show() and chartboost.cache()  accept a 2nd parameter (“namedLocation”) that is the location (inside the game) where the ad will be shown. 

That namedLocation variable was supposed to improve your eCPM, but I just found that when I specify that variable (using one of the Chartboost values as “Level Complete”, “IAP Store”,…) I always get no ads available.

I tested both with interstitial and rewardedVideo.

So, if find yourself in the same situation, just don’t specify the namedLocation.

That’s weird. It has been working before without any issue…
I’ll do some testing and see what I find.

@Renato

I tested this today (iOS and Android). chartboost.cache(), chartboost.hasCachedInterstitial() and chartboost.show() all work as expected and cache according to any named location given.

Video ads are scarce though, and can generate a “Not found” response quickly (at least in my location), but I usually get one or two video ads before the inventory depletes.

Hummm. Strange.  Do the use of namedLocations require any extra setup on the Chartboost Dashboard?

No need to configure anything. Named locations are automatically added to your campaigns.

You can check if the named location has been registered by logging in to your Chartboost dashboard and check your campaign.

Under Campaign Logic you’ll see all the locations registered for the apps in the campaign.

Just checked and the named location appears on dashboard. I though that the named location were kind of default words defined by Chartboost and they would automatically match the named location with some kind of named location chosen by advertiser.

But now, looking the dashboard I can see that I can configure the ads that appears on that named location. So, I think the problem of having NO_ADS was just bad luck.

Thanks for the reply ingemar.

The advertisers do not have any knowledge about the Named Locations. They are only used by Chartboost to gather statistics on what kind of ads users click on in a specific location.

If you have several locations in your app where you display ads, it’s recommended to specify a named location as well. This way the Chartboost servers can determine what kind of ads will most likely result in a click for that specific location based on previous activity.

That’s weird. It has been working before without any issue…
I’ll do some testing and see what I find.

@Renato

I tested this today (iOS and Android). chartboost.cache(), chartboost.hasCachedInterstitial() and chartboost.show() all work as expected and cache according to any named location given.

Video ads are scarce though, and can generate a “Not found” response quickly (at least in my location), but I usually get one or two video ads before the inventory depletes.

Hummm. Strange.  Do the use of namedLocations require any extra setup on the Chartboost Dashboard?

No need to configure anything. Named locations are automatically added to your campaigns.

You can check if the named location has been registered by logging in to your Chartboost dashboard and check your campaign.

Under Campaign Logic you’ll see all the locations registered for the apps in the campaign.

Just checked and the named location appears on dashboard. I though that the named location were kind of default words defined by Chartboost and they would automatically match the named location with some kind of named location chosen by advertiser.

But now, looking the dashboard I can see that I can configure the ads that appears on that named location. So, I think the problem of having NO_ADS was just bad luck.

Thanks for the reply ingemar.

The advertisers do not have any knowledge about the Named Locations. They are only used by Chartboost to gather statistics on what kind of ads users click on in a specific location.

If you have several locations in your app where you display ads, it’s recommended to specify a named location as well. This way the Chartboost servers can determine what kind of ads will most likely result in a click for that specific location based on previous activity.