Reporting bug and question about showAd() function

I just finished implementing AdBuddiz and so far everything looks ok. I notice that it is very simplistic though. For example, I don’t see any way to create campaigns that let me choose a CPM like Chartboost does.

I noticed in the documentation that the showAd function can accept a placement parameter. But I can’t tell if that parameter does anything. I assume the placement is similar to a namedlocation in Chartboost, but I don’t see any way to set that up in the publisher portal. So does the placement parameter do anything?

For the bug I noticed (on Android), if you press the home button right before the ad shows or when it is already showing, then resume the application, the ad disappears and will not be shown again. Even if the cache () function is called again, nothing will get shown if I call showAd. The strange thing is that isReadyToShowAd returns true. The only way to fix it is to restart the app (which is not a very good solution for me).

It would be nice if there were a function that we could call to manually clear the cache to prevent situations like this.

Hi,

Indeed we don’t offer the CPM option. Our goal is to make AdBuddiz the simplest and most efficient ad network so we don’t want to have too many options and configurations. We have some deep machine learning algorithms analyzing your audience and optimizing your revenues. However you can always contact us at contact at adbuddiz dot com if you need more insights about your traffic, our goal is to satisfy each one of the developer trusting us :wink:

Regarding the placement option, we indeed support it. If you contact us we can remotely block a specific placement if it’s something you’re interested in.

About the weird behavior, I tried to reproduce it using different methods and devices but unfortunately I wasn’t able to. Each time when the app is brought back to front everything is ok.

Do you think you could send us a simplified main.lua that would enables us to reproduce it?

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I understand the reason for the simplicity, and in a way I kind of like it. I am implementing multiple ad networks in my project and this one has been by far the easiest.

So if I understand correctly, the placement parameter is meant for a specific location where I don’t want to show an ad?

I’ll try to create a main.lua to reproduce the bug. But here’s some more info for now, my device is a Motorola Droid RAZR i, and this happened with both the test ad, and a real ad.

One last question, how does AdBuddiz comply with COPPA? I did a quick google search but found literally no documentation about your service and COPPA.

Hi,

Yes, for now the placement isn’t very useful and we don’t communicate about it. If you have multiple placements you can for now only deactivate some of them remotely. 

Thanks for the sample app that you sent in private, I’ll look at it asap and I’ll get back to you via private message.

For each app you add on the publisher portal, you can select an ad filter to match the maturity level of your app. That way you’ll be sure that the ads displayed will be 100% compliant with your audience.

We don’t collect personal data and aren’t under US juridiction.

Best,

Just posting the logcat output and steps to reproduce:

Reproducing:

The bug only occurs if I press home and then click on the app icon again to resume. If I open it from my list of recently used apps then it works as expected.

Logcat Output:

I Corona : adbuddiz listener I Corona : value = didFailToShowAd I Corona : name = AdBuddizEvent I Corona : detail = AD\_IS\_ALREADY\_ON\_SCREEN V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: didFailToShowAd Task V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: com.naef.jnlua.LuaRuntimeException: ?:0: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.naef.jnlua.LuaState.lua\_pcall(Native Method) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.naef.jnlua.LuaState.call(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at plugin.adbuddiz.LuaLoader.sendRuntimeEvent(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at plugin.adbuddiz.LuaLoader$1$3.executeUsing(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.CoronaRuntimeTaskDispatcher$TaskEvent.Send(CoronaRuntimeTaskDispatcher.java:148) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.events.EventManager.sendEvents(EventManager.java:87) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.Controller.updateRuntimeState(Controller.java:281) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.CoronaGLSurfaceView$CoronaRenderer.onDrawFrame(CoronaGLSurfaceView.java:417) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1622) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1377)

Hi,

Thanks to your help, the issue has been identified and solved.

We have just published a new version of the SDK with the fix, you should be able to update as soon as Corona updates it on the public repository.

Regards,

That is excellent news! How do I know if the plugin has been updated on Corona’s repository? I just rebuilt the sample app that I sent you and it still exhibits the bug.

Hi,

I have just checked and the new version is live on Corona’s repository.

Can you check on your side if the bug still appears ?

Regards,

I just rebuilt the sample app and the bug still appears. I’m not sure that I am getting the updated plugin though. How can I check which version of the plugin the apk is built with? When I inspect the plugin information for the simulator I see this entry:

"com.adbuddiz/plugin.adbuddiz": { "submitDate": 1418149894, "md5": "b92a1259ac72c118d5d9ffcbcac2744c", "publishDate": 1418149894, "url": "http://plugins.coronasphere.com/com.adbuddiz/plugin.adbuddiz/2013.2100/mac-sim/plugin.adbuddiz.zip", "filename": "plugin.adbuddiz.zip", "size": 477 }

The timestamp is Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:31:34 GMT.

Hi Vince,

You’re getting an old version of the plugin.

You should upgrade your Corona version to at least 2015.2539 in order to be able to access the last plugin version :wink:

Keep me posted,

I have the latest public build which is 2014.2511. Without a Pro license I can’t access the daily builds and I don’t really have $400 to spend just to test this out :confused:

I’m sorry I didn’t know about this! I thought it was mandatory to upgrade to 2015.xxxx because of the new 64bit iOS restriction, but as I’m not a Corona expert I guess I made a mistake :wink:

I pushed the update to the old repository as well, test it in a few hours and I’d love if you keep me posted.

Cheers,

Thank you!! I will check again later in the day and let you know. Thanks for all your help.

Hi Vince, did you have time to check the bug fix? I’d love to know if everything is good for you now ! :) 

Hi, I just checked it now with the sample app and…it works! If I hit home and resume the app, the ad is no longer showing but I can still click the button to show a new ad, and I don’t get the “already on screen” error.

Thank you very very much for all your work. I can’t wait to start making money with your network :wink:

Hi,

Indeed we don’t offer the CPM option. Our goal is to make AdBuddiz the simplest and most efficient ad network so we don’t want to have too many options and configurations. We have some deep machine learning algorithms analyzing your audience and optimizing your revenues. However you can always contact us at contact at adbuddiz dot com if you need more insights about your traffic, our goal is to satisfy each one of the developer trusting us :wink:

Regarding the placement option, we indeed support it. If you contact us we can remotely block a specific placement if it’s something you’re interested in.

About the weird behavior, I tried to reproduce it using different methods and devices but unfortunately I wasn’t able to. Each time when the app is brought back to front everything is ok.

Do you think you could send us a simplified main.lua that would enables us to reproduce it?

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I understand the reason for the simplicity, and in a way I kind of like it. I am implementing multiple ad networks in my project and this one has been by far the easiest.

So if I understand correctly, the placement parameter is meant for a specific location where I don’t want to show an ad?

I’ll try to create a main.lua to reproduce the bug. But here’s some more info for now, my device is a Motorola Droid RAZR i, and this happened with both the test ad, and a real ad.

One last question, how does AdBuddiz comply with COPPA? I did a quick google search but found literally no documentation about your service and COPPA.

Hi,

Yes, for now the placement isn’t very useful and we don’t communicate about it. If you have multiple placements you can for now only deactivate some of them remotely. 

Thanks for the sample app that you sent in private, I’ll look at it asap and I’ll get back to you via private message.

For each app you add on the publisher portal, you can select an ad filter to match the maturity level of your app. That way you’ll be sure that the ads displayed will be 100% compliant with your audience.

We don’t collect personal data and aren’t under US juridiction.

Best,

Just posting the logcat output and steps to reproduce:

Reproducing:

The bug only occurs if I press home and then click on the app icon again to resume. If I open it from my list of recently used apps then it works as expected.

Logcat Output:

I Corona : adbuddiz listener I Corona : value = didFailToShowAd I Corona : name = AdBuddizEvent I Corona : detail = AD\_IS\_ALREADY\_ON\_SCREEN V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: didFailToShowAd Task V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: com.naef.jnlua.LuaRuntimeException: ?:0: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.naef.jnlua.LuaState.lua\_pcall(Native Method) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.naef.jnlua.LuaState.call(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at plugin.adbuddiz.LuaLoader.sendRuntimeEvent(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at plugin.adbuddiz.LuaLoader$1$3.executeUsing(Unknown Source) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.CoronaRuntimeTaskDispatcher$TaskEvent.Send(CoronaRuntimeTaskDispatcher.java:148) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.events.EventManager.sendEvents(EventManager.java:87) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.Controller.updateRuntimeState(Controller.java:281) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.CoronaGLSurfaceView$CoronaRenderer.onDrawFrame(CoronaGLSurfaceView.java:417) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1622) V AdBuddizCoronaBinding: at com.ansca.corona.graphics.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1377)

Hi,

Thanks to your help, the issue has been identified and solved.

We have just published a new version of the SDK with the fix, you should be able to update as soon as Corona updates it on the public repository.

Regards,