Requests vs Fill vs Impression

Am I right in my understanding that a request is anytime an ad is requested to show. For example, the image below I have requested over 9.2 million ads to be shown. The fills I’m guessing is the number of ads that have been given to the device? So of the 9.2 million ads I was looking to get, the server sent me 4.5 million. The impressions are the number of ads that were actually able to be shown to the user? 

QGb6Wiz.png

Assuming I’m correct in my thinking, what happens in the case of an ad request failing to provide an ad, does it try a different network? For example, say Applovin has a problem sending ads (which my image above makes it seem that way) do you then send an admob ad instead or does no ad get sent at all? I’m just wondering if I’m missing out on almost 4 million impressions worth of revenue or if those 4 million impressions are possibly being served by another ad company?

This is just a guess, but could it be that Appodeal sends a request to your chosen ad networks and then mediates between the ad offers that it receives and shows the best one?

So what you’re saying is if I’m trying to show 4.5 million ads it will try to request 4.5 million ads from each network, collect all the ads it can, sort by the ads paying the most and then show that one? 

That might be the way it works, but it doesn’t seem to hold true for other at types or other apps I look at. Sometimes the requests are drastically different, like 1 million vs 10,000 different. I guess they may not even bother requesting ads from certain companies if they know it’s going to be low ecpm? 

I prefaced my comment with “This is just a guess”.

yep that’s how mediation works.  your requests will be many times the shows depending on how many providers you have.  If you have 4 providers your requests should be 4x your fill.  It will massively differ if you have floors configured.

Not sure what version of Appodeal you have: the one without the “demand control center” or the one without. For each request Appodeal will send multiple request not only across the network but also multiple request for individual networks. For example appodeal will do a max of 3 simultaneous request for Admob. Each request will have a min eCPM and in some the number and eCPM will vary based on the country.

So all this means is that 1 ad request from your app could fire 3 to Admob, 3 to Facebook and 2 to Apploving. Admob might return 2 of those 3, facebook might return just 1 of those 3 and so forth. If you go directly to admob or facebook you can see the mess in request that they are actually doing.

Now if you have demand control center on you can see and control all these line items and if you don’t you can only control a few like Admob, Facebook and Unity. (There are other things that are different with demand control center on. For example, you control all your keys and you get paid from all the ad providers).

https://faq.appodeal.com/en/articles/2440368-demand-control-center-introduction

I feel like I have no idea what metrics to look at anymore haha. They say their mediation will earn me more money, but when I disable eveyone except admob, my revenue seems to be much higher than having all the other ones enabled. I feel like I’m missing something somewhere, but I have no idea what I’m even looking at really. I’m looking at the metrics now and it literally says I have a display of 100.58%. How can I have a display rate over 100% haha?

I know, I didn’t mean it like it was 100% true. I was just trying to make sure I understand what your guess was.