Signing Android Applications In 3 Easy Steps

It took me a really long time to figure out how to sign android apps. I figured I would give everyone a tutorial about application signing.

Step 1: Go to the Command Prompt (Run/Cmd) (this also works with terminal)

Step 2: Type the following code into the command prompt: keytool -genkey -v -keystore mykeystore.keystore -alias aliasname -keyalg RSA -validity 999999

(replace mykeystore with the name of your application)
(If using Mac OS place sudo before keytool in the command line)

Step 3: The command prompt will ask you for passwords etc. Fill it all in. When it asks if you want to use a different password, just click enter to use the one that you entered previously.

There you go, that is how you sign your android app. Now go to Corona and build your application, browse the folder that you saved it in and your done!
[import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 308963[/import]

So these are the steps to take when you want to build to the actual android market? [import]uid: 19620 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 32983[/import]

Yes sir! It’s that easy. [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 32987[/import]

really? shit…lucky i check the forum first…i almost download all stuffs that mentioned in here http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html#cert … =.=" that’s so must ninjapig123…i’ll try what u said [import]uid: 33180 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33057[/import]

Well I’m glad, the way I do it is so much easier since keytool is already built in Java when you download it. Therefore, you do not have to download any more programs (not even the Andriod SDK). I hate it how Coronas directions page, and googles app signing directions make it so complex, but in reality, its just one line of basic code. [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33084[/import]

How do you then go about putting a description for your APP and all that goodness? is that on a android page i assume somewhere? [import]uid: 19620 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33098[/import]

Awesome! talk about exciting. thanks for the info, i appreciate it [import]uid: 19620 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33101[/import]

Thanks, Ninjapig - really really helpful info! [import]uid: 27636 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33342[/import]

You first sign up for the android market which costs $25. Once you do that, you can upload an unlimited amount of data. When you are uploading the app, you have to upload different kinds of pictures (like a high rez icon photo, a banner etc). After that, you have a place to assign a title to your application, a description (up to 3000 characters), a recently changed section, and promo text. [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33100[/import]

There is a minor error in the keytool string that will cause a Invalid Password error when you select the keystore in Corona. The validity parameter has one too many digits. Here is the corrected code:

keytool -genkey -v -keystore mykeystore.keystore -alias aliasname -keyalg RSA -validity 999999  

Update: The original post has been updated so it’s correct. [import]uid: 7559 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33523[/import]

Yes Tom, I realized that once I created this forum post. Once again, thanks for all you debuging help regarding updating applications! I’m working on open feint support right now! [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33524[/import]

I modified the number of digits in your original post so it’s now correct. Thanks for posting this information to help others sign their app.

-Tom [import]uid: 7559 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33525[/import]

No problem. I would recommend putting this code on your guys offical android app signing and building page. There is no information about it, and it would probably be much easier for people to find than this forum topic.

http://developer.anscamobile.com/content/building-devices-android

Thanks the link you should add the information on, just a recomendation. [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 33527[/import]

You guys are the best. Let’s get this posted to Ansca’s official development pages, it’s a boon. [import]uid: 7472 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 34935[/import]

You guys are the best. Let’s get this posted to Ansca’s official development pages, it’s a boon. [import]uid: 7472 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 34936[/import]

When I try to do this, i get an error saying my key password is invalid. I know i have it correct because I used the same password on the keystore as on the key itself, and i can access the keystore just fine. Any thoughts? [import]uid: 41369 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 37928[/import]

Mark,

If you get that error it means that you have to many digits for your validity. Try removing some 9’s. Look at the exsact number in the post and that is the maximum amount you can have.

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 37930[/import]

a Help to some of you guys.
Do not I mean DO NOT ever use keywords to describe your application/game in the Android Market Application/Game Description section.
Why?

Because nearly 80% of the new developers who register violate the T.O.C for Android Market.
**Your account will be suspended.

Link Please:**

http://www.android.com/us/developer-content-policy.html#showlanguages

Read Under
“Spam and Placement in the Store”

[code]
Developers are important partners in maintaining a great user experience in Android Market.

Do not post repetitive content.
Product descriptions should not be misleading or loaded with keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in the store’s search results.
Developers also should not attempt to change the placement of any Product in the Store by rating an application multiple times, or by offering incentives to users to rate an application with higher or lower ratings.
Do not post an app where the primary functionality is to link to the website or the webview of a website not owned by you (unless you have permission from the website owner to do so).
[/code] [import]uid: 58887 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 38675[/import]

this is one of the most useful posts in the forums! thank you ninjapig123! [import]uid: 24493 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 39029[/import]

When I use the command prompt I get a failure, apparently “keytool” isn’t a recognized command.

Do i need to download jarsigner first or something? [import]uid: 52847 topic_id: 8963 reply_id: 39152[/import]