So long, and thanks for all the "Fishies" - A personal note from Rob

Forgive the pun, Douglas Adams. Only the Corona community long timers will appreciate the pun.

After a long internal discussion and in consultation with my family, I’ve come to the hard decision to say my goodbye to you, the Corona Community.

I fell in love with Corona in 2011. It let me take my passion for game making to a whole new level. Quick fact: I worked full time for an online game company from 1992 until the end of 2000, and as a part-time contractor for several years after that. Quick fact: I actually started programming games (the first thing I learned to program) in 1979 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 before quickly moving to the campus mainframe to pursue my computer game passion. 

Needless to say, computer games have been in my blood for over 40 years. When the iPhone came out and people could develop for it, I wanted to get back to game making. Corona was a much lower barrier to entry for iOS development than the native tools were. Corona was perfect (and still is) for doing this. I became active in the community and Corona Labs brought me on to the team in 2012. And here we sit, eight years later, with the biggest change in Corona’s course just days ahead of us. With Corona Labs’ closing, it’s time for me to close this chapter of my life as well. 

With May 1, 2020 being the last day for Corona Labs, it will also be my last day. I will not be moving forward with Corona’s open source future. It is in good hands with Vlad. Several community members are doing a great job helping others in the community out. I will likely poke my head in every once in a while!

This job has been a blast, but big changes in my life and Corona’s have come about quickly. I have enjoyed helping you every day and will miss the joy that provided me.

I have full faith in Vlad to keep Corona viable, and in the community to continue to pitch in and help. But for me, it’s time to say “So long, and thanks for all the Fishies.”

14 Likes

Bit of a shock. I haven’t been here very long in comparison to other active members and for me you’re the face of this engine. I hope you do stick around on some level. Even if it’s just to poke fun at people :+1:.

Is this the end on just a professional level, or are you giving up the toolset too as a developer?

Who’s going to be managing the forums etc after May 1st? Vlad surely has enough on his plate already…

Most importantly, what’s your next chapter?

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you for everything you’ve done for Corona and for the community.

You’ve been the face of Corona Labs for so many years that I can’t really remember a time when that wasn’t the case.  You’ve been invaluable to the community.

Best of luck in the future and I hope to see you around, Rob!

Best of luck, Rob. You are at heart of this community and there is always a place for you here. I am honored that I got a chance to work with you for over a half of the decade, and thank you for all your invaluable service :heart:

2 Likes

Vlad and I haven’t really discussed who’s going to manage the forums. As far as handling the posts from day-to-day you guys are doing a great job. I’m sure we will talk over the next few days about suggestions on Forum Management and such. 

Rob

Wow! This is like a punch in the gut. I don’t really have the words. Maybe once the corona thing is over or under control, I’ll make a road trip to Cary if you are up to it. I’ll buy you your favorite drink (whatever it is). I hope whatever you do next is great.

Rob, I have to say that I’m disappointed you’re leaving us but I totally get why you’re standing down.  Just want to wish you health, wealth and happiness for your future.

“May the road rise up to meet you, and the wind be forever at your back.”

@agramonte that would be great!

Rob, I will miss your wise advice and guidance, but I wish you much health, happiness and success.

Will be sorry to see you go Rob :-(. I wish you the best with whatever adventures come next! 

@Rob - I wish the best to you and your family in the future and want to say your presence in forums will be missed.

@richard11 asked “Is this the end on just a professional level, or are you giving up the toolset too as a developer?”

Sorry I missed this question above.

Again there are a lot of complexities to that answer. But let me give you this straight up simple answer: If I plan to make any 2D games in the future, Solar2D will above and by far be my #1 choice to go to. 

I’m just not sure how much game making I have left in me. I turned 59 last week. I’ve felt my creativity waning for well over a decade. I just don’t have that creative drive any longer.

Rob

@Rob: thank you for your invaluable stewardship of the platform and particularly the community over the years. Despite having never met in the physical world (something I hope to correct someday!), I think of you as a friend. You’ll be missed, but I am excited for you to start a phase of your life that doesn’t involve daily forum-wrangling. Best of luck always!

You’re not fooling anyone @Rob. You’re a game dev - a special breed that never truly grows up and out of games :smirk:.

Seriously though. Best of luck wherever you go next, and happy belated birthday. Is this retirement then?

Not retirement by any means. I’ll probably need to work until I’m 90 :slight_smile:

Thank you, Rob & all best.

Rob, thanks for everything - especially for seeing us through this transition period!

Thanks Rob. Thanks for all you have done to the Corona community.

Thanks. Wishing you all the best, Rob!

Wow only just saw this! It’s a shock but completely understandable.

It’ll be strange to not have you here, you’ve been Mr. Corona for so long now I can’t remember a time when you weren’t. Good luck with your future plans and please don’t forget about us!