Tiled functionality

This is just a quick list of questions for anyone who knows about Tiled.

1. Is there a way to somehow add multiple tiles at a time? For instance, if there is a background made up of smaller objects, can you drag in 4, 9, 16, etc at a time?

2. Is it possible to somehow fuse or link tiles? By this I mean, if there is a circular saw split into 4 tiles, can they be linked so that they all spin equilibrium to the center of the 4 tiles? (See screenshot) If this is not the case, how can I achieve the effect shown in the screen shot without increasing the tile size?

1. You can select, copy, drag, drop, multiple existing tiles (i.e. already placed.)

2. You can ‘fuse’ these tiles later as part of a group or, you can write builder code to replace the four tiles with a single image later if detected.

However I wouldn’t even start down this road. That seems like a lot of work where there are better ways to achieve the end-goal.

Q: Whose library are you using to import tiled levels into your game?

Note: I’m asking becaues I’m curious, but I won’t really be presenting much help here.  This topic is too large for a back-and-forth forum post and I’m super busy today.  Sorry…

PS - Ponywolf and I approach this a little differently.  He uses Tiled combined with factory code and settings on objects in tiled to ‘build levels’.

I use tiled more as an object placer.  While my code also supports direct layout, factories, and settings on objects in tiled, I don’t focus as much on the latter as he does.

How do I select and copy them? I tried Command + C - > Command + V, but that did not work. I also used the tool in the screenshot, but that did not do anything.

Updated my post above

As for the library, I have PonyTiled installed, but I was not aware of SSK2’s Tiled Library. So now, I am in the process of deciding.

Tiled has a user guide.  You’re going to have to slowly learn about the various features and selection modes.

tiled.jpg

Also, search for and watch the many Ponywolf Tiled videos I linked two blogs with videos links above.

Till you know what you’re doing with Tiled and are ‘strong in Corona’ I’d actually use Ponywolf’s.  He has more docs, vidoes, and the various games here (in Marketplace) made using Tiled.

The thing is you really need to have a firm grasp of Corona before you can make informed decisions about using my SSK2 Tiled loader.

Ponywolf’s is much more friendly to folks who don’t want to dig too deeply at first into the code.

I will take this into consideration. 

@roaminggamer,

Have you considered asking the Tiled site to add SSK2 to their list of Corona SDK libraries?

Hey @sdktester15.  I don’t know how your artwork is organized and to be honest, I’m really newbie with Tiled and building apps with tiles. But from what I can tell, you need to use various layers. You can use a layer for a parallax background. Then a foreground layer that holds tiles that are not interacted with. For instance in sticker knight, the castle tiles appear behind your player. Then you would have a layer of objects that holds the things you will interact with like platforms, monsters, coins etc.  These objects may not be tiles. I might just have a saw as a single object in the same layer as the player that’s not necessarily tiles. 

As said above @ponywolf’s videos and tutorials are really helpful in particular if you’re going to use his engine.

Rob

Thanks, there is still more I need to learn about Tiled.

I’ve spent only 2-3 days with Tiled so far but:

1. Yes, you can select as many tiles as you want from the tileset (click & drag) and then place them on the map with the Stamp Brush tool. Seems to work only for tile (not object) layers though.

2. You can place those tiles in a separate layer and then get them as a display group in code with findLayer(). You can then transform (rotate, etc) the group. The other approach would be to use the tiles to assemble a mini map and export that map as an image; then import the image back into Tiled and use it as a single object/tile.

There might be better/smarter ways.

1. You can select, copy, drag, drop, multiple existing tiles (i.e. already placed.)

2. You can ‘fuse’ these tiles later as part of a group or, you can write builder code to replace the four tiles with a single image later if detected.

However I wouldn’t even start down this road. That seems like a lot of work where there are better ways to achieve the end-goal.

Q: Whose library are you using to import tiled levels into your game?

Note: I’m asking becaues I’m curious, but I won’t really be presenting much help here.  This topic is too large for a back-and-forth forum post and I’m super busy today.  Sorry…

PS - Ponywolf and I approach this a little differently.  He uses Tiled combined with factory code and settings on objects in tiled to ‘build levels’.

I use tiled more as an object placer.  While my code also supports direct layout, factories, and settings on objects in tiled, I don’t focus as much on the latter as he does.

How do I select and copy them? I tried Command + C - > Command + V, but that did not work. I also used the tool in the screenshot, but that did not do anything.

Updated my post above

As for the library, I have PonyTiled installed, but I was not aware of SSK2’s Tiled Library. So now, I am in the process of deciding.

Tiled has a user guide.  You’re going to have to slowly learn about the various features and selection modes.

tiled.jpg

Also, search for and watch the many Ponywolf Tiled videos I linked two blogs with videos links above.

Till you know what you’re doing with Tiled and are ‘strong in Corona’ I’d actually use Ponywolf’s.  He has more docs, vidoes, and the various games here (in Marketplace) made using Tiled.

The thing is you really need to have a firm grasp of Corona before you can make informed decisions about using my SSK2 Tiled loader.

Ponywolf’s is much more friendly to folks who don’t want to dig too deeply at first into the code.

I will take this into consideration. 

@roaminggamer,

Have you considered asking the Tiled site to add SSK2 to their list of Corona SDK libraries?